• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

First sighting report on the Northern Harrier today was from Brancaster then Thornham later.Traveling down from N wales in the morning hope to be there for first light should we go straight to Brancaster or Thornham? any local birders that could help or is it toss the coin ,john

I have seen it once at Thornham, but each time I have attempted to see again, I have not been lucky! But SOMEONE;) I know has seen it several times and they recommended Thornham as the best place to be.

Follow signs for 'The Lifeboat Inn' just before you arrive in the village of Thornham, on the left hand side (coming from Holme direction). Follow the road straight down (Staithe Lane) do not follow the right hand bend which goes to the pub. Stand on the sea bank on the left of the road about half way down or near/past the boat house (on right hand side).

It may not have been seen this morning because of the drizzly poor light, conditions, it brightened up in the afternoon and it was seen!

Good luck!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

A great self-found Norfolk tick this afternoon - we were going to Horsey but the number of cars parked along the track (and nearby road verges) persuaded us to go on to Waxham instead. No sooner had we got to the beach than this flew north along the tideline and landed in front of me. Well chuffed!

All the best for 2011!

Andy

Blimey!!!! Congratulations!!!;):t:

A miscellany

The fascinating report on the geodiversity of County is available as a free download from (amongst others): http://www.nbis.org.uk/documents/Norfolk'sEarthHeritage_Final_Screen_version.pdf

Some brilliant pix of Bittern at Scrumptious-shore are on Ben’s blog: http://bensbirding.blogspot.com/

It was good to hear that there’d been another Norfolk Red-flanked Bluetail in October- at Trimingham. (Does that now make 6 ?) Less pleasing was that apparently it had been suppressed from some local birders, causing ill-feeling.

This hasn’t yet appeared in the BBRC’s Work-in-Progress files. In fact, there are currently only 8 records submitted nationally- from the 30 or so seen last autumn.

On the way back from a (successful) trip to see the Iceland Gull at Lowestoft, I chanced across around 10 Waxwings seen from the car. They were in a tiny bare tree opposite the entrance to Riverside carpark. Nice self-find to start the year!
Cheers,
Jim.

I am reliably informed that there are Lady A's amongst a collection of exotic pheasants and other manky birds in Hindolveston but as one or several have pointed out probably an escapee.

Just wanted to thank those who have helped with tips and weather updates, cheers lads.

Connected with The LWFG and also enjoyed views of 2 Egyptian Geese, White Fronted Geese, Pink Feet, and of course plenty of Taiga Bean Geese. The bird is mobile but does seem to favour Cantley end for long spells. Views from School Lane in Cantley are really only good if the geese are north of the raised railway, so Burnthouse Lane was the better option. Park just before the railway line, and take the path across to the river bank to view if neccessary (you need wellies or good walking boots). But today the LWFG was quite close to the railway line, so was viewed both from the gate just past the railway crossing, and better still from 100 metres back up from the railway crossing on Burnthouse lane, just into a field by some cottages that provides an elevated position to scan. The bird was with many Bean Geese, and several WFG flew in providing excellent comparison with the LWFG. The latter's body bulk was 15-20% smaller, and it was slightly shorter. The yellow eye ring was visible but not thru my Opticron but thru someone's Swarovski scope.

I then moved onto West Rudham in north norfolk (an hour away) where I quickly located the Lady Amherst's Pheasant by the t-junction by Houghton deer park. Take Mill Lane in West Rudham off the A148 (though it and Limekiln Lane are not marked by street name signs!), and follow it for about a mile to the deer park & the obvious t -junction. The pheasant favours the roadside scrub within 100 metres of the junction, but if harried too much it does get deep under the ivy bushes. A few photographers were apparently kicking it out of the bushes today! I have not seen one of these previously, and I doubt i ever will. Just like the Wolferton Golden Pheasant's, it is not pure apparently but good to see nevertheless.

The Northern harrier twitch was frustrating, with it being seen at 8.30am apparently and then not again until nearly 2.30pm. Brancaster Staithe harbour is worth checking, but it eventually showed from Thornham Point (Staithe Lane) but looking somewhat inland. Eventually it came over and showed superbly infront of 40 birders gathered at the car park at Thornham Point (Staithes Lane) but those in the know seemed to prefer an area of reedbed back towards Thornham village. Indeed that is where it first emerged in the afternoon. The coastal footpath leads to that point if you prefer.

A tiring but successful day for me.

Last edited:
Follow the road straight down (Staithe Lane) do not follow the right hand bend which goes to the pub. Stand on the sea bank on the left of the road about half way down or near/past the boat house (on right hand side).

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

.........or even the Coal Barn. ;) :eek!:

Today's highlights

For anyone that is interested, I have been trying to beat my Titchwell yearlist total of 206 from a few years ago. With the threat of the sales tomorrow, my year is now over. The 40 fly-over white-fronts took my final tally to 209.
The total could have been even higher but at least 4 species have passed me by over the festive period.
Anyone up for 210 in 2011?

All the best for 2011

Paul

Fantastic total Paul - and see my article at http://217.158.75.180/webzine/article.asp?a=2475 which should interest you!

Cheers

Andy

Just like the Wolferton Golden Pheasant's, it is not pure apparently

I agree that the Houghton pheasant isn't pure, but are they Wolferton birds not pure too? I'm yet to see any convincing evidence that this is the case, though I'd love to hear from anyone who can supply this.

The Wolferton birds belong to the dark-throated form 'obscurus' which is a variant that seems to occur in captive and small feral populations. It is often mooted that it arises from hybridisation but I think it's also possible that it occurs as a result of inbreeding. Allegedly the Wolferton pheasants never used to have dark throats (though I would welcome proof of that - could it be that people just weren't alert to it and looking for it?). If that's true, and they acquired the dark throats through hybridisation, then it's surprising that no pure Lady A's or first generation hybrids have been seen in the area (unless they have, but I've not found any reference to them if so, and certainly not seen them myself). Of course it's possible that impure birds were released in the area after a population of pure birds was already established, and that these have now infiltrated the whole population, but I suspect not. In-breeding is likely to occur in captive populations as well as tiny feral populations, and is likely to create mutations, so it is not surprising that a recognised mutation might occur within the dwindling Wolferton population without any hybridisation taking place. If this is correct then as the Breckland population declines we might expect to see the same thing happening there, and sure enough the last Golden Pheasant I saw in the Norfolk Brecks a couple of years ago did indeed have a dark throat, albeit not as dark as on the Wolferton birds.

A few photos of dark-throated and normal Golden Pheasants here if anyone's interested.

I agree that the Houghton pheasant isn't pure, but are they Wolferton birds not pure too? I'm yet to see any convincing evidence that this is the case, though I'd love to hear from anyone who can supply this.

The Wolferton birds belong to the dark-throated form 'obscurus' which is a variant that seems to occur in captive and small feral populations. It is often mooted that it arises from hybridisation but I think it's also possible that it occurs as a result of inbreeding. Allegedly the Wolferton pheasants never used to have dark throats (though I would welcome proof of that - could it be that people just weren't alert to it and looking for it?). If that's true, and they acquired the dark throats through hybridisation, then it's surprising that no pure Lady A's or first generation hybrids have been seen in the area (unless they have, but I've not found any reference to them if so, and certainly not seen them myself). Of course it's possible that impure birds were released in the area after a population of pure birds was already established, and that these have now infiltrated the whole population, but I suspect not. In-breeding is likely to occur in captive populations as well as tiny feral populations, and is likely to create mutations, so it is not surprising that a recognised mutation might occur within the dwindling Wolferton population without any hybridisation taking place. If this is correct then as the Breckland population declines we might expect to see the same thing happening there, and sure enough the last Golden Pheasant I saw in the Norfolk Brecks a couple of years ago did indeed have a dark throat, albeit not as dark as on the Wolferton birds.

A few photos of dark-throated and normal Golden Pheasants here if anyone's interested.

Thats interesting, cheers Dave.

I think many people pay little attention to these exotic birds, as is proven by my post!

While it might not take things too far into the past i can confirm that at least one of the Wolferton males was dark-throated in March 1990. It had me puzzled enough to revisit the site (though dipped), suspect the possibility of hybridisation (or on rethinking much later inbreeding) and consequently Golden Pheasant never made it on to my list.

Any Lady Amherst's Pheasant in Norfolk will be of recent release or escape origin. There has never been any sustained breeding in Norfolk (in fact probably no pure breeding at all). This bird seems to show some red on the belly, thus suggestion that it has some Golden genes in it anyway (anyone else any thoughts on this?) Any interest in this bird must therefore, surely only be aestheic (if it's escaoe pheasants that turn you on!)

PS as to when it shows, I am not sure!!

Hi Dave

I note that photos of Bromyard Lady Amherst's Pheasants also show redness on the belly of males, so this is not just a feature with the Norfolk & Pensthorpe birds. Could this be a mutation over years of inbreeding in the same way Golden pheasants have developed black throats? Apart from the small patches of red on the underparts, this bird looks a pretty good candidate to me, not that I am any expert.

I guess the lack of any known birds in the area suggests it is an escape, but I just wonder whether we should be so quick to dismiss it? How many Lady A pheasants are known to be kept in collections in Norfolk?

Can't see much mileage in this bird. I don't know how common captive birds are in Norfolk but would suspect very. Widely sold in the UK from £15 upwards with pure birds rare and the vast majority of captive birds being impure birds looking very much like this one (with varying amounts of red on the belly).

Last edited:
Hi Melodious, I am sure that is right, but are there any pure ones still out there? I wonder how many like this have been ticked?

Being ornamental introduced birds, I almost feel that if any are ticked what is the difference here. I have never known where the remnant population is, if any are indeed still in existence.

Hiya Wolfbirder. 3 males left on the Greensand Ridge, Bedfordshire as of last spring. Believe they're on a private site and specifics are not being revealed- before anyone asks i don't have details. Lets face it they'd get kicked to death if the site was put out. They may be audible from public areas but you would have to get a local to talk to you. As they aren't visable who knows if they're pure? There certainly have been stray Goldens in Bedfordshire over the years. Lets go Dutch anyway and then we'd lose no sleep over Cat C's!

Cheers Melodious, done a bit of googling seems there are only 3 males left there from the original introduced population, very sad.

You are right, this bird clearly is semi feral, though personally I do not see much difference between those birds once introduced in Bucks, and and any scrapping around in the countryside of Norfolk that may also have been from an introduced stock. I know there are counter arguments here, it's just the way I feel about these pheasants.

Can't see much mileage in this bird. I don't know how common captive birds are in Norfolk but would suspect very. Widely sold in the UK from £15 upwards with pure birds rare and the vast majority of captive birds being impure birds looking very much like this one (with varying amounts of red on the belly).

There are a few records of different pheasants in Norfolk each year. There are small 'populations' of Reeve's and even Silver Pheasants. It seems (although I have no proof of this) that a variety of different species are 'purposefully' realeased by shooters (or prehaps accidently, where the origins of chicks have not been checked!!)

Golden Pheasants continue to decline quickly, with only two or three known sites in the Norfolk (plus more in Suffolk) brecks, plus the Wolferton birds. If these birds are inbred, then they are surely as tickable as any others as part of what was a self-sustaining popultion (their decline due to habitat lose, not due to them not being self-sustaining if the habitat had remained (if that makes sense!!) as with the Wayland birds). I too would like to hear from anyone who can back up the hybrid theory, as it is often stated, but not qualified (I am not saying they are not, just that I remain to be convinced!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back