• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 10x42 SF gray model (1 Viewer)

Robert Moore

Hi,

I recently got a Zeiss 10x42 SF gray model that was bought new in April of 2018. I called Zeiss after I registered it to find out how old it was. I do not see any green cast to the image that others have reported on here and the sample I have has a smooth focus and superb focus snap and sharpness. I have been using it for a couple of weeks now and just think they are great. I went to Cabelas today to compare it with the Swarovski 10x42 field pro and was shocked at how awkward the Swarovision felt after using the Zeiss for a couple of weeks. The view through the Zeiss to my eyes also was more transparent. It also looked brighter and the colors also looked more saturated to me. The sharpness in the Zeiss was also better and that might be why it looks so transparent. I originally wanted the Zeiss 8x42ht because that’s what I loved about that bin but the SF I have also has that beautiful transparent view with the bonus of a wider and better corrected field of view. I am just ecstatic about this binocular and just wanted to share. Anyone that has one has to know what I am talking about.

A friend of me has the same (gray) model, and I must say, it is an excellent glass.
Another friend of me has the Swarovski EL 10x42, also a very fine glass (only the color seems to cool in my opinion).

I would prefer the Zeiss, if I had to choose.

Robert:

I agree with all of the above. I have a similar gray Victory 10x42 SF, I have also found Zeiss made
a better binocular than the Swarovision, I own both.

Congratulations.

Jerry

Yes. The slimmer barrels, focus position, and balance to me is just exceptional and has no equal right now in my opinion. I can hold it almost completely still with no arm fatigue and have noticed that I can hold it almost as still as my 7x42 BN.

Out with the Sf today and was thinking about some comments on the blues not being as vivid as in the ht. Well in the pair I have the color blue is extremely vivid and saturated. I was looking at a sign in the park I was at and I don’t think anyone would be disappointed. 😉

Reading my post I sound like a salesman for Zeiss. Sorry I don’t mean to sound that way. I am just really excited about this binocular if you can’t tell.

Reading my post I sound like a salesman for Zeiss. Sorry I don’t mean to sound that way. I am just really excited about this binocular if you can’t tell.

Robert don't beat yourself up. If there is one thing we all have in common here it is that we all get excited by binos and it is always great news when a member finds the right binos for themselves no matter what brand or model.

Lee

Robert, I think your excitement is infectious... over the years I have often toyed with getting one pair of 10 power binoculars but always been put off by the 'camera shake' equivalent. Is that something you also have found, that is till you started using the 10x42 SF? Are the barrels any longer than in the 8x42 but the balance still as favourable i.e. weighted at the face end as in the 8x42 SF?

Thank you,

Tom

Robert, I think your excitement is infectious... over the years I have often toyed with getting one pair of 10 power binoculars but always been put off by the 'camera shake' equivalent. Is that something you also have found, that is till you started using the 10x42 SF? Are the barrels any longer than in the 8x42 but the balance still as favourable i.e. weighted at the face end as in the 8x42 SF?

Thank you,

Tom

Hi,

I have not tried the 8x42 so I can’t tell you if they are the same. I have had a lot of alpha 10x glasses and the sf for me is hands down the best. You would have to try one

I used it for a week in cloudy gray conditions and thought it was awesome but the first sunny day with low humidity and clean air and I was stunned at how transparent the view was. I wish I still had the 8x42 ht so I could compare them but either way it’s just great.

I used it for a week in cloudy gray conditions and thought it was awesome but the first sunny day with low humidity and clean air and I was stunned at how transparent the view was. I wish I still had the 8x42 ht so I could compare them but either way it’s just great.

Robert, I'd better not even spend half an hour at a store or a fool -- discerning buyer? -- and his money will easily be parted!

Does sound like this is a great piece of equipment and easy to handle with it.

Tom

The 8x42 ht you have is my favorite 8x and was what I originally wanted when someone offered me the 10x42 sf for my 8x56 slc. I thought I would try it. I still would love to get an 8x42 ht at some point. Also have not looked through the 8x42 Sf but I bet it is nice.

The 8x42 ht you have is my favorite 8x and was what I originally wanted when someone offered me the 10x42 sf for my 8x56 slc. I thought I would try it. I still would love to get an 8x42 ht at some point. Also have not looked through the 8x42 Sf but I bet it is nice.

Hi Robert, spurred by your first post on this thread I asked my local dealer and he has very generously lent me a 10x42 SF (quite recent black model, not gray/grey) for a week at no charge after letting me look through both the standard one for sale and their demo version (it is actually marked 'demo' by Zeiss). A quick try out showed both as being exceptionally sharp and steady to hold into the bargain. So over the weekend I can try against the 8x42 HT - not a direct comparison of course as the magnification, transmission, and field of view are different but still interesting.

I have no reservations at present about either and suspect I would be extremely happy with the 10x42 SF as well as the 8x42 HT already in my possession. The ease of view and handling are major plus points for both instruments. I'll let you know how the two compare; I think it will be all superlatives. They also let me try a Swarovski 10x42 SV EL and to my surprise that wasn't hard to hold steady at 10x power either despite being a bit heavier and less weighted towards the face end.

Till now it never occurred to me that there would be a 10x that I could hold as steady as a 7x!

All the best,

Tom

Last edited:
Hi Robert, spurred by your first post on this thread I asked my local dealer and he has very generously lent me a 10x42 SF (quite recent black model, not gray/grey) for a week at no charge after letting me look through both the standard one for sale and their demo version (it is actually marked 'demo' by Zeiss). A quick try out showed both as being exceptionally sharp and steady to hold into the bargain. So over the weekend I can try against the 8x42 HT - not a direct comparison of course as the magnification, transmission, and field of view are different but still interesting.

I have no reservations at present about either and suspect I would be extremely happy with the 10x42 SF as well as the 8x42 HT already in my possession. The ease of view and handling are major plus points for both instruments. I'll let you know how the two compare; I think it will be all superlatives. They also let me try a Swarovski 10x42 SV EL and to my surprise that wasn't hard to hold steady at 10x power either despite being a bit heavier and less weighted towards the face end.

Till now it never occurred to me that there would be a 10x that I could hold as steady as a 7x!

All the best,

Tom

Thanks Tom,

I would love to know what you think about the transparency between the sf and ht. The 8x42 ht may seem more transparent just due to the lower magnification. You would probably have to compare it to the 10xht for a more accurate assessment. It will still be fun, and let me know your thoughts on the Sf.

Thanks,
Rob

Tom

Sounds like your dealer is a gem. For me personally the true test of 10x steadiness is when either I have been observing for a good length of time (so arm fatigue is beginning) or I have needed to exert myself to reach my observation point (so heart is thumping) or there is a stiff and gusty wind blowing (adding its own 'tremor' to my own). I find that even 8x can become somewhat unsteady in these circumstances and a 10x does this significantly sooner, except with SF which is the steadiest I have tried. Meopta's B1 MeoStar HD 10x42 I tried a few years back wasn't bad and I think this was because it was relatively compact and quite heavy. This seemed to avoid the worst of the wind and heart generated vibes but eventually the weight created the arm fatigue and I needed to rest my arms for a while.

Lee

I have the black version of this binocular, and it is fantastic. I can understand your excitement about this binocular and share it.

Thanks Tom,

I would love to know what you think about the transparency between the sf and ht. The 8x42 ht may seem more transparent just due to the lower magnification. You would probably have to compare it to the 10xht for a more accurate assessment. It will still be fun, and let me know your thoughts on the Sf.

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob, sorry I have missed a few posts and am only just now catching up. I didn't get to do a proper comparison as it was a busy point in the school term so all I can offer is the very general comment that while the 8x42 HT gives noticeably the brightest looking view that I have yet seen in the 8x42 class I am really hard pushed till the sun goes down to see any difference in the 8x42 SF. I was instantly impressed by the 10x42 SF. As you say, very very clear and sharp. No doubt optics and balance go hand in hand together with the double bridge design. I haven't really answered your question. I do wish the SFs weren't quite so big even though they aren't affected by that handing-wise. Maybe sometimes bigger makes the hold steadier when the balance has been so carefully thought out.

All the best,

Tom

By the way, I find the HTs nicely balanced too, even though the weighting is closer to the front. As Lee points out you can hold them closer to the front and still operate the focus without contortionism!

Tom

Sounds like your dealer is a gem. For me personally the true test of 10x steadiness is when either I have been observing for a good length of time (so arm fatigue is beginning) or I have needed to exert myself to reach my observation point (so heart is thumping) or there is a stiff and gusty wind blowing (adding its own 'tremor' to my own). I find that even 8x can become somewhat unsteady in these circumstances and a 10x does this significantly sooner, except with SF which is the steadiest I have tried. Meopta's B1 MeoStar HD 10x42 I tried a few years back wasn't bad and I think this was because it was relatively compact and quite heavy. This seemed to avoid the worst of the wind and heart generated vibes but eventually the weight created the arm fatigue and I needed to rest my arms for a while.

Lee

Lee, I was just reading earlier today someone else's post before I saw yours, the comment being that a quick try out in a shop isn't the same as being outside under exertion, pointing the glass up to the high branches in a tree, and so on.

As you know I am pretty inexperienced but the open hinge design in SV and now SF does seem to help a lot with handling, with the added benefit of rearward point of balance in the Zeiss. Interesting that weight can often help with steadying the instrument; I've found the same with some cameras - an added motordrive could make a positive difference. (Think Nikon F3 and MD-4.)

There is a second hand 10x42 SF at my local dealer's as I mentioned. They want £1400 for it which is probably fair given the excellent condition but I can't justify that and don't need it really though the trial they let me have showed how fine this pair of binos was.

All the best,

Tom

Hi Rob, sorry I have missed a few posts and am only just now catching up. I didn't get to do a proper comparison as it was a busy point in the school term so all I can offer is the very general comment that while the 8x42 HT gives noticeably the brightest looking view that I have yet seen in the 8x42 class I am really hard pushed till the sun goes down to see any difference in the 8x42 SF. I was instantly impressed by the 10x42 SF. As you say, very very clear and sharp. No doubt optics and balance go hand in hand together with the double bridge design. I haven't really answered your question. I do wish the SFs weren't quite so big even though they aren't affected by that handing-wise. Maybe sometimes bigger makes the hold steadier when the balance has been so carefully thought out.

All the best,

Tom

By the way, I find the HTs nicely balanced too, even though the weighting is closer to the front. As Lee points out you can hold them closer to the front and still operate the focus without contortionism!

Thanks,

I am really enjoying the 10x42 sf. Maybe someday I can look through the 8x42sf. I already know I love the 8x42 ht so maybe I will buy it in the future. It would have to be used of course. I have the 7x42 BN to hold me over till I can find the 8x42 ht. 😉

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back