• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica and chromatic aberration (2 Viewers)

Hey F88,

Hang onto your Trinovid forever. It was a short lived version and kind of rare now.
It's nice to find something that fits so well like that.

Got to say I'm really loving the Trinovid and still favouring it over the HD+.
For some reason I find the view easier by comparison although you'd think the HD+ would have the edge (8x42 vs 7x42). By default 8x is my preference it would seem.
There's just something about the ease of view and picture that really works for me in the Trinovid. I just love it's view.
Regarding CA here's the thing, it's when looking at edges and/or not looking squarely through the binoculars and only evident under these circumstances out of the usual viewing area. I'm calling it a complete non issue under consideration and given how much I enjoy the view it doesn't bother me one bit that I can induce this CA if I try because obviously why would you?
Don't get me wrong, if CA was rearing it's head freely left and right I'd take serious issue.
I think Leica cops a fair bit of flack rightly or wrongly about CA but for me I enjoy the view as much or more than binoculars I own that are hard pressed to show CA as much as you try.
Really like the Trinovid view.
Regarding the 7x42 HD+ I had a great view watching a pair of sacred kingfishers protecting albeit not quite well enough their nest in an old termite nest in the fork of a tree. There was a decent sized lace monitor with only it's back half hanging out while the birds repeatedly took turns dive bombing the large lizard. The poor things, even felt like chucking a stick at the intruder but of course I didn't. Have to let these battles of nature play themselves out.
The HD+ most would agree is the technically better binocular but for me the Trinovid is still my go to pair out of the two.

F88, this reflects my own experience and feelings about the 40008 8x42 Trinovid vs the 7x42 UVHD+ exactly!

Ease of view! I've no idea why the 8x42 Trinovid is so nice, but it's the best in terms of ease of view of the bins that I have. Yes, the 7x42 is the better binocular in objective technical terms, but I too usually find myself picking up the Trinovid! Perhaps one could say that the 7x42's view is better, but somehow the Trinovid's is 'nicer'. It seems terribly subjective and unjustifiable, but I know exactly what you mean!

Great to have both!

Hi Beth and Mike,

I was thinking people would say I was crazy.
Interesting that you have similar experience Mike. It's hard to sum up but ease of view is a big point and the view itself is just so pleasing.

F88, this reflects my own experience and feelings about the 40008 8x42 Trinovid vs the 7x42 UVHD+ exactly!

Ease of view! I've no idea why the 8x42 Trinovid is so nice, but it's the best in terms of ease of view of the bins that I have. Yes, the 7x42 is the better binocular in objective technical terms, but I too usually find myself picking up the Trinovid! Perhaps one could say that the 7x42's view is better, but somehow the Trinovid's is 'nicer'. It seems terribly subjective and unjustifiable, but I know exactly what you mean!

Great to have both!

Mike,
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Hi Beth and Mike,

I was thinking people would say I was crazy.
Interesting that you have similar experience Mike. It's hard to sum up but ease of view is a big point and the view itself is just so pleasing.

Everyone else probably DOES think you (we) are crazy! 8-P

The Trinovid 8X42 sure is a good one. I've always thought it was every bit as good as the UVHD+ 8X42. Now vs. the 7X42 UVHD+ is a little different but it's really just a difference in FOV. With the type of birding I do for most of the year a larger FOV if helpful because many times the birds are so CLOSE. So I appreciate a FOV difference of 420ft for the 7X42 UVHD+ vs. 378ft for the Trinovid 8X42. ACTUALLY I even like the Trinovid HD 8X42. I've used it a pretty good bit....it's an excellent performer but without the nice diopter adjustment of the previous Trinovid.

Attachments

• IMG_3183.JPG
    IMG_3183.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 96
I've read in a number of places that the Trinovid 8x42 is the equal of the 8x42 UV at least. Nice to have Chuck say, from his very esteemed first hand experience, that it's 'every bit as good' as the UVHD+. I would agree that the main difference is the FOV. The magnification isn't a big factor to me - I quickly adapt to either, but the FOV is noticeably different.

I don't detect any real difference in contrast between the 8x42 Trinovid and the 7x42 UVHD+. The 7x42 is noticeably brighter though.

A question for non glasses wearers and owners of the 7x42 HD+ . How do you find the eyecups in relation to eye relief?
I have two pairs of Leica binoculars including the 7x42 and both pairs have 3 position eyecups. Retracted, middle and extended, I use both with eyecups extended.
I have heard of longer replacement eyecups with more positions? My main query is if anyone using the 7x42 find that they require the longer eyecups?

I never heard of the Leica Ultravid HD binoculars having longer replacement eye cups.

Is it something new? I believe that Leica's less expensive Trinovid binoculars do have longer eye cups available. It is rather confusing because there were 2 versions of the Trinovids. One was introduced in Jan. 2012 and the 2nd version came out in December 2015.

Bob

Last edited:
I never heard of the Leica Ultravid HD binoculars having longer replacement eye cups.

Is it something new? I believe that Leica's less expensive Trinovid binoculars do have longer eye cups available. It is rather confusing because there were 2 versions of the Trinovids. One was introduced in Jan. 2012 and the 2nd version came out in December 2015.

Bob

I have the 2012 Trinovid which has the same 3 position eyecups as my 7x42 HD+.

I have the 2012 Trinovid which has the same 3 position eyecups as my 7x42 HD+.

I don't have a 7x42 Ultravid HD+. I don't know if it has removable eye cups nor do I know if your 2012 Trinovid has them. If they do I will guess that they might work like the removable eye cups on my 8x42 Ultravid "Blackline" and pull straight off. Your Binocular's Users Manuals should explain this procedure - if they are removable.

The eye cups on my "Blackline" have 3 positions plus 3 additional short locking stops to keep them in position.

This is purely speculative because you will have to determine whether the eye cups on your Ultravid and Trinovid are removable and interchangeable. The oculars, of course, will have different powers.

I don't know how or if this change in eye cups will affect them or even if they will fit and/or work.

Bob

Last edited:
I don't have a 7x42 Ultravid HD+. I don't know if it has removable eye cups. If it does I will guess that they work like the removable eye cups on my 8x42 Ultravid "Blackline" and pull straight off. Your Binocular's User's Manuals should explain this procedure.

The eye cups on my "Blackline" have 3 positions plus 3 additional short locking stops to keep them in position.

This is purely speculative because you will have to determine whether the eye cups on your Ultravid and Trinovid are removable and interchangeable. The oculars, of course, will have different powers.

I don't know how or if this change in eye cups will affect them or even if they will fit and/or work.

Bob

Perhaps they aren't removable? I haven't really tried but they don't seem to easily screw off like they do on my EDG for example.
I was sure I read about longer replacement eyecups, 5 position?
No big deal, I was just wondering if it was a possibility and how it may change the view.
I'm perfectly happy with them as is on the Trinovid as it has such an easy and relaxed view for me but was considering whether a fraction longer on the HD+ would be a benefit.
Either way I'm far from unhappy with the viewing comfort of the HD+.

The eyecups will pull off from their most extended non locked positions. In fact you have to pull the eyecups off the Trinovids (2012-15) in order to see the serial number which is on a ring around the ocular.

The first photo shows the fully extended eycup on the left and my normal position on the right. The second photo shows the eyecup removed (pulled up and off) and the inside groove path which shows that this is possible.

Attachments

• IMG_5737.JPG
    IMG_5737.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_5740.JPG
    IMG_5740.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 110
But Mike, many things in life can be pulled off. They don't always go back on! Where is the pic showing the eyecups successfully replaced and functioning??

Just joking Mike :-O . Nice pics. Thanks for posting.

Lee

But Mike, many things in life can be pulled off. They don't always go back on! Where is the pic showing the eyecups successfully replaced and functioning??

Just joking Mike :-O . Nice pics. Thanks for posting.

Lee

You're right Lee - couldn't get the thing back on. Ended up throwing the binoculars and eyecups in the bin. Would it be OK for BF to compensate me for my efforts? A new UVHD+ 8x42 perhaps? 8-P

Happy Christmas to you! (and everyone else!)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back