• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Powershot sx50/sx60 settings for bird pictures (1 Viewer)

safarisurfing

Hello, I am relatively new to birding and photography. I recently got the Canon sx60, but I have used the sx50 before. My question is, are there some basic modes and settings anyone can recommend for birding. I find it hard to get good focus using the automatic mode for both birds that are close and far away. I have also used the burst mode with mix success.

If anyone can offer any advice or tips it would be much appreciated.

Thank you for the link! I actually haven't used the sx60 yet but I am going to bird this Saturday and Monday, that is why I wanted to get some ideas for settings. I will post results.

One last question, what advantage is there to using the teleconverter over the zoom?

Use the optical zoom up to its maximum. Then if you need even more magnification, it is recommended you use the internal x1.5 or x2 digital teleconverter, rather than the digital zoom.

The digital teleconverter seems to produce better IQ than using the digital zoom. Reading the posts on this forum, I don't think anyone really knows why this is the case - just something to do with the way the teleconverter setting has been implemented by Canon!

Another unfavourable review comparing sx50 v sx60

stokesbirdingblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/review-canon-sx-60-for-bird-photography.html?m=1 …

Odd review. The comparison pics she's posted - to my eyes at least - show the sx60 images to be better!
The gull pics at the bottom are off because she (or the camera) hasn't actually focused on the imm gull (look at the water ripples behind it which are crisp and sharp......) which is why it is indeed soft compared to the nice ad shot below it taken on calmer water, therefore less movement to confuse the camera.
But I agree totally with the pointless removal of the ISO button and replacing it with gadget crap....and the rear dial is awful to use - totally flat and wooden feeling

Use the optical zoom up to its maximum. Then if you need even more magnification, it is recommended you use the internal x1.5 or x2 digital teleconverter, rather than the digital zoom.

The digital teleconverter seems to produce better IQ than using the digital zoom. Reading the posts on this forum, I don't think anyone really knows why this is the case - just something to do with the way the teleconverter setting has been implemented by Canon!

How does one engage the digital teleconverter? I've been reading this everywhere and I just can't figure out how to enable it. It's driving me mad...sorry if it's a stupid question.

Go into Menu, scroll down to 'Set shortcut button' and choose 'T'

Now the shortcut button 'S' will scroll through 1.6x, 2.0x and off, with each press

well after using the sx60 for a little bit, I like my sx50 better. I find for a novice camera user like me the image stabilization works better and the IQ is significantly better. Most of my shots come out soft with the sx60 but every now and then I'll get a decent shot.

well after using the sx60 for a little bit, I like my sx50 better. I find for a novice camera user like me the image stabilization works better and the IQ is significantly better. Most of my shots come out soft with the sx60 but every now and then I'll get a decent shot.

Perhaps you could kindly post some examples.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back