• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica New Jersey USA repair (1 Viewer)

Robert Moore

I sent my 10x42 Noctivid back to have the collimation checked out since the field stops were a little off when looking at stars on a tripod.
They sent me an email today saying the repair will be forwarded to a third party and they will keep me informed of the progress. Does anyone know who the third party is or have gone through this before?Just checking I didn’t want to ask Leica and thought I would just wait and see

I sent my 10x42 Noctivid back to have the collimation checked out since the field stops were a little off when looking at stars on a tripod.
They sent me an email today saying the repair will be forwarded to a third party and they will keep me informed of the progress. Does anyone know who the third party is or have gone through this before?Just checking I didn’t want to ask Leica and thought I would just wait and see
My 7X42 Ultravid (2004) is in for repair...
On 2/21 I received the following notice of receipt.

Dear Leica-Customer,
Thank you for sending us the Leica Products.
We will inform you about the test results as soon as possible.

No word as of yet, but I expect a satisfactory result.
The problems I listed:

1. "Speckles" visible inside both scopes from the objective end. The "speckles" uniformly (but not completely) cover the entire viewing area. I'm pretty sure it's not fungus; it looks more like coating failure.
2. Focus wheel somewhat stiff. It was never upgraded.
3. Hinge a bit too stiff and uneven. It was VERY stiff (almost frozen) for a long time.
4. Crack in the diopter window (a seemingly common problem).

PS
If anyone has an early Ultravid (mine is from 2004) I'd be interested in what you see from the objective side with a flashlight...it's dark in there!

A logical option would be Cory. However, that logical option would be wrong. I just got off the phone with him and he says he doesn't have it.

Bill

Pileatus, sorry you had so many issues with your Ultravid. I saw a brand new Zeiss recently with coating glitches, but didn't know coatings could fail over time? A couple of years ago I sent in my trusty Trinovid BN because some kind of black fleck had somehow got onto an internal lens surface, naturally in the view of the sky. It was fixed and returned very promptly. They also recalibrated the diopter, which had never read the same for me as other binos I've used, but I considered that a very minor thing. It's performed admirably... as one would of course expect at that price point. I'm surprised how many quality complaints I hear (now?) about alpha binos.

A logical option would be Cory. However, that logical option would be wrong. I just got off the phone with him and he says he doesn't have it.

Bill

Thanks Bill,

If they use him he might get it. They just got the binoculars Thursday. I emailed them back today and ask,
so I will see what they say on Monday.

Thanks,
Rob

Well I called Leica and they said the binoculars are being sent back to Germany.
Hope it doesn’t take to long. I guess I should not have been so picky. 😂

This was my last email from Leica:

Dear Valued Leica Customer,

Thank you for sending your equipment in for repair. We have in turn
forwarded it to a third party to complete the repair. As soon as we
received it back, we will return it to you. If we hear any news in the
meantime, we will certainly let you know.

Best regards
Leica Camera USA
Customer Care

Though communication leaves something to be desired from Leica New Jersey, they have surprised me three out of three times for their going beyond the expected.

Thanks Bill,

If they use him he might get it. They just got the binoculars Thursday. I emailed them back today and ask,
so I will see what they say on Monday.

Thanks,
Rob

Hi, Rob:

Before Minolta merged with Konica and then went under, I’ve had situations in which I would need something as simple as a rubber eyecup and they would want me to “send it in” so they could “check it out.”

Please share why I should go to the time and expense of sending a pound and a half bino to you as opposed to you sending me—ONE OF YOUR BLOODY DEALERS—a quarter ounce piece of rubber for a binocular with the model, aperture, magnification, and serial number given.

Of course, I can look at the bright side. I was once told by a repair rep at TASCO that the bino I needed a part for was NOT THEIR PRODUCT, although I was reading the nomenclature directly off the backplates as I was on the phone. But then I’m sure the young lady with 2 months with the company couldn’t wrap it around her head that TASCO was selling binoculars many years before she was hired and there might be a chance SHE might not be aware of all of them. :cat:

Bill

I received my Noctivid today from Leica. It had to go back to Germany because I had an issue with the collimation. It took 6 weeks total and no cost for me only the shipping I had to pay to get them to New Jersey. The collimation is now excellent. For some reason they kept the original objective covers and replaced them with the soft rubber ones like Swarovski uses. I have been using my only other binocular while the Leica was getting repaired a Zeiss 8x32 conquest hd which is a nice binocular but let me just say it ain’t no Noctivid. Glad to have it back and Leica warranty was excellent for me.

Rob

I received my Noctivid today from Leica. It had to go back to Germany because I had an issue with the collimation. It took 6 weeks total and no cost for me only the shipping I had to pay to get them to New Jersey. The collimation is now excellent. For some reason they kept the original objective covers and replaced them with the soft rubber ones like Swarovski uses. I have been using my only other binocular while the Leica was getting repaired a Zeiss 8x32 conquest hd which is a nice binocular but let me just say it ain’t no Noctivid. Glad to have it back and Leica warranty was excellent for me.

Rob

Great news Rob! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back