• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Apartment Bird Feeder - Black Oil Sunflower Seeds and Suet Cakes (1 Viewer)

zacharyfruhling

I recently put up a new bird feeder—a combination hopper feeder for black oil sunflower seeds and two suet cake cages—outside our apartment window. After a few days, we still haven't seen any birds at the feeder. The feeder is about a foot and a half from the window, and there aren't any trees or bushes in the immediate vicinity. Is there anything I should do to attract birds to the feeder, or should I just hang tight and be patient (If you hang it, they will come....)?

Thanks!

Zachary Fruhling

Hang tight and be patient. It could take awhile. They will eventually figure it out. We are also going thru a transition from summer to fall to winter. Right now I barely have any birds at all because the wild fruits, berries, nuts, seeds, are plentiful out in the wild, so the birds prefer that over my feeders. Once we get colder down here in the south where I'm located, I'll have more birds. Your area could be going thru the same situation. Just give it time and they will show up.

Update: It’s been another week and still no birds at the feeder. I’m hoping that they will come once we start getting more snow here in Idaho Falls, assuming my feathered soon-to-be friends can spot the feeder okay between our apartment building and the neighboring apartment building. I suppose I’ll have to dump the seeds and suet, clean the feeder, and replace the food in another week or so, even if no birds have started arriving by then.

... and there aren't any trees or bushes in the immediate vicinity. ...

Welcome to Birdforum!

That might be the problem.

Birds like to have cover near feeders so they can escape if they see anything which worries them.

It also seems to be quite close to the window. Movement will put them off coming to investigate.

You don't say how high up your apartment is.

Welcome to Birdforum!

That might be the problem.

Birds like to have cover near feeders so they can escape if they see anything which worries them.

It also seems to be quite close to the window. Movement will put them off coming to investigate.

You don't say how high up your apartment is.

I can't do anything about the lack of trees or bushes near the apartment, but yes, that might be one of the major factors. The apartment is a ground-level apartment, and the feeder is being supported by a pole several feet off the ground. It's less than ideal, naturally, but hopefully birds will stumble on it eventually.

Still no birds at the feeder, two weeks in. Any suggestions about how II might improve my feeder setup? (Types of feeders, distance from apartment window, etc.)?

Be patient and I'll bet you a buck that the first one that finds the feeder will be a Chickadee ;)

Hi Zach and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

I have feeders stuck to my window as I'm on the first floor (2nd to you I think LOL), so proximity to the window isn't really an issue. It two nearly three months for the birds to find it though! And yes, KC is right it was a Blue Tit, which are basically chickadees!

I have loads now and lots of different species.

Welcome to Birdforum Zachary - I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.

You can make your own garden bird cake as bird seed cakes will attract birds with their unique shapes, sizes, and tastes. The process is very simple. All you need to do is prepare the suet, a mixture of bird seeds, worm powder, and raisins. Then mix them well in a towel bucket, melt the suet, and mix the other ingredients. Finally, place the cookies in a mold and hang the cookies over the yoghurt jar by wire on a bird feeder or any branch the bird might eat.

You can make your own garden bird cake as bird seed cakes will attract birds with their unique shapes, sizes, and tastes. The process is very simple. All you need to do is prepare the suet, a mixture of bird seeds, worm powder, and raisins. Then mix them well in a towel bucket, melt the suet, and mix the other ingredients. Finally, place the cookies in a mold and hang the cookies over the yoghurt jar by wire on a bird feeder or any branch the bird might eat.
Most bird seed cake recipes use gelatin as one of the main ingredients. The problem with gelatin, however, is that it tends to dissolve quickly during the summer. So you can learn how to make birdseed cake without gelatin during the summer.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back