• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orlando (1 Viewer)

Sussex bird man

I will be of to Orlando in June on business and I'd like to take advantage of the trip and do a bit of birdwatching. I've read about Merritt Island. Is that the best option for a two-day excursion? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks. SBM

Sussex bird man said:
I will be of to Orlando in June on business and I'd like to take advantage of the trip and do a bit of birdwatching. I've read about Merritt Island. Is that the best option for a two-day excursion? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks. SBM

Alf's suggestion of the Florida Birding Trail site is very good. You don't mention exactly what your goals are. Are you simply pleasure birding, seeking specific species, or perhaps doing a bit of photography of the birds?

Merritt Island is great for all sorts of birds - including the Florida Scrub Jay. Also lots of 'gators and other fun animals. Kennedy Space center shares the island and there are some nice beaches.

Also on the east coast but a bit to the north is St. Augustine and the Alligator Farm - a great location for bird photography - nesting and roosting birds - all within just a few feet of the boardwalk and not at all wary of people or their cameras.

If you want to go to the west coast there is Ding Darling - a wonderful site for birding.

Wherever you go be prepared for mosquitoes and a hot sun.

One spot not to miss is the Orlando Wetlands which is east of Orlando on the way to Merritt Island. It is in the Florida Birding Trails.

Excellent! Thanks guys!!! Yes I like to mix a bit of watching with photography (not digiscoping). So the St. Augustine suggestion seems excellent, thanks Compa. Are there any good www sites to get more info?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back