• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best 50-65mm angles spotting scope out there? (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
Hello everybody,
just need a rough indication: which 50-65mm scope would you recommend today?
I have the tiny Nikon ED50A with a 13-40x EP - and I really love it ... what would represent a valuable upgrade in terms of clarity, magnification and compactness?
Thank you very much

*in the title: angled

Last edited:
Hi,

a good example of the Nikon ED 50 will be hard to beat at the same size.

So the question is, what are your intentions - do you want:

- replace the ED 50 with a better scope of the same size: difficult

- get a larger scope with along the Nikon - a used larger Fieldscope and a wide fixed mag EP would make for a very nice companion

- get a larger scope to replace the ED50: you need a good quality scope in order to not miss the ED 50...

Joachim

Swarovski ATS 65 + 25-50x EP is a better scope, but it's also heavier and more expensive. But it's a better scope.

Opticron HR66ED GA ED is also a superb scope for a substantial amount less. If I had to choose, I'd say the ATS 65 just edges it out. Just.

Try and look through a few of the larger (65mm?) scopes before you buy - preferably on a dull day.

I was fairly intent of getting the Opticron HR66ED GA ED having had Opticron kit before which I felt was very good value. However, when I tried the Opticron (on a dull day) the image just didn't "suit" me. I tried a few other high end scopes that day but I ended up spending considerably more on the Swaro ATS 65 + 25-50 and have had no reason to regret it.

I second Chris's suggestion. I wouldn't put down money on a scope till I had looked thru the Kowa. Pretty amazing view for that size and price scope.
Steve

Opticron MM3 (non waterproof) and the upgraded MM4 lines are getting very good reviews..they make a 50mm and a 65..I have only seen the MM3 50 and didnt see any reason to upgrade a Nikon ED50 to one of these ,not even considering that you can use a slightly wider zoom ..but the 65mm seems to be a winner ,acording to most reviews and would be a good scope to complement the ED50 for extra reach and better detail,given the larger aperture..It looks quite compact as well...make sure to buy the MM4 for added field durability.

Beware of the "nothing compares to this or that"notion,because most of these models are pretty much the same in terms of ultimate performance,with a slight variation in unit to unit quality and some personal preference added in the final outcome of any comparison.
To be trendy and "A la last" the most speculative recommendation would be to check the Last and greater small scope by Kowa,featuring the 553 at a price point that dwarfs any Alpha brand 65 scope previously released

Last edited:
Opticron MM3 (non waterproof) and the upgraded MM4 lines are getting very good reviews..they make a 50mm and a 65..I have only seen the MM3 50 and didnt see any reason to upgrade a Nikon ED50 to one of these ,not even considering that you can use a slightly wider zoom ..but the 65mm seems to be a winner ,acording to most reviews and would be a good scope to complement the ED50 for extra reach and better detail,given the larger aperture..It looks quite compact as well...make sure to buy the MM4 for added field durability.

Beware of the "nothing compares to this or that"notion,because most of these models are pretty much the same in terms of ultimate performance,with a slight variation in unit to unit quality and some personal preference added in the final outcome of any comparison.
To be trendy and "A la last" the most speculative recommendation would be to check the Last and greater small scope by Kowa,featuring the 553 at a price point that dwarfs any Alpha brand 65 scope previously released

Beware? Harsh, no?
These scopes are not the same in terms of ultimate performance, that is the point. The Kowa 600 (Prominar) series are fine optics, but they cannot offer the e-to-e clarity and brightness of a Leica 65 apo or a Swaro HD.
Compromises come at a cost, or a discount as it were...

And most alphas can be secured at a discount if one looks for a used or demo scope.
The BF "classified" or "retail" forums usually have something to offer in that regard.

Hi,

my experience with Leica spotters (limited to 3 examples so far) has been less impressive - none came close to my old Kowa and one APO 82 was really bad. I have seen good and bad Swaros (5-10). Kowas have been stunning so far. YMMV.

Joachim

Beware? Harsh, no?
These scopes are not the same in terms of ultimate performance, that is the point. The Kowa 600 (Prominar) series are fine optics, but they cannot offer the e-to-e clarity and brightness of a Leica 65 apo or a Swaro HD.
Compromises come at a cost, or a discount as it were...

And most alphas can be secured at a discount if one looks for a used or demo scope.
The BF "classified" or "retail" forums usually have something to offer in that regard.
No..I didn't mean to sound harsh or critical of other's opinons..apologize if I did
I do believe though, that top performers are too close to tell apart in most conditions and with the notion in mind that individual units correction is what counts in the end.
I do believe that a good unit of the ATX65 can compare with that incomparable Leica that was mentioned earlier in the thread,and so on

No..I didn't mean to sound harsh or critical of other's opinons..apologize if I did
I do believe though, that top performers are too close to tell apart in most conditions and with the notion in mind that individual units correction is what counts in the end.
I do believe that a good unit of the ATX65 can compare with that incomparable Leica that was mentioned earlier in the thread,and so on

Opinions are like, well, you know; and my assessment follows that cliche'. :)

When I state that the Leica is incomparable, it is only in terms of 'best-of-the-best" optically. Leica's edge-to-edge is outstanding. To me, the Swaro is better ergonomically, and in terms of service, repair and warranty, Swaro is light years ahead.
Both of those scopes are in the corner of the room here on Manfrotto tripods... the comparisons are enjoyable.
If you get the chance to read the link I provided, it is informative.

I have used Swarovski 65ed 20x60 for over ten yrs now. did quite a bit of digiscoping with it in the early years.would have preferred the 80mm but it was,nt available then.only scope iv,e seen to beat mine is the leica 90mm, but not by much.if you want something better than these...just get closer to the target!

I actually find the differences and characters of scopes much more obvious than i do of bins - or at least a lot less easy to get used to. I can seem to adapt to whatever binoculars i have with me in a few minutes, but scopes - nope, it's got to be the right one, and so would be worth taking your time and trying as many of your targets as possible.
And don't just look through it - put it on a tripod, carry it, see how it sits on the tripod head, see if you prefer course/fine or helical focuses and loads of other personal preference-designed tests. Just a change of eyepiece can alter your experience of a scope.
For instance, i tried the Kowa 883 for a week with the older, 20-60 zoom and it felt a lesser experience; i think similar with the ATS65 (which would be my choice within the OP's question) using the 25-50 WA zoom eyepiece against the older one.

Hello everybody,
just need a rough indication: which 50-65mm scope would you recommend today?
I have the tiny Nikon ED50A with a 13-40x EP - and I really love it ... what would represent a valuable upgrade in terms of clarity, magnification and compactness?
Thank you very much

*in the title: angled

If I look at the specific criteria you listed...clarity, magnification and compactness then the previously suggested Opticron MM4 60 mm would seem to be a perfect choice. I compared the original MM3 50 mm to the Nikon and thought it a smidge better optically. The MM4 has slightly better optics than the MM3 plus the 60 mm version would give you a higher magnification range (up to 45x) plus better overall clarity in low light conditions because of the larger objective lens (in comparison to the Nikon).

Lastly, for a 60 mm scope it is compact plus particularly lightweight...926 grams with the HDF zoom.

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/mm4_scope.html

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back