Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New Zealand endemics & birding trip

Old Friday 9th March 2018, 07:11   #1
acrocephalus00

New Zealand endemics & birding trip

Hello!
We are planning a 3 weeks birding trip to New Zealand at the end of October - early November. Is there any map showing where the endemics can be found? This would be very useful to optimize the trip. We are just beginning the planning phase, so any tip or suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Dani
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 08:47   #2
nikothomsen

Not a kiwi myself, but i had a great trip in January/february last year with majority of endemics photographed (including three kiwis (the bird)). Reservations for migratory patterns i've forgotten. I'm sure i will be corrected.

Ulva Is. off Stewart Island is great for SI Saddleback, Yellowhead, Red & Yellow-crowned Parakeet and Weka.The football field behind Oban town is great for South Island Brown Kiwi

I had Yellow-eyed Penguin, Stewart Island Shag, and Spotted Shag (punctatus) at Bushy Beach.

Orokonui near Dunedin: South Island Takahe, Fernbird (punctatus), New Zealand Kaka (South), New Zealand Robin (australis), Rifleman (chloris), Tomtit (macrocephala)

A boat tour in Marlborough Sounds should give you NZ King Shag.

East Homer Tunnel will give you Kea and South Island Wren.

Tiritiri is a must! Little Spotted Kiwi North Island Kokako, Brown teal (pāteke), Stitchbird (cincta), North Island saddleback, Whitehead (popokatea)

North Island Brown Kiwi is found at Tawharanui Regional Park

Shore Plover is at Motutapu Is. off Auckland.

NZ Grebe, Wrybill, and Red-breasted Dotterel (as well as a lot of the more common waders such as oystercatchers is at Ambury Regional park and Mangere WTP

Here are the birds that i missed: Pycroft's petrel, New Zealand Storm Petrel, Parkinson's Petrel (these birds will require a North Island Pelagic, didn't go). Black stilt ([kaki], at Tasman Delta, didn't go). Malherbe's parakeet and Great spotted kiwi (at Arthurs Pass, didn't go). Blue duck (Fiordlands NP, missed, hurts). Fiordland penguin ([tawaki], I went on a two day one night cruise in Doubtful Sound and still missed. Apparently this is a very seasonal bird.), Okarito brown kiwi (Heard only, near Okarito). New Zealand Falcon found all over, and definitely hurts the most.

Do not cheat yourself for a trip with Gary for pelagics out of Kaikoura! Albatrosses, Shearwaters and Petrels en masse.

Last edited by nikothomsen : Friday 9th March 2018 at 08:58.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 08:53   #3
acrocephalus00

Thanks! That'll be useful
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 09:12   #4
nikothomsen

Do not forget i've left out a bunch of more common birds, which you will encounter along the way, but keep them in the back of your head so you won't forget them until the plane home
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 09:24   #5
hampers
Hampers

Miranda bird centre near Auckland also worth a visit, superb waders.

Agree re Kaikoura and wherever else don't miss TiriTiri.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: