• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fujifilm HS50 EXR has arrived ! (1 Viewer)

It definitely feels right in the hand, the zoom has a nice resistance to it, which does give you confidence.
Can't wait for some decent light so I can get the shutter speed up.

The treecreeper was pure fluke, I saw the bird and thought what the hell try for a picture. Took 5 of which this was the best one, as I said I wouldn't have even bothered with the HS20.

First one aperture priority, f5.6 @1/40 iso 400 (auto)
Two aperture priority, f5.6 @1/90 iso 800 (auto)
Three aperture priority, f6.4 @1/2000 iso 200
Four aperture priority, f5.6@1/80 iso 400 (auto)
Five aperture priority, f6.4@ 1/45 iso 200

With the treecreeper it was a shot to nothing, I knew I needed to be quick and the iso was still set at 200 but no time to adjust it to get a faster shutter speed, primarily as I haven't really got my head around the command dial yet.

Thanks for the photo's can i ask were these shot in full auto mode? Also what was the iso used?

Cheers Paul

thanks Paul
I always shoot my birds in A mode . I never use Auto anymore .
you can find the exif of these and other images on my flickr account.
Fuji HS50 A mode FL 899mm 1/90 f/5.6 ISO 400

I have started a Fuji HS50 owners group you are welcome to join if you decide to get an HS50.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57957957@N08/8575073256/

Thanks for the details, yes I very much like the look of the camera, just need to make sure its right for me as it is one of the more expensive bridge cameras on the market. Interested in what its like at high iso, as I thought the SX40 was very good at 800.

If the picture quality is on par with the Canons I will go for this, just need to see a few reviews. I see snapsort rated the SX50 better.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-SX50-HS-vs-Fujifilm-FinePix-HS50EXR

That snapsort thing seems odd, SX50 7 reasons to buy - only 3 being optical, HS50 12 reasons to buy - 6 being optical. So how is the SX50 better??

It's more than odd - it's nonsense! One of the criteria (click on the 'Explain scores' link on right some way down) is Popularity!! The SX50 has a massive score and the HS50 has a tiny score, obviously because the former has been out for months. On the DOX image quality test, the HS50 scores nothing, because it hasn't been tested. The so-called comparison has no information of interest.

As Brian has commented the Snapshot scores are often a nonsense, with a massive weighting against the meaningless category of popularity. Similarly if they don't know- or can't be bothered to find out - a particular score, they will simply enter zero

Useful as handy feature comparison, but nothing more than that in my view.

John

out yesterday with S5pro & Tokina 100 -400 because there actually were a few hours of....Hazy sunshine!! This combo still hunted for BIF, maybe a bit unfair as the S5pro is not a sports or action camera, the other interested party when I was after this camera wanted it for airshows, somehow ended up buying a Nikon D200.

My experience of the HS50 was positive AF even through a shop window into the drizzle.

Looking at the Snapsport comparison, most of the "advanteges" of the Canon are not on my list as regards dimensions, weight and cost (well maybe if thousands of pounds involved), but the ability to catch candid moments definitely are. several buzzards perching within range, then flying away before the camera has focused, a kestrel likewise, the green woodpecker which nearly flew into me... all ones that got away because of the time to switch on & focus. the HS 50 is veryfast

thats it really isn't it kenneth .:t:

Its not about the numbers in camera comparisons its all about how we individually intend to use our cameras .
That should be our over riding guide to choosing a suitable camera.

Like you I need a camera with good IQ naturally but I want to be able to capture birds so I also need fast start up fast autofocus and fast read write times .
The Fuji HS550 has all this in bucket loads.

I don't understand all the interest I'm getting on youtube with the cameras video function.?? If I primarily need a camera for video that has a smooth zoom and fast video focus , I'd buy a dedicated video camera. you just can't beat them for video.

Awful weather today in the SW ,just grey grey grey with lots of rain. yuk:-C

I need from my new camera to have a fast focus, decent IQ, a high speed continuous shooting rate, long reach, raw and be able to handle HIGH ISO as in Britain da weather is crap. :-C

If the HS50 fits all these I am sure I will buy it. :t:

I need from my new camera to have a fast focus, decent IQ, a high speed continuous shooting rate, long reach, raw and be able to handle HIGH ISO as in Britain da weather is crap. :-C

If the HS50 fits all these I am sure I will buy it. :t:

it definitely fits all that and then some. take a look at my youtube video on autofocus and shutter release speeds .
I take 9x shots in under 3x seconds at maximum zoom and the still images are at the end of the video .:t:
http://youtu.be/hgSB_hv93vE

Defintely. I have at last recieved some good news, may well be able to purchase Monday fortnight

from Fuji website

2. New EXR CMOS II sensor with Phase Detection for high performance

The HS50EXR boasts the latest FUJIFILM EXR sensor technology: a 16 megapixel ½-inch EXR CMOS II sensor, coupled with the EXR Processor II, which achieves twice the processing speed of the previous EXR processor.

The biggest difference over the previous HS30EXR is the inclusion of Phase Detection pixels on the sensor to achieve an incredibly fast autofocus speed of just 0.05 seconds in fastest conditions, less than a third of the 0.16 seconds AF speed of the HS30EXR.
The Intelligent Hybrid AF system can choose between Phase Detection AF or switch to Contrast AF in low light to ensure the optimal focus system is used – dependent on the shooting conditions.

A Focus Peak Highlight feature helps photographers manually focus by highlighting the area of your composition in focus. It provides a guide for focusing in situations where it’s difficult to tell whether the subject is correctly focused; allowing users to manually focus whilst viewing on the LCD monitor.

The new EXR CMOS II sensor and EXR Processor II make the HS50EXR a truly powerful camera when it comes to capturing moving objects. In addition to the 0.05 seconds AF speed*1, it also achieves a start-up time of 0.5 seconds. *3, interval time between shots of just 0.5 seconds. And if you engage the Continuous Shooting mode it can shoot in burst of 11fps at the full 16 megapixel resolution (max 5 frames) and seamless 6fps shooting at 8 megapixel resolution. Combined, these technologies mean that you will never miss that crucial shot, no matter how fast your subject is moving.

If you select EXR Auto, the HS50EXR uses FUJIFILM’s widely acclaimed auto mode to select from the three in-built sensor modes (HR, SN or DR) and determine the scene-type you are shooting, from the 108 permutations recognised, ensuring that the optimum settings are employed.

well with this weather at least you won't need to water the moss :-O

I've not managed to get a single bird to land on the moss since ....:-C

I was wondering if any of you owners would do me a favour and shoot a few photos off, preferably of birds with the iso cranked up to 800 and 1600 and post your photos on here.

I am 99% certain I will order the camera next week, just need to see how it performed at high iso.

Much appreciated. Paul

of course we can Paul as soon as it stops raining and there is better light. I don't think images taken in these conditions will be much use.All the windows have rain on them atm and I'm not keen to take my new camera out in the rain.:eek!:

Are you planning on taking pictures in extremely low light and high ISO ? the reason I ask is that I used to limit my HS10 to ISO 800 and if I couldn't get enough shutter speed at that setting I didn't bother taking any pictures .

Pictures taken of birds at very high ISO maybe ok as record shots but make pretty poor keepers in my humble opinion.;)

As soon as the rain stops I'll take a series 100,200,400,800,1600 3200 6400 12800 ok

Yes 800 is normally my max as well - have taken lots at higher ISO for record shots. Just that I seem to be at 800 most of time during the winter :(

Just a quick tip to any potential UK purchasers who may be using Argos, (the camera is currently at £420.00 on their website) the featured Fujifilm camera bag will not take the HS50 so do not go for the offer that includes it. I already have this camera bag and I've tried getting the camera in it. I've finished up buying a DSLR bag to house the beast!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back