• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (5 Viewers)

A life bird!

Hello all,

Yesterday, the morning temperature was -11ºC, today it was -2ºC. By the time, I got to Central Park, it felt positively pleasant.
Sunday, I did see cedar waxwings. Monday and Tuesday, the wood ducks were back on the lake, as well a peculiar hybrid. Today, there were no wood ducks.
Mourning doves, northern cardinals, downy woodpeckers, the occasional red bellied woodpecker, grackles, brown creepers, nuthatches, fox sparrows, goldfinches, house finches, and those orioles are still to be seen. On Monday, a pine warbler, in very drab colours, turned up on the path.
Then I saw a brown headed cowbird, a bird which is hardly well favoured by most bird watchers. I spotted another one near Strawberry Fields, yesterday. On Tuesday, I spotted a life bird, an American tree sparrow.
Today's other good bird was a yellow bellied sapsucker
All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes. The yellow bellied sapsucker was taken from Woodpeckers by Fannie Eckstrom.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Attachments

• Waxwings, cedar.jpg
    Waxwings, cedar.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 44
  • cowbird.jpg
    cowbird.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 46
  • tree sparrow.jpg
    tree sparrow.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Yellow bellied sapsucker II.jpg
    Yellow bellied sapsucker II.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
A brief respite

This morning the temperature was about 6ºC, but as I write, as the sun reaches the meridian, the temperature is 15ºC.

I saw wood ducks, yesterday and Sunday, but not today, although there was a black duck Of course, the usual birds, mourning doves, cardinals, and blue jays are around. Today's sightings in Central Park included an American woodcock, which I also saw on Sunday,cedar waxwings, a black capped chickadee, downy and red bellied woodpeckers, white breasted nut hatches, brown creeper, a cooper hawk, a female Baltimore oriole and a song sparrow.

All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes from Birds of New York.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• woodcock, American.jpg
    woodcock, American.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 47
  • black capped chickadee.jpg
    black capped chickadee.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 41
  • cooper hawk.jpg
    cooper hawk.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Song sparrow.jpg
    Song sparrow.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Maybe one for the year's list

Hello all,

I have been seeing quite a few fox sparrows, of late. Some days, I see the wood ducks on the Lake, whose ice cover has diminished, and most days, I see the nuthatches. Those orioles keep on turning up, as do brown creepersbut I saw the Carolina wren but once, in the last few weeks. I also had a good run of spotting small flocks of cedar waxwings, a bird which charms me. Red bellied woodpeckers are heard as well as seen, but the downy woodpeckers are clearly more common. I am fairly certain that I saw rusty blackbirds, but many have confused them with bronze raced grackles.
On Wednesday, at 9:31 AM, I heard a loud bang. It was the sound of two buildings exploding in East Harlem, 3.3 km., away.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Attachments

• Fox sparrow.jpg
    Fox sparrow.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Brown creeper.jpg
    Brown creeper.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Waxwings, cedar.jpg
    Waxwings, cedar.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 43
  • rusty blackbirds.jpg
    rusty blackbirds.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 43
almost ice free

Hello,

Today, the Lake was almost clear of ice: just a thin skein of ice on the Norther Lobe, aka Bank Rock Pool. There were just too many Canada geese on the Lake, but there sere still plenty of shovel[l]ers, mallards and one black duck. Yesterday, there were twodouble crested cormorants
Today, I saw goldfinches, at the Northern Lobe, as well as at the feeders. Sunday, I saw a male Baltimore Oriole, hundreds of metres, from the feeders, but still in the Ramble. When I trained my glass on him, a yellow bellied sapsucker entered the field of view Yesterday, as well as today, I saw black capped chickadees. Sunday, I saw a reddish brown bird, about twenty metres, away. Fox sparrow came to mind but then I thought it was probably a female northern cardinal. The bird popped back into view, and it was a fox sparrow!.
After ten years of bird watching, I am actually internalising bird identification.
All images are by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe

Attachments

• American black duck.jpg
    American black duck.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Double crested cormorant.jpg
    Double crested cormorant.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 61
  • black capped chickadee.jpg
    black capped chickadee.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Fox sparrow.jpg
    Fox sparrow.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 48
Hawks on my mind

Hello all,

Nothing much to report. Grackles, American robins, white throated sparrows and mourning doves, abound and I still see my share of red bellied and downy woodpeckers, as well as fox sparrows. I have seen two pine warblers, house finches, brown creepers and goldfinches, which are getting more colorful, at the feeders, along along with the occasional Carolina wren and black capped chickadees. I did manage to see both male and female red winged blackbirds. I have seen neither a nuthatch nor those orioles for a couple of days, but I have been assured that the Orioles are around. The double crested cormorants also have been working the Lake.
On Sunday, I saw a red tailed hawk fly past the American Museum of Natural History and land on the Beresford, a block of flats, whose residents include Meryl Streep, who bought Rock Hudson's flat, John McEnroe and Jerry Seinfeld. Yesterday, I was a pair of red tailed hawks circling, another block of flats, the San Remo, former home of Rita Hayworth. One was carrying a branch, part of courtship. Both landed on the north tower, high up, where the west facade provided two cozy spots, sheltered from the rain. They were in the same place, again, circling over Central Park West. Some years, ago, I saw the same activity at the Beresford, but the birds did not settle down at that spot. Pale Male's nest is across the Park on Fifth Avenue, a bit ritzier, but Central Park West is hardly naff.
Today, I met another reader of BirdForum from the UK, but he only reads as a guest.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• red winged blackbirds.jpg
    red winged blackbirds.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Red-tailed on a branch.jpg
    Red-tailed on a branch.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 50
  • San Remo, April.jpg
    San Remo, April.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 49
  • carolina wren.jpg
    carolina wren.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 50
cold, again

Hello all,

I awoke to -7ºC, temperature, this morning, cold enough for a post-equinoctical day. Yesterday and today, I did not observe any hawks, at the San Remo. Yesterday, I carried a 12x50, on a monopod, to examine that building's facade, but to no avail. I suspect that the red-tailed hawks have found a better spot.
Grackles, mourning doves, blue jays and white throated sparrows are still the most common birds. The Lake still had shovel[l]ers, but perhaps in fewer numbers than one would expect with all that open water. One sees and hears those red bellied woodpeckers, in the Park.
At the feeders, those Baltimore orioles and the pine warblers keep on appearing, as do the brown creepers, downy woodpeckers.the house finches and fox sparrows. I saw a song sparrow, and red winged blackbirds, as well. At least one of the goldfinches had distinctive bright yellow feathers.

My best bird of the day was a phoebe, which may have been in synch with the calendar but not with the weather. It was at the Azalea Pond, moving from branch to frozen water and back.

All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• baltimore oriole.jpg
    baltimore oriole.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 57
  • Song sparrow.jpg
    Song sparrow.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 50
  • goldfinch.jpg
    goldfinch.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 56
  • phoebe.jpg
    phoebe.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 49
Changeable March

Hello all,

Yesterday, the day started at -6ºC, but right now it is 12ºC, with warm wet weather over the weekend.

Background birds include grackles,mourning doves, blue jays, juncoes, etc. Today, there were no shovel[l]ers on the Lake, but there were some on Turtle Pond. Today, on my way to the feeders I saw a red bellied woodpecker. While I saw a yellow bellied sapsucker, after visiting the feeders. At the feeders, I saw that Carolina wren, red winged blackbirds, that pine warbler, as well as a nuthatch, downy woodpeckers, house finches, and goldfinches, some of which are becoming rather yellow. So today, was a three woodpecker day. All told, in the Park, I have seen fox, swamp, song and white throated sparrows in the Park, today.
On my way home, today, I met Étudiant, at the eastern end of Turtle Pond, where he pointed out a belted kingfisher, flying by. Only me second sighting of one. I have to point out that the belted kingfisher is huge compared to the European kingfishers, and not as colourful
.After a few days of absence, I spotted those red-tailed hawks, yesterday and today, circling and perching on the San Remo block of flats. If they choose to nest, there, they will be quite high over the Park and over the street.

All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes from Birds of New York v. 2, 1914.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• Fox sparrow.jpg
    Fox sparrow.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Swamp sparrow.jpg
    Swamp sparrow.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Song sparrow.jpg
    Song sparrow.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 54
  • kingfishers.jpg
    kingfishers.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 54
Waders

Hello all,

Today, no hawk activity, at the San Remo, but I saw one flying from the Beresford, on West 81st Street. I guess they are checking out the best real estate available.

Today, I spotted a couple of double crested cormorants on the Lake. Human fisherman are supposed to catch and release fish caught, on the Lake, although I have seen one fisherman put a perch in his bag. The cormorants get to eat what they catch, which infuriate the fisherman because the cormorants can Hoover up the fish, insatiably. I had a good look at one, on a rock, which clearly showed the crests over the eyes.

Then I looked at the Point, opposite Bethesda Fountain where I saw three black crowned night herons in the trees. On a log nearby was a wader with what looked like a yellow crown, but with an impressive beard and a grayish body, so it must have been a great blue heron. A trip to the feeders brought me another sight of that Carolina wren, as well as the Baltimore Orioles, and a black capped chickadee. Étudiant pointed out another phoebe, nearby.
A walk to Turtle Pond allowed me to see a male bufflehead diving. As I rarely get to the Reservoir or to the Pool, and with both Lake and Turtle Pond frozen for weeks, this has been my first bufflehead, for a long time.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• night heron.jpg
    night heron.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 54
  • great blue heron.jpg
    great blue heron.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Carolina Wren II.jpg
    Carolina Wren II.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 63
  • buffleheads.jpg
    buffleheads.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 69
Waterfowl and more

Hello all,

Monday, I decided to add a little to my perambulation. However, on my usual beat, I saws flock of song sparrows and my first northern flicker of the season. I also got a glimpse of an American woodcock, south of the Azalea Pond. I have a slightly wary relationship with the species, as a flicker once flew into my closed window, at my flat. Nevertheless, flickers are a welcome sight.

On Turtle Pond, I was met by a a pair of buffleheads and a pair of hooded mergansers. I then walked to the reservoir, where I saw ruddy ducks. Typically, they turn up at the Lake, occasionally. Then I headed for the Pool, farther north, than I usually go. There were more buffleheads but nothing more of note.

On Tuesday, I saw a pair of buffleheads on the Lake, hardly their usual territory. Buffleheads are diving ducks, and find the Pool and Turtle Pond, both deeper than the Lake, far more commodious.

Wednesday, I got another look at that great blue heron, but at the northern Lobe of the Lake.

Today, at the feeders, I saw the Baltimore Oriole, brown creepers, a female white breasted nuthatch, as well a very yellow goldfinch, down and red bellied woodpeckers, house finches and song sparrows. A glance at the nearby trees revealed a bunch of cedar waxwings. As I left the feeders a hermit thrush landed just two metres, away.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• flicker.jpg
    flicker.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 61
  • hooded mergansers.jpg
    hooded mergansers.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Ruddy duck.jpg
    Ruddy duck.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Hermit thrush.jpg
    Hermit thrush.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 55
Catching flies

Hello all,

Today, and much of the week, a pair of red tailed hawks have been circling the San Remo building and roosting on its south tower. They have a lovely, sheltered spot with overhead cover, facing the Park and rising sun. Others have told me that it is a definite nest. If I recall, correctly, Pale Male nests atop a twelve story building but these hawks must have a spot on the 24th floor. Like some of the human tenants, they must think they own the Park.

Tuesday, was a bumper day for phoebes. At least one pair was flitting over Turtle Pond. Everyday but Wednesday, the Pond was also hosting a pair of buffleheads, who seem to spend as much time under the water as on the surface. Tuesday, I also spotted a brown thrasher, near the Shakespeare Garden, where one had been wintering. Earlier this week, I saw a brown headed cowbirds, near the feeders, but the brown creepers seem to have disappeared, along with the Blatimore orioles.

Today, I spotted a northern flicker, which I have seen several times, this week, but my bird of the day must be the tree swallows, over Turtle Pond. The bird of the week may be chipping sparrows.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• red-tailed hawk, aloft.jpg
    red-tailed hawk, aloft.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 48
  • brown thrasher.jpg
    brown thrasher.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 57
  • tree swallow.jpg
    tree swallow.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 59
  • chipping sparrow.jpg
    chipping sparrow.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 62
a waterthrush

Hello all,

First off, last week, I missed recording that I saw both ruby crowned and golden crowned kinglets. On Friday, I spotted a great egret, at Turtle Pond, which had been reported, by others. I had heard reports of Louisiana waterthrushes. Three days, in a row, I staked out the stream under Triplets Bridge, a slow moving stream, and the only year round stream running in to the Lake. In season, waterthrushes will go up one bank and down the other, about 100 metres for each bank. The Upper Lobe, from Oak Bridge, is another goo spot, but there is more marshy land and waterthruses may spend a goo deal of time working the stream. I finally spotted one, but I think it may have been a northern waterthrush.
All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes from Birds of New York.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Ruby crowned kinglets.jpg
    Ruby crowned kinglets.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 49
  • golden crowned Kinglet.jpg
    golden crowned Kinglet.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 56
  • egret.jpg
    egret.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 51
  • northern waterthrush.jpg
    northern waterthrush.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 61
Hello all,

As usual, I am slower at enjoying, or perhaps exploiting, the spring migration than many others. Brown creepers, northern shovel[l]ers, buffleheads, black capped chickadees, and nuthatches seem to be things of the past.
Today, I went to the Point, across the Lake from Bathesda Fountain, where I had a little luck. First, some kinglets turned up, then yellow rumped warblers, then blue gray gnatcatchers, and pine warblers. One of those Baltimore orioles was at the feeder. Then nothing new, until just before I left the Park, I saw an eastern or rufous sided towhee from Triplets Bridge.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Myrtle Yellow.jpg
    Myrtle Yellow.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Pine warblers.jpg
    Pine warblers.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 45
  • gnatcatchers.jpg
    gnatcatchers.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 55
  • towhee, etc.jpg
    towhee, etc.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
More warblers

Hello all,

Things are picking up a bit. Yesterday, I saw a cerulean warbler and palm warblers. Today's best bird was a prairie warbler, but I also saw a male ruby crowned kinglet with the most brilliant red crown, in my memory. I also got a another glimpse of a hermit thrush and a really up close look at a blue gray gnatcatcher. Today, I also had some more sightings of chipping sparrows.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe

Attachments

• Cerulean warbler.jpg
    Cerulean warbler.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 52
  • palm warbler.jpg
    palm warbler.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Prairie warbler.jpg
    Prairie warbler.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 55
  • male ruby crowned kinglet.jpg
    male ruby crowned kinglet.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 47
Swing into spring

Hello,

After trailing many bird watchers, I cannot stop seeing black and white warblers. Every visit, since last Thursday, they have appeared, exhibiting behavior which I call "nuthatch imitation." They circle trunks, circle and hang from branches but they do not quite go down a trunk headfirst. The black and whites also persist far longer than other warblers. Yesterday's best bird was a nashville warbler but today's best warbler was a fleeting glance at a hooded warbler. Today's best bird may have been a spotted sandpiper. There were also plenty of yellow rumped warblers, palm warblers and I am still seeing chipping sparrows.

I have not seen juncoes, for a while and white throated sparrows are not quite as numerous as they were, two weeks, ago. Another bird watcher told me that there were titmice on Manhattan Island but ten km., to the north in Inwood Hill Park.

On Saturday, I looked out my window to see a thrush, whose tail was not cinnamon, whose head did not have a rufous cap, which was not ver colorful, at all, but whose breast was well spotted. I am left with the thought that I spotted a rather early Swainson's thrush. Birds fly where they may and they do not read field books or guides.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• black and white warbler.jpg
    black and white warbler.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Nashville warbler.jpg
    Nashville warbler.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 51
  • hooded warbler.jpg
    hooded warbler.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 55
  • spotted sandpiper.jpg
    spotted sandpiper.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Another day, another warbler

Hello KC,

Common experiences lead to common thoughts. On the other hand, I have experienced a female downy woodpecker transform itself into a black and white warbler before my eyes.

Today's new warbler was a yellow warbler. Yesterday I saw a chimney swift over the Lake. Today, I saw both barn swallows and northern rough winged swallows over the Lake. On the Lake were a single pair of northern shovellers and a pair of gadwalls.

After a couple of weeks, I saw black crowned night herons, again, but not in the shallows. Rather they were either aloft or on tree branches, making me think that the water must be rather cold.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Yellow warbler.jpg
    Yellow warbler.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Barn swallows.jpg
    Barn swallows.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 52
  • rough winged swallows.jpg
    rough winged swallows.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 63
  • gadwall.jpg
    gadwall.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 53
Arthur,

I also had that experience with a Downy Woodpecker becoming a Black and White Warbler. It was a pleasant surprise!

Bob

The migration continues

Hello all,

The migration certainly continues. Tuesday, it was raining. Actually it was a downpour of 12 cm, over 26 hours.
I got out Wednesday morning. Although it started to rain, I did bag a couple of worthy birds. I saw my first American redstart of the season. I think that it is a rather handsome bird. I also saw a veery and a common yellowthroat. The top of the day was spotting several rose breasted grosbeaks, which I had not seen, for years.

Today, I went to the meadow, north of Strawberry Fields but I slipped on some mud when descending towards the Drive. I ended up in some thorns with some minor lacerations on my hand but I was shook up for quite a while. Somehow I managed to survive an icy winter without mishap, but I should be more careful.

I will report the rest of the today's sightings, soon.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• American redstart.jpg
    American redstart.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Veery.jpg
    Veery.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Maryland yellowthroat.jpg
    Maryland yellowthroat.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 57
  • rose breasted grosbeak.jpg
    rose breasted grosbeak.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your mishap Arthur, it's all to easy to do the worst damage in the safest place, so take care. American Redstart and Rose-breasted Grosbeak males are stunning birds, they always look as though they should be in the tropics and must have brightened your day.

worth it

Hello Chris,

I thank you for your kind thoughts. Yes, seeing birds like the rose breasted grosbeak are very rewarding. It is even worth a little inconvenience, but not worth my good health. So I will take care.

For the last few day, I have been seeing gray catbirds, but I am still seeing white throated sparrows and even a northern shovel[l]ler on the North Lobe of the Lake. Both of them seem to be hanging on, a bit longer than expected. The problem with birds is twofold: they fly where they like and they do not read field books.

On Friday, caught a glimpse of a worm eating warbler and a good view of a ruby throated hummingbird. Today's highlights had to be a male Blackburnian warbler, a male indigo bunting, which I have not seen, for years, and an ovenbird.

All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes from Eaton's Birds of New York

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• ruby throated hummingbird.jpg
    ruby throated hummingbird.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 60
  • blackburnian warblers.jpg
    blackburnian warblers.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Indigo bunting.jpg
    Indigo bunting.jpg