• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (12 Viewers)

Hi all this is my first post, been lurking for a while but not had anything of note till now. Stopped off at Strumpshaw and had great views of the Osprey and a rather dark Marsh Harrier in same Fov lovely comparison.

Welcome to Birdforum.
I too have been guilty of far too much lurking of late; a near-fatal bout of 'man flu' coupled with an exhausting return to work have left me with little time and little to report.

Enjoyed a super Bat walk round the patch last night; details on the Norfolk Mammals thread.

Finally got out and about today, hitting up Waxham. Bush bashing at Shangri-La and the Pipe Dump produced zilch, except for resident Mipits and Stonechat. Of note were 100's of House Martins with a few Swallows thrown in. Yes, the winds were all wrong for Passerines but I really thought a Pied Fly or Restart might be in the offing. My prediction of an OBP falling on deaf ears.

Decided to walk back along the beach and enjoy the daily commute. Enthralling views of Gannets fishing in close, and on the sea were plenty of Guillemots and Red-throated Diver, many still in partial Summer plumage. Finally had something a little different, a Black tern closely followed by a Little Gull. Good to get my eye in on these.

I continued the day at Happisburgh, Bacton and Walcott- more sea watching. More of the same- except for the 2 star species from before- with a few Waders predictably on the beach at Walcott. Watched the Turnstones for ages, forgot what time it was and only recently ended up back home. Happy days!

Cheers,
Jim.

As a few Buntings are now being found we have started to seed the area just West of Salthouse beach car park. Probably not much hope until the natural seeds on the shingle ridge are eaten, but something might turn up,so worth 10min or so if you are in the area.
News will be put out of anything that turns up, approx 12 hrs after the sighting, 24 hrs for anything rarer than Lap or Snow o:D

John

For you that would be very quick, especially if it's a redpoll;)

you need to phone an information service direct, with the correct information, at the time.

Many thanks for informing me of something that I both knew- and did:
The info was . . . also passed to one of the bird news dissemination services.

I cannot be held responsible if voicemails are not checked, or if it is decided by whomever that my record is untrustworthy, and will bear all this traducement in mind in future, when deciding if a record is worth broadcasting- if this is the result when not suppressing, . . . ! (It has been known for me to find birds that have been seen by large numbers of others.)

The following is extracted from an email sent to me today: “Hope you survive the deluge of toys thrown out of prams by occupants in a paddy at not being instantly informed of an unconfirmed species sighting at Gramborough Hill yesterday morning, this behaviour exemplifies perfectly why I choose not to be part of the modern birding scene.”

This morning, many hundreds of House Martins were flying west along the coast, in parties of up to 50. Whilst at West Runton, 2 Mistle Thrushes gave (presumably) similar vismig and a Wheatear was in one of the fields.

The male Stonechat at Gramboro’ may be becoming slightly more camera-friendly. It has been fascinating to witness the changes in its plumage from a first-winter SibeChat lookalike to how it is, literally, today.

Attachments

• 020pse.jpg
    020pse.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 101
Just returned from Buckingham Marshes, I was quite shocked and delighted to see a Ruddy Shelduck, hanging out with the Greylags and Barnacles.
I'm guessing this might be the same bird that was seen on Breydon water in the week? Anyone shed more light on this?

The following is extracted from an email sent to me today: “Hope you survive the deluge of toys thrown out of prams by occupants in a paddy at not being instantly informed of an unconfirmed species sighting at Gramborough Hill yesterday morning, this behaviour exemplifies perfectly why I choose not to be part of the modern birding scene.”

QUOTE]

I am surprised by the bolded part of this comment and I am sure others will be surprised if a message left on a news service info line is not picked up or broadcast, especially from someone with provenance like yourself, especially of a rare - quite difficult to catch up with in Norfolk (and especially some of the 'rubbish' that does come out unchecked!)

Jays

During the day had a good number of Jays flying west along or just inland from the coast around Kelling/Salthouse, anyone else notice this?

John

During the day had a good number of Jays flying west along or just inland from the coast around Kelling/Salthouse, anyone else notice this?

John

3 seen at Kelling this afternoon, very interesting.
Sparrowhawk cruised low (Around 4 feet off the ground) over the airfield and a tit flock (mostly long-tails) on Muckleburgh hill promised something small with yellow brows but did not deliver.

Watched a Snow Bunting flying west at 9.30am from Coastguards, Cley which Eddie picked up and I said I would text to RBA - I genuinely forgot/suppressed;):-O;)

Full update of today's events! on blog

Penny:girl:

I am surprised . . . if a message left on a news service info line is not picked up or broadcast

Little surprises me, Dave. When you get to my age, you haven’t seen it all, but a damn sight more than a mere whippersnapper like you. This has happened to messages left by me on three of the news services.

I have also had some of my ‘reports’ questioned on more than one occasion- but will let my records speak for themselves.

During the day had a good number of Jays flying west along or just inland from the coast around Kelling/Salthouse, anyone else notice this? John

They have been in evidence in increased numbers along the coast and in vismig, John. Having said that, I did not notice any more in Wells Woods yesterday than on the weekend before.

John

Four flying over at Ashmenaugh yesterday afternoon although that could have been a family rather than migrants.

By the way, anyone know how is Ashmenaugh is pronounced?

I saw at least nine Jays - more than normal, in 3 hours south of Swaffham yesterday and then at Cockley Cley a group of 5 were obviously moving west though struggling into the wind.

The lads viz-migging yesterday morning (first two hours of light only) at Hunstanton had I think 25 Jays pass through, 500+ House Martins and a few Crossbills.

Not jays but many hundreds of martins, mostly house, west along the marshes at Warham, Titchwell throughout the day. The two Common Buzzards we saw were going E.S.E.
If anyone has an image of the pied flycatcher along the Fen trail, taken yesterday after 1400hrs, I would be very grateful if it could be posted or sent to me. Many thanks. P

As promised the Cley Bird Club website is now live! www.cleybirdclub.org.uk

We have a lot more ideas planned for this new website but hope that what you can see now is of interest and use to you. So please look at it, try all the links and submit your sightings and photos.

As promised the Cley Bird Club website is now live! www.cleybirdclub.org.uk

We have a lot more ideas planned for this new website but hope that what you can see now is of interest and use to you. So please look at it, try all the links and submit your sightings and photos.

Pat. Good luck with the website. Looks like a welcome resource.:t:

As for bird news services getting info, my experiences of RBA are the completely at odds with Mr Acro kings account. Indeed, RBA make extra enquires and efforts to find out and release bird news in Norfolk- at least in my experience.;)

Pat. Good luck with the website. Looks like a welcome resource.:t:

As for bird news services getting info, my experiences of RBA are the completely at odds with Mr Acro kings account. Indeed, RBA make extra enquires and efforts to find out and release bird news in Norfolk- at least in my experience.;)

Do not think John mentioned which news service was involved in any of his records.

John

There is a pair of Egyptian Geese with four recently fledged goslings at Pull's Ferry in Norwich this afternoon. Not unprecedented (Birds of Norfolk mentions a brood in November and several mid-winter breeding attempts), but the latest brood I've seen by quite a way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back