• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mistle Thrush singing!.... (1 Viewer)

I've not infrequently heard Mistle Thrushes in full song mid-winter, mind you never for very long though. In fact, Mistle Thrush song must be one of the most sporadic and unpredictable of all our regular songbirds?

The increased temperature forecast for later in the week, might prompt a few more early singers....I heard a few snatched notes of Song Thrush at 3.30pm today (I believe another “early” record for me).

Cheers

In the last week I've heard Dunnock, Wren & Chaffinch in song.
Dunnock and Wren no surprise, but Chaffinch singing now is highly unusual - they usually start singing on 31 January plus or minus only about a day, presumably triggered by increasing day length as it hardly changes with the weather at the time.

Nice blast of Dunnock today, my first, albeit only briefly. Very mild, the Starlings were flycatching again, that's my barometer. :)

Two Blackbirds furiously fighting in the garden this morning - don't know if winter territorial feeding dispute, or something brought on by rising testosterone levels ...

Past the equinox now ... daylight length getting longer.

In Hampshire and Dorset yesterday (25/12/18) I had the following species singing: Great Tit, Blue Tit, Robin, Wren, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Dunnock, Nuthatch, Green Woodpecker, Chaffinch, Stock Dove and a bit of Chiffchaff sub-song, not bad considering it was 9oC, was overcast and drizzling.

Two Blackbirds furiously fighting in the garden this morning - don't know if winter territorial feeding dispute, or something brought on by rising testosterone levels ...

Past the equinox now ... daylight length getting longer.

Oh, those blackbirds - they are always flying across the garden after one another, tweeting frantically as they do.

On another note, I hear wood pigeons and collared doves cooing daily. I have never paid much attention before and I couldn't say how normal that is in December.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back