• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ZRS versus ED2???? (1 Viewer)

newbirdy

Hi,

Just been reading EdZ review:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthre...ge/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/all/vc/1

I've seen comments made comparing ED1 and ED2. Has anyone tried the ZRS and the ED2 side by side?

My interpretation of EdZ's review is that glare is reduced and there is better resolution in the ZRS than than the ED2.

So I would like to know if it's worth spending twice as much on the ED2.

Am deciding between buying the Nikon Monarch's and the ZRS or ED2, probably 8x. Could go to 10x in Zens as the FOV is comparable to 8x Monarch and 8x Monarch seem to rate far better than the 10x. Any comparisons of Eagle optics SRT also welcome.

Handling versus FOV? I mainly want binoculars for birding, wildlife watching and general bins.

Any help greatly appreciated. Must order soon for them to arrive in time for my kakadu trip.

Cheers :)

I had the ZRS and ED2 at the same time (both 8x). I had a hard time telling the difference. All I noticed was that it was necessary to focus the ZRS more often. The ED2 has a wider FOV as well. If I could afford it, I would have kept them both. I kept the ED2.

Last edited:
I got an unexpected chance to compare 8x43 ZRS and 7x36 ED2s side-by-side yesterday.

I bought the 8x43ED last year and really loved it. Unfortunately, one of the strap anchors broke and I sent it back for repairs. Rather than wait for the welding to be done, the folks at Zen-ray offered to send a replacement. I accepted, and decided to switch to the 7x36. There was a mix-up in shipping and I got a 8x43 ZRS (and a Vista) last week instead of the 7x36. I used the ZRS all weekend. I got the 7x36 yesterday and used it last night and this AM. The ZRS and Vista are heading back to Zen-Ray.

My impressions are that the ED/ED2 are a significant step up from the ZRS. The ZRS is a very nice binocular for the price, but I find the view through the 7x36 to be noticably better.

With the ZRS, I found myself fiddling with the focus frequently, looking for that moment of "pop" where the details really jump out at you. Its second-nature with the 7x36 (as it was with the 8x43), but I struggled to find it with the ZRS. The image in the ZRS is very good (wonderfully bright), but just a tad soft compared to the 7x36. For me, its a really visceral difference - the ZRS feels like a good binocular while the ED2 really feels like a different level entirely. I feel like I'm seeing a significant amount more with the 7x36 ED2 than with the ZRS. I think this is a combination of a huge FOV and huge depth of focus.

I also strongly prefer the ergonomics of the open-bridge design of the ED/ED2 compared to the ZRS. Its a steadier, more natural hand position for me. I know this is just a personal thing, but its important to me.

I suppose my suggestion (based just on my opinion) would be to go for the ED2 if its financially do-able. If not, the ZRS will serve you well.

Seems a few of them go back for repairs from what I have read. Which is not convenient for me being in Australia and having to pay the postage, Seems to be the same with the Monarchs though.

My repairs for my 8x43 ED were because the strap anchor broke. They were optically just fine. I don't really know why or how it broke. I was using a Crooked Horn brand binocular harness that had metal rings in the strap anchors. I wonder if the metal rings wore down a weak spot in the metal bridge that formed the anchor. I'm going to use a cloth strap with the new ED2, just in case. I have an op-tech harness that has cloth attachments.

I was using a Crooked Horn brand binocular harness that had metal rings in the strap anchors. I wonder if the metal rings wore down a weak spot in the metal bridge that formed the anchor.

A friend's Swarovski EL had exactly that same thing happen. The friction of the metal ring gradually wore through the strap lug.

Helpful notes bcl05. Have you noticed any glare or arc in the ED2. Are your ED2's 2010?

I see the 7x36's are a touch lighter at 24 oz's. At this stage I think I would prefer a better image than weight as I don't think I will be an all day every day user. What is the general opinion on weight? Is 27oz's too heavy?

Am buying my first bins and want to get decent ones to see me through for quite a while, without wanting to fork out for alphas.

I haven't noticed any glare or other lighting issues with the ED2s yet. I've used them for about 8 hours total in the field, in a mix of forested and open areas, with bright sunshine. They are the 2010 (arrived on Monday).

Concerning weight, I've never really had an issue with it. I actually prefer binoculars that are a tad on the heavy side - I think I hold them steadier. With a good binocular harness, I don't notice it. I certainly wouldn't make a decision based on a 3oz difference in weight. Others will certainly disagree, but that's my thoughts.

I think that either the 7x36 or 8x43 ED2s would serve you very well. If I could afford alphas, I'd still get the 7x36 and spend the rest on some good books and a great trip.

Last edited:
I was comparing them to the Monarch's, so 150g (6oz) difference. Again, I would prefer better bins and the FOV at 426 for the 8x seems unbeatable.Had considered the Katmai 6x but the FOV is identical to the ED2 8x....but 18oz would be so lovely! ED2 seem like a good allrounder. More than what I wanted to pay originally but I should have a very nice pair of bins! So far ED2's are leading the possible bin trail!
I want them for an all purpose bin, so don't want to go too low in magnification.

OK, I almost wanted to read more about the Alpen Wings in an archery link on your best bins for birding budget buck, but they got carried away talking about the Zen's and seem to have forgotten about the alpen's! I like the ED glass and the weight.

So at this stage I'm wondering...........
ED2 7 x or 8x? Taking in to account I am likely not to get other bins.

I like the extra mag and want to use it for general wildlife watching later, hopefully on a trip to Africa some day. Wherever I read my first reviews they referred to 8x as birders ad 10x for Safari.

Anyway, the thread on archery said there seemed to be little mag difference between the 7x and 8x but had a larger FOV.

For an only pair of bins - what say you?

Between 7x and 8x, I think either would serve you well. I think they have different strengths, and it depends on which is more important to you.

The 7x has a definitely larger FOV and greater depth of focus. I think it makes finding/tracking moving birds significantly easier. I think the edge-to-edge performance of the 8x is somewhat better, but its offset (for me) with the greater FOV of the 7x. I suspect that the breadth of the "sweet-spot" image is pretty comparable between the two, with maybe a slight edge to the 7x. For some people, the lower-quality image at the the edge of the 7x FOV may be distracting. It bugs my wife. For me, I like that its visible, even if its out of focus. If there is movement there, I see it and re-center the FOV. If you think that would be a constant annoyance, I'd recommend the 8x. If not, go with the 7x.

Ergonomically, they are extremely similar, but I prefer the 7x. The space between the barrels on the 8x was just barely wide enough for my fingers (I have fairly thick, stubby, short digits). With the 7x, they fit better. I have a greater degree of "wrap-around" with my hand on the 7x, and it feels like a more stable hold. The difference is slight but there. If I had long, thin fingers, the 8x might be preferable ...

I have a hard time seeing the difference between 7x and 8x regarding magnification, even directly comparing them back-to-back. I would decide more based on the other factors, personally.

Edge to edge and better resolution sound good to me. I also have those long thin fingers, so should be right.

Thanks to everyone for you help!!!!! Zend ED2's it is.

I will also say the customer service received from Charles at Zen Ray has been great.

Unfortunately I won't be able to write in and compare them to a single binocular but the beginning of lots of wonderful birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back