• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good value 10x50 around 300 - 500 €/$ (1 Viewer)

yarrellii

Supporter
I am not sure if 10x50 get a lot of use around here. The "favourite size poll" says 10x50 is the favourite size of 2,45 % of the users taking part in that survey, which is not a lot. On the other hand, that doesn't mean that many members don't use them as a secondary binocular (I know for sure that some members share other hobbies such as stargazing, where a 10x50 comes handy).

I've tried a number of 10x42, and I never seem to find a spot for that format; it does not give me a lot that a 7-8x42 won't give me. And then, there are situations where I feel I want a bit more reach, and especially a bit more light gathering capability (late birding, where 10x combined with a large exit pupil can shine and, obviously, astronomy).
So I'm in the search for a nice 10x50 that can be used for stationary bird observation (car, shore) or on short walks, where size/weight are not an issue and also that can double as a stargazing binocular (where 10x50 is a classical format). Because of this double use, I can't justify IF, which wouldn't be comfortable for birding. So central focus it is. What is there to be enjoyed between 300-500 €/$?

We all know there are many good value binoculars in different price ranges (the "famous case of the Sightron 8x32" is a good example, but the Conquest HD in the Sub-1000 category is also a typical example). The range of binoculars around 500 € is getting more and more competitive and interesting, and can give more and more performance for a pretty reasonable price. However, brands tend to focus on the x32 and x42 formats, and the x50 doesn't get a lot of attention, and there are way fewer choices.

In short: what 300-500 €/$ 10x50 offer good performance. Size and shape are not crucial, but image quality is. Probably porro is the way to go, but many good quality 10x50 porros are IF, because they are designed for astronomy as a main activity. Any ideas or suggestions with central focus? Is something like a 10x50 Diamondback HD a good advice? Why doesn't Nikon seem to offer something other than the Action EX or the Prostaff 5?
Thank you fellow members :)

Last edited:
Hello Yarellii,

I would not rule out the IF eyepiece focusing binoculars for general use , with very little practice you will be able to use the independent eyepiece focusing binoculars almost as fast as the central focusing binoculars.

People do not give the IF eyepiece focusing binoculars the credit that they deserve , they also have many good points that the CF eyepiece focusing binoculars do not have , ruggedness comes to mind.

I agree that in 10 x 50 , Porro is the way to go.

Good luck with your search.

Cheers.

Attachments

• vortex_v202_10x50_viper_hd_binocular_1567013767_1401563.jpg
    vortex_v202_10x50_viper_hd_binocular_1567013767_1401563.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
42za, thanks for the tip. I have used both "classic" IF binoculars and also a mixed system that had both IF and CF that Steiner introduced in some binoculars and I must say that for me they simply cannot compete with CF for birding. For general daytime purposes like scanning landscape or looking for distant objects they're ok, but when it comes to a more "active" way of looking, it doesn't work for me. For dusk/night time use I have a 8x56 Nighthunter which is indeed impressive, but that I wouldn't recommend as a birding binocular either. Hence my interest in CF for this search. It is a pity that such devices as the Fujinon SMT family (and its clones) does not offer a CF option.

denco The Viper HD looks interesting indeed. Vortex warranty is renowned, but then there's a curious thing with Vortex. While it's prices are really good in the US, over here in Europe they're not that good value anymore. Take the Vortex Viper HD 10x50. They retail for around 600 €, which is +650 $ (I am probably not the only one here at BF who's green with envy when reading the prices you can get optics for in the US). But I'll check the Viper HD out for sure. Thanks again!

Dennis, interesting. I didn't know such a forwarding service existed. I have bought in Amazon.com many times from Spain. Sometimes the border stops the parcel and you have to pay the import taxes, so the prices are not that attractive anymore (same can be said about buying from Japan or Hong Kong). I'll check this out.
Meanwhile, I keep looking for interesting 10x50 CF binoculars within the 300-500 € range :)

Hi Yarellii,

I agree with you about how nice the 10x50 format is.
In this price range, you should take a look at the Kowa SV II.

https://www.kowaoptic.com/optics-range/binoculars/sv-ii-series/552/kowa-10x50-sv-ii-binocular

Like their BD line, Kowa just made a new version of their really good SV DCF.
But I don't think they touched the optical part, they just turned the armor green (which is a good thing on that line).

Their original SV DCF are very good Binos, I really their clarity. CA is present of course, but a lot less than expected (you will only see some in the sweet spot in some light conditions).
I think this SV serie is very very good for the price, the optics are as good as some of the 500 Eur Binos (not the new BDII, of course).

And with the new BDII version out, you can probably find the original one cheaper.
The price is around 300-350 Eur.

I hope it helps

RobMorane, George, thank you very much for your input. I wasn't aware of those models (I mean, I've come across them in the past but never really paid attention to them). It could be just me, but the bodies of both the Kite Petrel 10x50 and the Kowa SV 10x50 look quite similar. Add to this the exact FOV (88 m/1000; 5º) and a very similar weight 715/740... is is possible that they come from the same manufacturer? The weight looks really impressive. However, these will be mostly stationary (stargazing or whether short walk dusk or long range birding), so in this case, that is not an essential feature. I think I'd rather trade some weight for a bit more FOV. I had a 5º 10x50 Pentax SP WP and I thought that, while the view was bright and good, a bit more FOV wouldn't hurt either. I'll see if I can try some of those. Thanks!

Pete, thanks for the tip! Now that I have a close look at the Countryman BGA HD+ 10x50 I find it amusing that they share many characteristics with the couple of binos that RobMorane and George (14Goudvink) just recommended: a roof 10x50 not a lot heavier than 700 g with a 5º FOV (88 m). While you are here; I know there is no such thing as Imagic TGA WP 10x50 (or at least, it is not listed on the Opticron website). However, how does the CountryMan BGA HD+ range compare with the Imagic TGA WP porro family. Does it belong to the same performance group? The Imagic porros are cheaper (as porros usually are), but many times that hides a great performance. Or maybe the porro equivalent (in terms of image quality) would be the SR GA (where there's only the 8x32 available). Thanks in advance for any clarification.

AFAIK the Kowa SV and the Kite Petrel are variants of the Kamakura FMC:

http://kamakura.se/produkter.php

and the Countryman is not.

The Imagic TGA would not match the Countryman for sharpness and light transmission. It was/is closer to the Explorer range. Archive information on the 10x50 is still on the site:

https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-products/binoculars/imagic-tga-wp-binoculars/imagic-tga-wp-10x50

The SR.GA 10x50 was excellent but still not a match for the latest Countryman in my opinion.

https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-products/binoculars/srga-binoculars/srga-10x50

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Pete, thanks again for the informative reply. I could see some similarities among the 3 aforementioned binoculars, but everything is clear now. That's very helpful, thanks!

My thoughts when reading your original post were that it would be hard for a 10x50 in that price range to better the 10x42 FL you have for sale. A second hand 10x50 SLC or Leica BA would be interesting to try, if you could find one; but those may still be over 500EUR.

The SLC 10X50s used, are commonly for sale these days, however if you could get your hands on a Meopta 10X50, that could be another alternative - however as Patudo has stated more $$.

Andy W.

Patudo. Yes, you are certainly right that the quality of the FL is hard to beat. However, I'm concerned about 42 mm not being that bright for dusk birding or stargazing; hence my interest in something from the 10x50 range. I've always had this doubt: whether a 10x42 with a very high light transmission (like the FL) can equal the low light performance of a 10x50 of a lower quality. Once I did a similar test between a 7x42 FL and a mid-range 8x56, and the difference was hardly noticeable, if anything but in the darkest conditions.

Andy, my initial thoughts about "maximizing" value (as in performance/$$$) made me think of porro instead of roof, and also in second hand as opposed to brand new. So I'm all in for a 2nd hand device. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for something like a battered 10x50 Meostar or the like :) I'll keep you posted. Thanks!!

Just to throw another option in: what do you think about the 10x50 Votex Viper HD?
I've seen pretty good reviews (mostly about the 10x42, not the 10x50), but also some opinions regarding the success of Vortex being partly based on its warranty and not only in the quality of their glass. What do you reckon?

I would stay away from Vortex, unless you do not mind sending them in for repair on their stellar Warranty.

If comparing a premium 10X42 and 10X50 in low light conditions and astro, there is a difference. With premium glass I will take the 10X50 for all around 10X use. If ones eyes can use all the exit pupil on the 8X56 yes, there is a difference besides magnification in low light conditions. For most it is the weight that deters many from appreciating the larger exit pupil in 10X. They make some great premium 10X50s today, much better than yesteryear.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back