• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray Spotter (1 Viewer)

It just seems to me that to advertize the 7x36 EDII as having a 477' FoV, but when someone points out poor edge distortion, the response is other binocs have edge distortion as well - even the alphas. But in my experience, my alphas have a smaller FoV but no distortion.

To advertize something that's not fully usable is a bit deceiving in my opinion. I've looked thru so called "wide view" 7x35 porros with 500'-600' FoV but only the center is in focus - whoopee! If the 7x36 EDII had used a smaller field stop allowing a smaller FoV without the noticeable edge distortion - then that would have been one less thing I would have found wrong with them. If I don't like something that you do, you're going to have to live with it.

You're right in that binoculars manufacturers should tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help them God...

...But I also think that a pair of binoculars with 75% sharp 8° FoV is more useful for me than one with a 100% sharp 6,5° FoV, even though they have a lesser sweetspot.

Why?

Because you have use for the unsharp edges when finding and keeping the birds in view!

...But I also think that a pair of binoculars with 75% sharp 8° FoV is more useful for me than one with a 100% sharp 6,5° FoV, even though they have a lesser sweetspot.

Why?

Because you have use for the unsharp edges when finding and keeping the birds in view!

I agree. The Opticron HR WP 8x42 being a good example of a 6.5* fov bin with an astonishingly good view for £180 but just not comfortable for use in the field.

I too would rather have a wider, opticlly lesser view.

I, for one, am looking forward to reading the first review of this scope here. They are also "sweetening the pot" with a free pair of 10x42 ZRS HD binos.

The human eye has an extremely narrow "sweet spot" and needs to gaze precisely at the object to get the image sharp, so a wide angle instrument with blurred edges should not be too bothersome to use.

But the eyes move between different parts of the image when using binoculars or scopes, so a decent sweet spot makes it easier to align the eye's visual axis with the instruments zone of sharpness.

So I concur with the advantage of a wider angle binocular even if the edges are not perfectly sharp.
And I also claim that this is a matter of real FOV as well as perceived FOV, rather than apparent FOV.

Perceived FOV is, so far, not measurable, but it is easy to demonstrate by collapsing and expanding the eye-cups of any particular binocular.
It is much a matter of how much of the vision the black rim obscures, that is, how wide it is. Perceived FOV is often called "transparency".

Martin, your Meostar is known to have that transparency together with a wide [real] field of view that is quite sharp at the edges, and a great apparent FOV.
I agree about the virtues of the Pentax scope, too, and that the natural behaviour is to center the object of interest in the center of the field.

But more so with binoculars than with scopes, since the latter easier allow an oblique observation angle, being monocular, and rest on a tripod.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back