• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nest box for UK wrens. (1 Viewer)

gc220

Hi All,

I have occasionally seen a wren in my back garden around a back fence covered in ivy.

I would like to make a nestbox in the hope of the wren nesting in it or at least maybe getting the benefit of roosting in it in these cold times.

I am just wondering what to do with the front of the box, whether to make it open fronted like a robin box or with a hole and if so what diameter?

As I have seen some conflicting information on the internet, I would appreciate any advice from anyone with experience of wrens in nestboxes…

Thank you!

If you are going to target wrens with a nestbox then it's usually an open fronted type but as research suggests the chances are pretty low as the male bird will construct more than one to attract a mate. I've never seen one use a box but in open dark sheds and low down in a wood pile. Site the box somewhere quiet, dry and shady. The RSPB retail one just to give you an idea.
Either way it's good to provide an opportunity.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw0Vj3mMFPXpA7bpm6wpPm_Q

Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Pyrtle.

Yeah, I am a bit torn because the nest boxes I have seen for wrens are usually open fronted robin boxes.
I have also seen plans suggesting an open box but with a taller front (smaller opening) than if you are making it for a robin.

Although I have seen videos (the late great Johnny Kingdom for instance), where lots of wrens roost in a traditional nest box with hole opening.

Decisions, decisions.....

I actually had a pair of wrens nesting in my box with a standard hole designed for tits last summer. It was also positioned high up on a wall (need a ladder to get to it) in amongst the foliage of a thick climbing trumpet vine plant so there is never a one size fits all answer where birds choose their nesting site. As Pyrtle states male wrens usually build several nests and then the female will pick the one which most to her liking so in my case there must have been something that made her decide to pick my box. I should also add that I had only just moved it to its current position from the wall on the other side of the garden where it had been unused for about three years. The major difference was that it is now on a south facing wall as opposed to the north facing one before. I have no proof of this but am sure it made the difference.

I have not used houses yet, but bought two; one says it's for wrens and to place it where there is 60% sun during the day. I have some young spruces up against the house and wondered if hanging the house, which has a hole in the front, could go there. Would the tree allow squirrels or others like cats or raccoons to get to the house? The branches are twig-like, but the main trunk consists of a base and then three vertical thinner ones branched off of that.
Where is the best place to hang it?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back