• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery bird ID help? Kaeng Krachan, Thailand (1 Viewer)

Duskyjay

Hi Everyone!

This is my first ever post to BirdForum and am hoping someone here might be able to help me with the identification of a bird I saw whilst visiting Thailand this February. To help ID, I made the following notes:

1) The bird was seen in Kaeng Krachan National Park, at Phanoen Tung campsite on the nature trail there.

2) It was about the size of a UK song thrush / blackbird.

3) It had a white head, orange bill, rufous wings/back and a long tail (visible under the branch it's perched on). I only saw the underside of the tail, which had white cuckoo-like patterning.

4) It was calling, giving two short notes followed by a rising bubbling call, which it repeated several times.

I also took the attached photos.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated! I can't find a good match for it in my Birds of Thailand book and would love to be able to give it a name!

Thank you in advance,

Duskyjay

Attachments

• IMG_5740.JPG
    IMG_5740.JPG
    386.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5741.JPG
    IMG_5741.JPG
    359 KB · Views: 30
I think this is Collared Babbler.
That's correct on current taxonomy (IOC). It was split in 2006 from White-hooded Babbler (Gampsorhynchus rufulus torquatus) to become Collared Babbler (Gampsorhynchus torquatus). However it's still shown in the relevant field guides as White-hooded Babbler ssp. torquatus.

Thank you!

Hi,

Thanks for the quick feedback. That's fantastic news, thank you for your help. I'll go and look at my ID book for all the details. Again, thank you so much! Mystery solved!

Thanks,

Duskyjay x

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back