• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd kori bustard behavior (1 Viewer)

RalphH

My wife and I were watching a displaying male kori bustard in Ngorongoro Crater, Tanzania. The bird walked over close to our car, stopped displaying, and sank down into the grass so that it was barely visible (see photo). There were no predators in evidence. The bird stayed there for more than 15 minutes, and we finally left.

I’ve never seen this behavior described anywhere. Can anyone shed any light on what was going on? Thanks!

Attachments

• A5531CA7-4FD4-499D-848F-B951282AE919.jpg
    A5531CA7-4FD4-499D-848F-B951282AE919.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 30
Are you sure it wasn't on a nest?

Perhaps it was simply resting, many birds have a bit of a siesta in the middle of the day when they've been active, feeding all day.

A

Thanks, Andy. It's certainly possible the bird was on a nest, although it didn't look down when it was settling into the grass. Any nest would have been hidden from us by the tall grass. And it's also possible the bird was just resting, though it seemed odd it would approach us so closely first.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back