• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some birds from Borneo and Labuan to ID (1 Viewer)

15. Swiftlet
2018_03_01 Borneo. Klias River cruise

Attachments

• IMG_3905.jpg
    IMG_3905.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3908.jpg
    IMG_3908.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3986.jpg
    IMG_3986.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3987.jpg
    IMG_3987.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3989.jpg
    IMG_3989.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 29
1. Could be Asian Palm Swift.
2. I also thought it might be Malaysian as the upperparts look scaly, but I'm not experienced with them.
3-6. Could be Germain's Swiftlet, as I have a feeling they're found offshore in Borneo.
8. Van Hasselt's.
9. Plain Sunbird could be a good call.
10. I don't think it's an Eagle at all. A Hawk Eagle would have seven fingers showing, and the tail shape is wrong. Maybe a Brahminy Kite? By the way, according to two checklists I looked at, Wallace's doesn't occur at Sepilok, only Blyth's.
12-13. I don't think there's any chance of identifying these. There are three species of echo-locating Swiftlet in the area, which are basically only possible to separate by the colour of their nest.
14. Yes, probably.
15. Maybe Glossy/Plume-toed? Maybe 11 too?

Last edited:
2. I also thought it might be Malaysian as the upperparts look scaly, but I'm not experienced with them.
3-6. Could be Germain's Swiftlet, as I have a feeling they're found offshore in Borneo.
8. Van Hasselt's.
10. I don't think it's an Eagle at all. A Hawk Eagle would have seven fingers showing, and the tail shape is wrong. Maybe a Brahminy Kite? By the way, according to two checklists I looked at, Wallace's doesn't occur at Sepilok, only Blyth's.
12-13. I don't think there's any chance of identifying these. There are three species of echo-locating Swiftlet in the area, which are basically only possible to separate by the colour of their nest.
14. Yes, probably.

Many thanks for your unswer!!! :t::t::t:
As for the Wallace's, there was a guide Mr. David from endemicguides.com who showed me juv hawk-eagle sitting on the branch above the canopy walkway. He told me that it was Wallace's. I'm attaching the pics of it in this post. Please tell me is the ID of it right or wrong. The bird #10 flyed 85 minutes before in the direction of the place where we found sitting Hawk-eagle. That's why I thought it could be the same bird :)

Attachments

• IMG_3072.jpg
    IMG_3072.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3073.jpg
    IMG_3073.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3077.jpg
    IMG_3077.jpg
    775.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3078.jpg
    IMG_3078.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3080.jpg
    IMG_3080.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
8. Van Hasselt's.
14. Yes, probably.

Two more pics of this sitting hawk-eagle

Attachments

• IMG_3082.jpg
    IMG_3082.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3085.jpg
    IMG_3085.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Last edited:
Yes, I must admit the perched bird does look rather like this one, for example:

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=894

Juvenile Blyth's is quite similar though, so I'd welcome a second (third?) opinion. This is juv Blyth's:

https://singaporeraptors.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/4daff-bhe_juv.jpg

I'm still not convinced about the flying bird being a WHE though. It could be Jerdon's Baza, although the tail doesn't look long enough.

In Birds of Borneo Helm Guide 2 edition published in 2016 is written that juv Wallace's is distinguished from juv Blyth's by broader white tip to crest. Also the map of distribution shows that Blyth's can not be seen around Sepilok and Wallace's can be. But birds can fly :)

Attachments

• IMG_3239.JPG
    IMG_3239.JPG
    515.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3241.JPG
    IMG_3241.JPG
    630.4 KB · Views: 33
Wallace's Hawk-eagle is at Sepilok; it appears in Bird Tour Asia reports, and a friend saw one there only last week.

The bird in question is not a Nisaetus spp because it only has 6 fingers. Neither is it a Jerdon's Baza IMO, the wing shape is wrong with no bulge in the secondaries, and the tail is too short.

Look at the second image and you can make out a whitish throat and upper breast with what appear to be a dark cap which would indicate adult Rufous-bellied Eagle. The tail looks odd because its closed. I could only find this image of a juvenile to compare shape https://www.flickr.com/photos/swagataghosh/11102846625 and just found an adult with tail closed https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rufous-bellied_Eagle.jpg

Grahame

Last edited:
Wallace's Hawk-eagle is at Sepilok; it appears in Bird Tour Asia reports, and a friend saw one there only last week.

The bird in question is not a Nisaetus spp because it only has 6 fingers. Neither is it a Jerdon's Baza IMO, the wing shape is wrong with no bulge in the secondaries, and the tail is too short.

Look at the second image and you can make out a whitish throat and upper breast with what appear to be a dark cap which would indicate adult Rufous-bellied Eagle. The tail looks odd because its closed. I could only find this image of a juvenile to compare shape https://www.flickr.com/photos/swagataghosh/11102846625 and just found an adult with tail closed https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rufous-bellied_Eagle.jpg

Grahame

Thank you very much for the ID once again! :t::t::t: The bird on my pics resembles adult Rufous-bellied Eagle very much!

16. Swiftlet again :)
2018_03_01 Borneo. Menumbok Ferry Terminal

Attachments

• IMG_3624.jpg
    IMG_3624.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3625.jpg
    IMG_3625.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3626.jpg
    IMG_3626.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3627.jpg
    IMG_3627.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3628.jpg
    IMG_3628.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 26
17. Plume-toed swiftlet?

Attachments

• IMG_3632.jpg
    IMG_3632.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3633.jpg
    IMG_3633.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3634.jpg
    IMG_3634.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 27
16. One more Swiftlet

Attachments

• IMG_3636.jpg
    IMG_3636.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3637.jpg
    IMG_3637.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3638.jpg
    IMG_3638.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3640.jpg
    IMG_3640.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3641.jpg
    IMG_3641.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 19
In Birds of Borneo Helm Guide 2 edition published in 2016 is written that juv Wallace's is distinguished from juv Blyth's by broader white tip to crest. Also the map of distribution shows that Blyth's can not be seen around Sepilok and Wallace's can be. But birds can fly :)

Wallace's is definitely on the Kinabatangan River, so I don't see why it couldn't be found at Sepilok. Blyth's is actually found at 500 m or above, and I'm pretty sure Sepilok isn't that high up, so maybe the fact that it's on the Avibase checklist - whereas Wallace's isn't - is a case of mistaken identity.

Grahame

Yes, Grahame is absolutely right. I hadn't looked at the 2nd image of the flying bird carefully and hadn't realised enough detail was apparent to ID the bird.

According to HBW, Black-nest Swiftlet is present on Labuan, so your images may be of this species. I wouldn't like to try to separate them from these images.

https://www.hbw.com/species/black-nest-swiftlet-aerodramus-maximus

That's true. Those Aerodramus guys are very hard to ID. I tried to find somу kind of revision of this group with good pictures but I didn't have success :(

I've made few pics of some swiftlet nests under one bridge on Klias river. I'll try to find them and post here. Hope they are more identifiable than the birds themself :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back