• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New York Hummingbirds (1 Viewer)

David55

Scotland
Hi I am going to be in New York next week and wondered if anyone could advise me of the most reliable places to see Hummingbirds at this time?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
David

The southerly migration starts in September so you might have less chance of seeing them. I am no expert of course and someone else may have better information.

Hi I am going to be in New York next week and wondered if anyone could advise me of the most reliable places to see Hummingbirds at this time?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
David

Hi David, welcome to the forum, and if it's your first trip state side,
welcome again.

Perhaps the visit would be a good opportunity to check out some great technology and scholarship by registering at Ebird. It's a web site put together by Cornell University and Audubon. It will output reliable current sightings. If you have a smart mobile device or laptop you're bringing along, it's the next best thing to a guide. Registration is entirely up to you, but one can browse Birdforum and see testimony to the usefulness of Ebird.
http://ebird.org/ebird/eBirdReports?cmd=Start

Birding on the net resources, many links, eg....hotlines with locations
http://www.birdingonthe.net/birdmail.html

Audubon hotlines covering several areas, including New York
http://www.centralwestchesteraudubon.org/Hotlines.htm

The last 48 hours has been dynamic in that a dome of high pressure air that was over much of the southeastern and southern portions of the Midwest US, has weakened. Cooler, faster moving northern air is moving some birds. I've witnessed what was a plethora of male Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, just two days ago, drop to just two males over the last two days. With movement such as that, having the most current info ensures your best chance.

Last edited:
I have not seen a hummer in my yard (North Carolina) for the last 2 days. I have, however, been advised to keep at least one feeder up and I filled it this morning.

I have not seen a hummer in my yard (North Carolina) for the last 2 days. I have, however, been advised to keep at least one feeder up and I filled it this morning.

They're stacking up in a queue at the feeders here, Mike. Warm air blowing up from the gulf does seem to be keeping the birds on the ground. That pattern is moving east. I'm outside of St.Louis, no males have been seen for prior 6 days. Still many females & juveniles. A couple are on feeders at moment.

Tuesday evening last, had 13 rubies at two feeders.

Attachments

• K5__3079b.jpg
    K5__3079b.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 62
Still one showing up this morning - northern Minnesota! Hope the youngster isn't too late and will make it all the way south.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back