Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Tripod and head for Swaro ATX85 and digiscoping

Old Tuesday 22nd October 2019, 04:50   #1
aektame

Tripod and head for Swaro ATX85 and digiscoping

I have a Manfrotto 290+befree fluid head. It seems to works fine using with my Swaro ATX85 but I have a problem when trying to digiscope. The head couldn't lock the scope when I try to look up to a bird on a tall tree and I think it is wobbling when taking a picture.

I'm looking for a new tripod and head which might be Manfrotto 190xpro3/190cxpro3+MVH500Ah. I know these gears work very well for birding but I couldn't find info about using them for digiscoping. Is a carbon fiber tripod more stable than the aluminium significantly?

I use ATX85+TLS APO23+Olympus omd em10, 6 ft tall.

Your comments will be highly appreciated.
Old Wednesday 23rd October 2019, 14:36   #2
Tringa45

Quote:
Originally Posted by aektame View Post
Is a carbon fiber tripod more stable than the aluminium significantly?

I use ATX85+TLS APO23+Olympus omd em10, 6 ft tall.
For equivalent dimensions carbon fibre will be somewhat stiffer and lighter than aluminium, but dimensions are MUCH more important than the material.
For digiscoping with an ATX 85 I think you are going to need something a LOT more substantial.
Browse through the "Tripods and Heads" subforum and read my Tripod Primer there.

Regards,
John
Old Friday 25th October 2019, 05:28   #3
aektame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tringa45 View Post
For equivalent dimensions carbon fibre will be somewhat stiffer and lighter than aluminium, but dimensions are MUCH more important than the material.
For digiscoping with an ATX 85 I think you are going to need something a LOT more substantial.
Hi John,

Do you have any recommendation? In Thailand, birding is not very famous so there is not variety of selections for tripod. They mostly have small tripods in stores. Gitzo is rare. Manfrotto seems to be quite easy to find in the market.

As I have studied, carbon tripod is better in damping the vibration than an aluminium. If you say that I need somrthing more substantial than 190, should I go for 055 instead?

Regards,
Ace
Old Friday 25th October 2019, 07:59   #4
PYRTLE

Certainly, the extra height and weight is critical to using your system for objects above the horizon ( in trees ) and that you are 6 feet tall.
Old Saturday 26th October 2019, 23:18   #5
Tringa45

Quote:
Originally Posted by aektame View Post
Hi John,

Do you have any recommendation? In Thailand, birding is not very famous so there is not variety of selections for tripod. They mostly have small tripods in stores. Gitzo is rare. Manfrotto seems to be quite easy to find in the market.

As I have studied, carbon tripod is better in damping the vibration than an aluminium. If you say that I need somrthing more substantial than 190, should I go for 055 instead?

Regards,
Ace
Hi Ace,

For observing with an ATX 85 the Manfrotto 055 would be adequate in most situations but for digiscoping I think you would need something like the MT057C3. It's only 800 g heavier than an 055 and the height should be sufficient with the angled scope - if not then the MT057C4.

Should these be too expensive, then one of the aluminium studio tripods such as the 475B or 028B would provide a very stable base at the cost of a bit more weight.

You might also like to consider the MVH502AH as an alternative to the MVH500AH.

John
Old Tuesday 29th October 2019, 08:24   #6
aektame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tringa45 View Post
Hi Ace,

For observing with an ATX 85 the Manfrotto 055 would be adequate in most situations but for digiscoping I think you would need something like the MT057C3. It's only 800 g heavier than an 055 and the height should be sufficient with the angled scope - if not then the MT057C4.

Should these be too expensive, then one of the aluminium studio tripods such as the 475B or 028B would provide a very stable base at the cost of a bit more weight.

You might also like to consider the MVH502AH as an alternative to the MVH500AH.

John
Thank you John. I will go and have a look at the store but I'm not sure whether they have MT057C4. If not, I think I will go for 055CXPRO3 instead. One user said that he doesn't have any issue with this combination (055 carbon + mvh500ah).
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: