• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HR 80 GA ED with SDL V2 Zoom (1 Viewer)

Gander

I have been using a MM3 60 for a couple of years now, and as a first scope it has been excellent, however, my set up with the MM3 only allows x45 magnification. I am increasingly using my scope for picking out distant waders at an estuary, and also a bit of sea watching, so it has become evident to me that I need something with a bit more reach.

I am currently leaning towards a HR 80 GA ED with the SDL V2 zoom. This should give the desired extra reach I believe. I would be very interested in any views on this set up.

I realise the ideal thing to do would be to try out the scope first, but having checked the online Opticron events/stockists list, there does not seem to be an opportunity to do so anywhere near me (or even in Scotland generally), so I may just have to buy and try.

I am hoping that the HR 80 will be a big improvement over the MM3 in terms of reach and clarity at distance. Am I right?

I'm also hoping that the HR 80 will be better in low light conditions than the MM3? Really it has to be with that much bigger a lens, but it would be nice to get it confirmed by someone with experience of the combo.

Gander,

I have used both scopes and side by side at that. If you are looking for extra reach with higher magnification and better low light performance at the same magnifications (in direct comparison) then the HR 80 ED certainly fits the bill.

The HR 80 is sharp right up to its maximum magnification of 72x. Of course there is a dimming of the image as you move up the magnification range but that is to be expected considering the exit pupil continues to get smaller on any scope as you increase the magnification.

If you are comparing 45x on the MM3 with 45x on the HR 80 in low light conditions then the HR 80 will be slightly brighter because of the larger objective diameter. In terms of brightness levels you will see similar levels of brightness at 60x with the HR 80 in comparison to 45x with the MM3 60.

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back