• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Ecuador (Copalinga-Bombuscaro area) (1 Viewer)

Riqui

Riqui
I have been recently in Ecuador and there are some birds I cannot identify from pics. Could you plase help me?
The first pic. looks some kind of manakin
The second one have female and male swallow tanagers, but the bird in beween them is... some kinf of elaenia?
The third one is a raptor, but the tail pattern is confusing to me

Attachments

• 163 Pájaro - Copalinga - Ecuador 2017.jpg
    163 Pájaro - Copalinga - Ecuador 2017.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 231 Pájaro - Copalinga - Ecuador 2017.jpg
    231 Pájaro - Copalinga - Ecuador 2017.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 233 Pájaro - Copalinga - Ecuador 2017.jpg
    233 Pájaro - Copalinga - Ecuador 2017.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 52
I'd go for Roadside Hawk, cere is odd with just a yellow blob?

Not a chance with the Manakin from this shot I dodn't think, someone with more experience than me, may have a go at the Flycatcher?

A

Last edited:
Thank you Andrew and Andy
The raptor: I agree with Roadside hawk (with the rather strange cere).
The manaking, imposible with this pc.
And both Eastern and Western wood-pewee are common in Copalinga, but no way to get ID with the pic.
Thanks a lot to both of you
Ricardo

Just a thought. Could no. 1 be a female fruiteater (e.g. Pipreola riefferi)?

It looks like a little bit a Fruiteater, but the size was much smaller and this fuiteater has not been register in Copalinga up to now. Other pipreolas has been register there (P. squamipectus and P. chlorolepidota) and also the Scaled fuiteater, but all of them hace a remarkable white eye.
There are also chances for female Jet manakin or Green manakin that have been recorden in the area.
Unfortunately the quality of the pic is so poor that is difficult to say

The combination of range, altitude, dark bill, legs, and eye, longish tail and dullgreen plumage makes this a Green manakin for me.

For the Flycatcher I think the possibilities are Euler's, Olive-chested and Bran-colored Flycatcher. Structure is wrong for a Pewee. Even though it reminds me most of Euler's Flycatcher, that species should have a yellow lower mandible. Olive-chested should have an olive chest (duh!) and a whiter belly. And Bran-colored Flycatcher should probably show at least some streaking.

Some of the female Black-Tyrants (e.g. Andean B-T) look surprisingly similar but don't occur in the region, I believe. Thus, I'm still undecided on this one.

Agreed on the Roadside Hawk

For the Flycatcher I think the possibilities are Euler's, Olive-chested and Bran-colored Flycatcher. Structure is wrong for a Pewee. Even though it reminds me most of Euler's Flycatcher, that species should have a yellow lower mandible. Olive-chested should have an olive chest (duh!) and a whiter belly. And Bran-colored Flycatcher should probably show at least some streaking.

Can you clarify why the structure is wrong for a Pewee? It looks fine to me, particularly with the peaked rear crown, which is much better for a pewee than the more round-headed species you mention.

It's interesting to hear, that you think the head shape fits better for Pewee, as I feel the exact opposite way. The Pewees I have seen had a more upright posture and a clearly visible crest, giving the bird a triangular head shape even when the crest wasn't erected. Their body shape was more elongated and rather belly-heavy than breast-heavy as this bird is.

What furthermore doesn't fit for Wood-Pewee are the dark lower mandible, the brownish woodbars (instead of grey), the strong eyering and the brown, rather than grey ventral side

Maffong

It's interesting to hear, that you think the head shape fits better for Pewee, as I feel the exact opposite way. The Pewees I have seen had a more upright posture and a clearly visible crest, giving the bird a triangular head shape even when the crest wasn't erected. Their body shape was more elongated and rather belly-heavy than breast-heavy as this bird is.

What furthermore doesn't fit for Wood-Pewee are the dark lower mandible, the brownish woodbars (instead of grey), the strong eyering and the brown, rather than grey ventral side

Maffong

I've seen loads of pewees and their posture varies, so I don't think that can count as a factor. The bird in the picture has a slight peak at the rear crown. It's not as obviously triangular as pewees sometimes can be, but again this is quite variable (just check online photos). I can't even see the lower mandible clearly and, again, the pale colouration isn't always obvious (check photos online), so I'm not reading anything into that. The eye-ring isn't particularly strong with just a pale patch at the rear of the eye and not a full eye ring. This is fine for wood-pewees. The wingbars look dull whitish to me, although I'm not totally sure how accurate the colours are on this photo.

Also, although it's hard to be sure of, it looks long winged to me, which would suggest one of the migrant flycatchers. Most resident flycatcher have very short wing tips.

I too dismissed a pewee for the same reasons as maffong. I held off commenting because I couldn't fit any more likely species like bran-coloured for one reason or another. Still don't think it's a pewee, though

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back