• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dumfries And Galloway (1 Viewer)

DaveB

birding.daveb.co.uk
We will be visiting the southern areas of Dumfries and Galloway on Sunday 29th January and have a schedule as follows:

Loch Ryan
Laurieston
Loch Ken
Glencaple/Caerlaveroch

We have a good idea on what is to be found in those areas, but we are wonderring if anyone could provide any hints and tips to help us plan the day in the best possible way?

Is the King Eider there this year? Is there any White-winged Gulls, Divers, Scaup, L.T.Duck, etc.

Any news will be most welcome,

Thank you!

There is a really useful thread with hints on this arae - no time to search it now - try a Forum search and you should find it.

Have a good trip - great area.

No reports of King Eider this year I think, divers/grebes on Loch Ryan will be ever present late January, Taverner's and Richardson's Canada Goose with the Barnacles near or at Caerlaverock - and try to visit Mersehead RSPB - a really under rated and under watched reserve.

Rob,

I will search for the thread once i've replied.

What are your experiences at Mersehead? I hear that its similar to caerlaverock and possibly better!

Many thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
Great for Barnacles (less flighty than elsewhere perhaps?), good for raptors, Hen Harrier, Peregrine, Merlin, wildfowl and some woodland species (Firecrest wintered last year) - generally quite wild and less "reserve" like than Caerlaverock (which I also love!).

Last call

We will be embarking on our trip to the south-west coast of Scotland on Sunday morning.

Some excellent advice has already been given and has been taken on board. Now the time is near, can anyone offer any more advice that could help to make our trip more enjoyable.

Thank you!

Have a look at Glen kiln reservoir;Shaw Head off the A75. Kites, Buzzards, Black swans if they are still there, was a breeding pair. Cheers Charlie.

Haven't been down there for a wee while,but the sites you've mentioned will serve you well.I'd check Mersehead too.
At L.Ryan there should be grebes,diver and ducks galore incl. slav and probably bl. necked.P.b. Brent geese too.
Check 'The Wig' for large flocks of mixed Twite and other finches.It's on the south side of the loch..drive out of Stranraer on the A718 to Kirkcolm.
I'm sure you'll have some great birding.

We do Loch Ken before Laurieston and would recomend you try it, come down the back road (A762) past Woodhall Loch (couple of lay-bys to check out the loch) turning left just after the loch onto the minor road on left 3/4 mile before Laurieston. 400 yards on start checking the hills to your right this is behind the Kite feeding station so expect Kites, Buzzards, Ravens possible wintering Peregrine etc and usually a good selection of passerines, stonechat etc. there are several roadside pull-ins along this road all worth a stop and scan. Road continues on past small car park near Mains of Duchrae, stop here if you've time, Greenland White-fronts usually in fields between you and loch and its only a short walk to the goose observation platform. Then follow lochside road stopping at the pull-ins and scan out over the loch and the hills to your right. Park at the church hall car park and its a short walk to the church yard which being raised affords wonderful views out over the loch and reedbeds.

Laurieston, I presume this will be for the Kite feeding station? the best views are from the roadside looking up towards it (roadside verges very wide at this point but dont park in front of field gate, farmer dosen't take it kindly?) Look up towards feeding station hide (Bellymack Farm) as Kites come to it from behind so if your inside the hide you miss a lot of the action. Expect Kites, Buzzards and lots of Ravens plus whatever else turns up.

Enjoy and post a report.

Stewart

PS Mersehead is probably the RSPB's best kept SW Scotland secret, it does not get as crowded as Caerlaverock and as said is much wilder, one of our favourites.

Don't forget to stop in Dumfries and check the weir for Goosander - even at night by streetlight.

Ther's a Lesser Scaup at Caerlaverock and both small race Canada Geese have been seen around Glencaple.

Great steaks at the Nith Hotel too - and try the haggis starter - delicious!

Rob Smallwood said:
Don't forget to stop in Dumfries and check the weir for Goosander - even at night by streetlight.

Ther's a Lesser Scaup at Caerlaverock and both small race Canada Geese have been seen around Glencaple.

Great steaks at the Nith Hotel too - and try the haggis starter - delicious!
Nith Hotel is ace, we'll be there next weekend.

Stewart

This is the info that we need.

If we take the A712 from Newton Stewart to New Galloway, 'will this give us our best chance of seeing Golden Eagle'?

Our other concern is whether to drop in to Mersehead or Caerlaverock, 'I don't think we'll have the time to do both'. I think the emphasis will be on whether or not the Lesser Scaup is reported.

Whatever route we plan, I will make sure a report appears here for you guys to read.

Thanks,

PS. Where is Nith Hotel (sounds good)?

Last edited:
Thank you!

Thanks to all of you that helped us to plan this day out. It was only spoilt by the departure of Taverners Canada Goose and the Lesser Scaup.

The report that is posted on my website is as follows:

This trip to Loch Ryan produced a memorable day out for the group, producing a total of eighty nine different species of birds. Departed from the Gateshead at 0600am, with temperatures at a low of -4.5. Daylight hours produced a very cold, clear and sunny day with no wind.

We arrived at Loch Ryan at the estimated time of 0900am which produced plenty of garden birds that were visiting a nearby feeding station. At least 38 Black Guillimot were located on the east side of the loch, along with a single Razorbill. Other notable birds included Red-throated Diver (10+), Great Crested Grebe, Slavonian Grebe (3), Brent Goose (15+), Scaup (3), Long-tailed Duck (3), Common Scoter (30+), Red-breasted Merganser (7+), Turnstone (50+) and a single Common Snipe.

We departed for Loch Ken at 1100am. We made a decision to drive over the A712, Newton Stewart to New Galloway road. This route gave the group views of some of the most excellent scenery that Scotland has to offer, but unfortunately very few birds.

Loch Ken added some excellent birds to our list. White-fronted Goose, Greylag Goose, Canada Goose and a single Barnacle Goose were found at the northern end of the loch. Close views of both Red Kite (5+) and Common Buzzard (30+ throughout the day) were a pleasure to watch. No sign of Golden Eagle, Hen Harrier or Red-legged Partridge.

Glencaple was very quiet with no geese on show, but did give us distant views of Whooper Swan (50+). Also there was Kingfisher, Linnet and Common Redshank.

The drive to Caerlaverock gave us views of hundreds of Barnacle Goose and Pink-footed Goose. Whooper Swans were showing well, but no sign of any Bewicks Swans. There was also no sign of the Taverners Canada Goose or the Lesser Scaup (both reported on the previous day). Two Stonechat was seen at the south hide, along with Deer and Fox. Dozens of Yellowhammer was seen along the footpaths, being lit up beautifully by the evening sun.

A single Peregrine Falcon was seen by one member of the group before we all witnessed thousands of geese taking off and flying to roost. A Tawny Owl was seen resting on overhead cables. An excellent way to end the perfect day out birdwatching.

Was very tempted with a stop at the Nith Hotel, but it was not to be. Perhaps next time :t:

Attachments

• WhooperSwan@Caerlaverock_290106.2.jpg
    WhooperSwan@Caerlaverock_290106.2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 181
  • WhooperSwan@Caerlaverock_290106.5.jpg
    WhooperSwan@Caerlaverock_290106.5.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Yellowhammer@Caerlaverock_290106.jpg
    Yellowhammer@Caerlaverock_290106.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 169
  • Razorbill@LochRyan_290106.jpg
    Razorbill@LochRyan_290106.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 177
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back