• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Nature Trek 20-60 x 80 ED (1 Viewer)

1.David.1

Could someone who has used this scope give me their views on it e.g clarity, CA, Brightness, and maybe link to some reviews of it. How does this scope compare to the Helios Field master ED60?? I was going to buy the Helios but now I am thinking of buying the HAWKE second hand instead.

Thank you

Since no-one is volunteering assistance I will offer my limited view.

From extensive discussions with staff at Martin Mere and also In-Focus stores around the country, I would suggest that even with ED glass at that price and spec. you will be pushing it to get a great image at 60x.

I am taking delivery of a used Nikon ED60 tomorrow and faced with the choice of a 30x or a 20-60x zoom I am taking the 30x.

I like Hawke stuff and have a pair of their 8x32 Endurance bins which I have found to be very good.

Hope this is of some limited assistance.

60X @ 80mm is enough magnification to show all the possible defects that a scope could have..In that price range seems more dificult to get a superbly correct unit that one with average optics at the best.This said an ED 80mm scope with decent optics can give a very good view even close to the zoom limit..I had a Vixen Geoma ED 80, probably similar to the Hawke,and enjoyed the view a lot..used it mostly with a 25XWA and ocassionally with the zoom...The Helios is a scope that has gotten very good reviews.Unfortunately the Zoom,although not fixed,is the only avalaible eyepiece to use ,and this can be a limiting factor...
an 80mm at 30X ,is going to have a better image than a 60mm at the same power,both having similar optics..brighter and sharper

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back