• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK - Help Please - Have you seen one of these ? (1 Viewer)

Being a non expert birder and new to the forum I was a bit disappointed to see the original post
Dave

There are very few "experts" of which I'm far from it, but I reckon the original post is aimed at only those too lazy to even try and id a bird for themselves.

We all need help now and then, thats not the problem!

However people enjoy there birds whether birdwatcher, birder, photographer I hope threads like this one won't discourage people from posting there ID problems. I really enjoy helping people solve there ID problem whatever bird it is, although admittedly I am getting fed up with domestic/hybrid wildfowl! (bird guides should mention them IMO).

I think its amazing the way you can post a photo of bird and get a knowledgeable response, often within minutes, from anywhere in the world. Long may it continue.

Because he is tired of it - sorry couldn't resist.

Just as an aside if you think a bird is too easy to identify don't bother replying. My wifes father has just been given a bird book - I looked at the cover and one picture and can only assume that he is now going to struggle with the easiest of identifications.

Like Nick I like the easy ones because I have a chance.......

My wifes father has just been given a bird book - I looked at the cover and one picture and can only assume that he is now going to struggle with the easiest of identifications.
Hahaha! I have a more than a few birdbooks that fall into that category...

I don't think this thread ought to be closed at all, people are merely stating their reasonable opinions. I do agree that sometimes some of the pictures do beg the question, 'has this person looked at all' and I would encourage people to try and id their own birds as it is for their benefit. I certainly hope this thread hasn't put anybody off posting their pictures they're unsure of, most of us are always happy to help. And I'd much rather a few people get 'annoyed' by what seems to be an easy id than somebody struggling over an id they just can't resolve, when the help and answer is readily available here. Looking forward to the next domestic duck!

However people enjoy there birds whether birdwatcher, birder, photographer I hope threads like this one won't discourage people from posting there ID problems. I really enjoy helping people solve there ID problem whatever bird it is, although admittedly I am getting fed up with domestic/hybrid wildfowl! (bird guides should mention them IMO).

I think its amazing the way you can post a photo of bird and get a knowledgeable response, often within minutes, from anywhere in the world. Long may it continue.

For me it is a very good conclusion...

Why?

Sense of humour failing?

My sense of humour is fine, 'some' are being light hearted on here.

I am an active member on a number of forums covering different subjects and this type of argument (and for some it is an argument) always crops up.

Why on earth does it matter if a beginner posts a picture on here of a bird that is easy for others to identify but not the OP? Sometimes i look through the single bird book that i have and still cant identify it. Others dont even own a bird book, so why not utilize the internet to identify it? Is this forum only for rare birds that just the experts can deliberate over for a few days.

There are many other reasons why people post pictures on here for identification - its not just because they couldnt be bothered to open their book.

Do the rules for using this forum say - No newbies? No common birds? No posting unless you have referred to several books first?

Same old story with forums unfortunately, people have very little patience when things aren't done the way they would have it done. I just didnt expect to see it on this forum.

Shall we get back to identifying birds and encouraging them with their hobby? No more comments from me - I am too tired.

I have a feeling that pictures have been posted not for "i.d." but mainly because the poster wants to show off their photography skills and see someone write "great picture by the way".

By the same token, I think some repondees like see the thread as a bit of a competition, and don't like being told they might be wrong.

Neither of which is necessarily too bad - it's a public forum so who's to start getting uppity about what appears?

Personally I find it an interesting challenge to try and have a go at some pics, even if i don't post. I've certainly learned a thing or two, and i'm also happy to share experience when i know I'm on safe ground (hence banging on about tits but shutting up about pipits!).

At the end of the day, it's easy to scroll down or press 'backspace' if you don't like it. Like a park, this space belongs to almost everyone and you have to take the skaters and the chav footie matches along with the benches and duck pond.

......but these days people with a computer and no real friends find it easier to have everything given to them rather than go through an educational learning process.....

Seamus
It's a general trend in accessing information, not confined to birding, Séamus. I gave a Civics/Politics class of 15-year olds a simple homework task some weeks ago, I asked them to find out who had won the Polish elections the day before, and what their platform was. Two kids in the class said they wouldn´t be able to find out because their PC´s were broken at home. (Apart from TV, newspapers, asking parents, etc., the real irony here is that 8% of the population of Ireland is...thankfully...now Polish. All they had to do was ask someone in a shop!)

I have a feeling that pictures have been posted not for "i.d." but mainly because the poster wants to show off their photography skills and see someone write "great picture by the way".

By the same token, I think some repondees like see the thread as a bit of a competition, and don't like being told they might be wrong.

Neither of which is necessarily too bad - it's a public forum so who's to start getting uppity about what appears?

Personally I find it an interesting challenge to try and have a go at some pics, even if i don't post. I've certainly learned a thing or two, and i'm also happy to share experience when i know I'm on safe ground (hence banging on about tits but shutting up about pipits!).

At the end of the day, it's easy to scroll down or press 'backspace' if you don't like it. Like a park, this space belongs to almost everyone and you have to take the skaters and the chav footie matches along with the benches and duck pond.

Agreed to a lot of points, and the reason that I started this thread,(Aside from abject frustration! ) was not to alienate anybody or not let anyone play! but to highlight the fact that there are primarily 3 types of posts happening here - Absolute beginners or indeed photographers who literally have no idea and no inclination to investigate what they have seen (and quite rightly so in some cases), People that have visited foreign climes and have no idea what bird a is etc, and lastly tricky ID situations from Birders who have already had a genuine stab at an ID.

I am happy for 2 and 3 to co exist , but when you are getting Joe Bloggs from London asking for an ID of a Blackbird , then a Wren , then a Dunnock , you have to wonder if there is any point in his posting , especially when he says " I cant find this in any book" Where is he looking ??? A dictionary!

I propose that the ID Forum gets split into a minimum of two sub categories (possibly three)

1) I have little Idea about birds, but would like someone to tell me what this is
2) Birds I took on my Holidays - local experts please
3) Experienced and tricky ID conundrums

You can then choose as to where your true destiny lies ;)

Just my two penneth

Si.

The trouble with that Si, is every now and then we get a "is this a Chaffinch, my mate thought it is and I'm not sure".... and its a Blackpoll Warbler

The trouble with that Si, is every now and then we get a "is this a Chaffinch, my mate thought it is and I'm not sure".... and its a Blackpoll Warbler

Or an Ovenbird in a West Midlands garden......

I think that a split of the ID forum should at least be discussed. I don't think anybody is suggesting that inexperienced observers shouldn't post photo's. Of course they have as much right as the more experienced. However it does make me laugh to see "well I don't have any fieldguides, etc..." as an excuse. Er, you have internet access don't you? Well go on to Amazon and buy a fieldguide!

There's an excellent example elsewhere, relating to a Terek Sand, of how a thread can be used for benefit, AFTER consulting with books. That way, everybody learns something.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back