• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malawi - various birds (1 Viewer)

Thanks again, your knowledge is great. Here's the back end of the Cisticola

Attachments

• 74CB2033-5264-4E6F-9431-39BA3DF6F2A3.jpg
    74CB2033-5264-4E6F-9431-39BA3DF6F2A3.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for all of your help. It's taking the frustration out of not knowing what the birds are. One bird which has frustrated me identifying is a bird that songs very early in the morning from a tree top. It's a song that has few repeated phrases and is very distinct and comical. The bird itself has a black head eyes and beak similar to that of a bulbul (I've not seen more than its head). After listening to songs of all birds with black heads from my bird book on xeno-canto I still can't find the song matching roughly what I heard. Any ideas? The locals say it alerts farmers if they sleep too long. The song is so unusual it has woken me up almost every morning but the bird is quick to move on and not to be heard until the following morning.

The locals call it Kanantengo (Chichewa Malawi) and a local has pointed it out in my book as possibly a Drongo.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your help. It's taking the frustration out of not knowing what the birds are. One bird which has frustrated me identifying is a bird that songs very early in the morning from a tree top. It's a song that has few repeated phrases and is very distinct and comical. The bird itself has a black head eyes and beak similar to that of a bulbul (I've not seen more than its head). After listening to songs of all birds with black heads from my bird book on xeno-canto I still can't find the song matching roughly what I heard. Any ideas? The locals say it alerts farmers if they sleep too long. The song is so unusual it has woken me up almost every morning but the bird is quick to move on and not to be heard until the following morning.

The locals call it Kanantengo (Chichewa Malawi) and a local has pointed it out in my book as possibly a Drongo.

The bird that usually wake me up in Africa is the bulbul indeed. With dark head, why not Dark-capped Bulbul indeed ?

Yes the bulbul has been waking me up too. But I have managed to identify the bird that I've been curious about. It's the fork-tailed drongo. It's unusual squeeking song was what I had heard earlier in the month.

Could this be a Swamp Boubou?

Attachments

• 0E1DD78A-36D9-48DA-885C-A711CEE690D0.jpg
    0E1DD78A-36D9-48DA-885C-A711CEE690D0.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back