• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Low powered bins (1 Viewer)

Petrus82

I'm looking for a relatively cheap, solid performing, wide FOV low magnification binocular! I've almost dismissed the various incarnations of 6x30 porros as they feel ridiculously light in my huge hands.

So, the Nikon Action Ex 7x35 seems to tick a lot of boxes. Would this be a good purchase? Can anyone recommend anything else circa £100?

Your list of requirements describes the Meopta Meopro 6.5x32 quite well. New ones are beyond your budget, but here in the US at least, you can buy used ones for around $175. It would be well worth your time to seek one out....

Hurry if you're getting the Meopta 6.5x32 ..it's drying up some places.

6x30 is a hard size to make 'big'!
Yeah, the Yosemite 6x30 is amazing. The Vortex 6.5x32 Raptor is super nice, just to fill in the spectrum
with something chunkier-feeling.

The Vortex 6.5X32 Fury is another good choice if found used that several BF folks have indicated is very similar spec-wise to the 6.5X Meopta. We have a set in our house as well as the 6x30 Yosemite. Though the Leupold is fine for a low cost first bin (my daughter's), there is really no comparing it to the Fury, for which I would not hesitate to pay twice as much if not more. In fact, I found the Fury approached my Golden Ring HD 8X32 much more closely optically than I expected.

Had the Fury. Tried a sample at Bird Fair and like it. Ordered a pair and it was a dud. Collimation was out. No one commenting on the Nikon Action Ex....does this tell me something??

Petrus, actually I do have the 7x35 Action Ex. It is available in the US for around 107USD, and I think it is a tremendous value for the price that I paid. The apparent sharpness in the sweetspot is very good, as one would expect in a low power bin. However, the edges are noticeably soft. Moreover, to my eye, there is a yellow color cast to the image, and I noted above that you seem to find such color casts to be objectionable. Actually, Allbinos did a review of the 8x40 Action Ex, and I think that a lot of the discussion from that review are applicable to the 7x35 too. http://www.allbinos.com/260-binoculars_review-Nikon_Action_EX_8x40_CF.html

7x35 wides are good for local seeking/scanning.
I wish they had made extra-wide 6x30s (10-13 degrees), but those are extremely rare.
8.2deg actual sure beats 7.

"Had the Fury. Tried a sample at Bird Fair and like it. Ordered a pair and it was a dud."

Yes, always a risk for sure. Though Vortex will replace bad units like that no questions asked even if one is not the original owner.

I had the Nikon Action 7x35 and thought that it was very good value. The very poor edge performance (helps me to understand why manufacturers cut off the worst of the distorted field). I sold them as they didn't work for me. Tried the Viking MD 6.5x32. I had a QC issue with one, but ended with one that was good. For £99, it's a very good buy, IMO better than the Actions. Great edge definition, 8 degrees wide, good colour and sharpness, amazing close focus near to 1m.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back