• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best wellies for birding? (1 Viewer)

Dr_ADH

Might seem an odd question, But I've never owned wellies 'since I grew up', and I'm heading to Papua new Guinea and believe they are essential.
Are there such things as 'decent' wellies, and if so has anyone any recommendations? Ideally I don't want to have to wear thick wellie socks in that enviro if I can help it.
thanks very much
Adam

Travelling with wellington boots in your luggage does indeed take up significant space and weight. I think what the right choice for you is depends on a number of factors:

- How picky are you when it comes to the shoes you walk in?

- Are you likely to find a pair that will fit you wherever you're going? (And bear in mind that in parts of the world (South America, Asia) the idea of a `large size' may be quite different from what you're used to, and that also includes calf size.)

If you are not too fussy and your size requirements aren't unusual for wherever you're going you could go with the `buy local' option, and maybe just bring a set of insoles. (Certainly I find walking on a flat footbed painful.)
Prices are likely to be low in many parts of the world.

If you are more demanding, or if you're worried about size issues, then I would second the recommendations already given: Worry about getting too hot. A format such as Muckboots (which have a stellar reputation) might allow you to fold over the shaft of the boot when you're not going into deeper water, and that may well help with temperature regulation. I used a wellie following a similar concept in the Amazon and it was definitely more comfortable than other wellies I'd used in the past, in particular the `cheap local' option.

I would also recommend making sure you try out the boots while you're still home, and that you experiment with insoles.

Andrea

Hey
thanks everyone for your suggestions. Am definitely going to get some insoles, that's a great tip. Looks like the muckboot form is the way to go.
Has anyone had any experience with the jungle boot format, as am wondering if this might be a solution given the heat and humidity?
Thanks again
Adam

We have to be careful as birders, with footwear. I go for boots that will help with long walks, but many are very inappropriate for birding. We are unique, in that we don't just go for long walks along the footpaths. We tend to wade through brambles and go off the track slightly (within reason obviously), nip through barbed wire fences, crawl around if taking photos, etc. All of which could destroy a very good pair of walking boots.

Similarly, I suspect a pair of wellies could be totally written off on a day on one of my local birding walks!

I had "gaiters", which were kevlar and pretty much converted walking boots into knee-high wellies, and protected them from all conditions, except water sadly.

As I am sure you are back from PNG now. Can you let us know what you ended up with and how you got on? We bird here in Singapore and around the region and wear everything from crocs - my son's favourite and he is in the Singapore Commandos, to a pair of running shoes - my wife and I. Kampong Adidas is worth Googling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back