• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (2 Viewers)

With up to six at Swithland Reservoir recently it was only a matter of time...……

81 Great White Egret

One flew high northwest this morning. A garden first, #91 since January 2017.

Steve

Minus 10 and snowing = excellent at the feeders this morning. Two Grey-headed Woodpeckers as I write, hordes of Great Tits etc . Sparrowhawk earlier, one Treecreeper attending the feeders.

With up to six at Swithland Reservoir recently it was only a matter of time...……

81 Great White Egret

One flew high northwest this morning. A garden first, #91 since January 2017.

Steve

Still a good one to add Steve - we've been here since Autumn 2016 and our list stands at 96 now, we've a long way to go to catch Jos and Ken in the inland garden sub-section of the thread (that I just invented).
At the 30th November we're on 85 for the year, last year we finished the year on 87 but added none in December, I'm racking my brains to think what might turn up (not heard Pygmy or Tengmalm's Owls this autumn locally so they're unlikely), still grilling the Yellowhammers in case a Pine Bunting nips over the Alps from southern Switzerland................

82 Hawfinch 02.12.18

One flew over low and calling, possibly had been feeding in nearby yews. My first in the county this year - there have been hardly any this winter.

Steve

Not my garden, but had a Great White Egret fly over the girlfriends garden near Falmouth on the 19th Nov. Interestingly appears to be the only record in Cornwall the last month.

41. Rock wren.

42. Ruby-crowned kinglet. Another new feeder bird! So tiny, so cute. I otherwise wouldn't have identified this bird if it wasn't staring me straight in the face (so very cheeky too) as I stood right next to the suet cage.

December 3rd. Only a couple more weeks left in the year. Too early to call it?

42. Ruby-crowned kinglet. Another new feeder bird! So tiny, so cute. I otherwise wouldn't have identified this bird if it wasn't staring me straight in the face (so very cheeky too) as I stood right next to the suet cage.

December 3rd. Only a couple more weeks left in the year. Too early to call it?

Ooh, I've never seen a kinglet come to a feeder before! Ours just flit about in the trees whilst the chickadees come down.

Don't give up yet!

Ooh, I've never seen a kinglet come to a feeder before! Ours just flit about in the trees whilst the chickadees come down.

Don't give up yet!

I'm constantly rotating the suet flavors, but I remember it was a unique flavor, either woodpecker's delight or mealworm. Same with the rock wren, 2 of them only came for the mealworm, and nowhere could I find on the internet that they visit suet feeders. Guess I have some adventurous/ravenous birds.

No sooner did I post this and the little one appeared again, and this time I was able to catch him on video and screenshot it! Just swapped out the suet, and now I know it's peanut inside. Doesn't seem too picky. At first I thought it was a hummingbird the way it was flying/hovering at the suet cage.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20181213-151236.jpg
    VideoCapture_20181213-151236.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Not a new one, but an upgrade from flyover to 'sat outside my window'. Very nice female Evening Grosbeak popped in for a few minutes yesterday, calling for friends who never turned up. She was close to but didn't use the feeders - looks like she has berry juice on her beak so must have been full from breakfast.

Just a couple more days to see if I can add to my 84. Two shy of my best year, with some very nice new additions - 5 brand new to the garden list, one of which was a lifer too.

Attachments

• Grosbeak in the garden-small.jpg
    Grosbeak in the garden-small.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 12
Not a new one, but an upgrade from flyover to 'sat outside my window'. Very nice female Evening Grosbeak popped in for a few minutes yesterday, calling for friends who never turned up. She was close to but didn't use the feeders - looks like she has berry juice on her beak so must have been full from breakfast.

Just a couple more days to see if I can add to my 84. Two shy of my best year, with some very nice new additions - 5 brand new to the garden list, one of which was a lifer too.

Come on Amy, surely you're not going to let me beat you?8-P

Richard (stuck on 85 since November)

Just (last night) back from a week away, and trading blue skies for grey! A couple of Song Thrush, Goldcrest, male Blackcap, a single Redwing, three male Siskin on feeders (all good birds)....then what I thought was a Hawfinch emerging left to right out of “the gloom” before perching on a distant neighbour’s oak...then it morphed into a Lesser-spotted Woodpecker!...I was gob-smacked!, last tick was Nov.1st! has to be the last...and no.85.

A Happy New Year to one and All.

I have not seen a Lesser 'pecker anywhere for well over two years, never mind in my garden, so rather jealous Ken. As far as I know there have not been any reliable records in the county (Leics/Rutland) this year but advice is to keep quiet about them if you are lucky enough to come across one.

Steve

I have not seen a Lesser 'pecker anywhere for well over two years, never mind in my garden, so rather jealous Ken. As far as I know there have not been any reliable records in the county (Leics/Rutland) this year but advice is to keep quiet about them if you are lucky enough to come across one.

Steve

It wasn’t in the garden Steve!, it flew out of the forest opposite across the ride and landed in a distant neighbour’s tree. I’ve had several other “possible” sightings earlier this year, but all too brief and at extreme angles from the window. Six years ago I found a single female in the wood opposite in Jan’13, a day later it was joined by a male... and for the first time in my life, I had both together (briefly) on an oak tree. To put that into perspective, I hadn’t seen or heard one in the immediate locale...for at least several years before that...a very scarce and elusive species. However if you look at the BTO’s recent report on their status they are undoubtedly under reported due to their general “unobtrusiveness”, to that you can add Hawfinch and Goshawk.

Cheers

Well,the sun has just gone down behind the mountain here so that’s another year’s Garden List over, my best bird this year here was the Middle Spotted Woodpecker but the winner overall has to be Wari’s ‘White Stripes’ Crossbill (not too subtle rock n roll reference for him there). Enjoy your New Year celebrations however you choose to do them, I’ve got my mother in law staying tonight and tomorrow so spare me a thought garden listers everywhere;)

A Happy New Year to all garden listers, and best wishes for more birds in 2019.

According to eBird Yard Lists my little patch is the fifth most productive garden in the UK this year so I'm pretty pleased with my 82 species.

Steve

Looking back on 2018, I had two “in-grdn.life” ticks...a pair of Jackdaws that visited (briefly each time to my peanut feeder on two consecutive days only), a Treecreeper landing again, briefly on the same tree, before zapping off! To put that into perspective I live adjacent to deciduous woodland, and can generally see both species without too much effort season dependent when I stroll round outback. However two flyover SEO’s seven days apart, was for me as exceptional as it was, being my only Garden “life-tick” compared against just the single Firecrest record!, normally four to five per annum at least...no two years the same.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back