Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Best place this weekend for skuas

Old Thursday 8th November 2007, 06:19   #1
wolfbirder

Arrow Best place this weekend for skuas

I know this is a little hyperthetical, but is it possible to guess where woul dbe best this weekend for sea watching?

Such strong westerlies would suggest the west coast I suspect, would Liverpool bay and adjaceny coats be a good spot to witness any seabird movement following such strong onshore gales?
450 BOU (IOC), 624 WP List (IOC), 774 World List (IOC). EQUIPMENT: Kowa 883 & Manfrotto 055 CXR03 / Opticron GS52ED GA Travelscope & Velbon Sherpa 200 or Manfrotto 290 / RSPB HD 8 x 42 (for woodland) / Hawke Frontier 10 x 43. Fav birds: Pallid Harrier / Gyrfalcon / Great Grey Owl (:-
Old Thursday 8th November 2007, 08:51   #2
Songkhran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbirder View Post
I know this is a little hyperthetical, but is it possible to guess where woul dbe best this weekend for sea watching?

Such strong westerlies would suggest the west coast I suspect, would Liverpool bay and adjaceny coats be a good spot to witness any seabird movement following such strong onshore gales?

the seawatching off norfolk has been good all week with 100+ poms, grey phal, all three divers, ducks etc noted off sheringham on tuesday and more NW forecast which is the best for us.

The passage started on saturday with relatively light NW's and calm seas, with such strong gales there should be still alot of poms still churned up in the north sea

I'm going to try a pier i haven't tried before to see if i can get close views of Poms.
for more details on the Pom passage check the norfolk local patch site.
Old Thursday 8th November 2007, 19:40   #3
wolfbirder

Thanks for that pomskua - thats helped a lot. I presumed with the projected wind direction the west uk coast would benefit.
450 BOU (IOC), 624 WP List (IOC), 774 World List (IOC). EQUIPMENT: Kowa 883 & Manfrotto 055 CXR03 / Opticron GS52ED GA Travelscope & Velbon Sherpa 200 or Manfrotto 290 / RSPB HD 8 x 42 (for woodland) / Hawke Frontier 10 x 43. Fav birds: Pallid Harrier / Gyrfalcon / Great Grey Owl (:-
Old Thursday 8th November 2007, 21:45   #4
dan pointon
Can't Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbirder View Post
Thanks for that pomskua - thats helped a lot. I presumed with the projected wind direction the west uk coast would benefit.
I imagine Pom Skuas prediction could be the best. Although Poms are passing down the W Coast, for instance birds in Broadford Bay and the Minch, much larger numbers are passing down the East coast at the moment, so with such stron winds it wouldn't be surprising if there's a few more, and even maybe some inland. Other benefit of the E coast is there should be plenty of Little Auks, about time the Midlands had one of those....keep your eyes out for Brunnichs people!!!
Old Friday 9th November 2007, 18:42   #5
rokermartin
Forum Member

I would head for the east coast this weekend ,should be still Little Auks passing but they wont be huge numbers like they have been today i dont think.
Old Saturday 10th November 2007, 21:21   #6
On-Firecrest
Stuck in a Rutt

one or two poms now starting to filter through suffolk.
Old Sunday 11th November 2007, 13:32   #7
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

We had 13 Pom Skuas past Holme on the Saturday, so still reasonable numbers. As well as this we had 50+ Little Auks, 1 Artic Skua, 1 Great Skua, 9 skua sp, all three divers, Red-necked Grebe, Shag, 140+ Kittiwakes etc.

Connor
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: