• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do I finally have an AHY female Rufous (1 Viewer)

zoutedrop

zoutedrop
I started photographing early this year to try and catch an AHY female Rufous. I have the HYF, HYM and AHYM confirmed in prior years. I am basing my call on the coloration above the black on R2. Please make my day...... :t:

Attachments

• RUHU AHYF.jpg
    RUHU AHYF.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 66
OK, this time I think I have her. Note the worn rectrices and R5 is very narrow.

Attachments

• RUHU f 01.jpg
    RUHU f 01.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 56
  • RUHU f 02.jpg
    RUHU f 02.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 58
  • RUHU f 03.jpg
    RUHU f 03.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 50
This is a toughie. The understated gorget pattern is more consistent with a juvenile female, but all the rects look rather narrow for a juvenile female Rufous. We sometimes see that kind of tail wear on juveniles, but her body plumage also doesn't look too fresh (though Allen's start nesting earlier than Rufous, and early-fledged juveniles would be on the worn side by now). Hmm...

One more attempt at persuasion.... here is a composite of 6 R5s. 5 of them have been IDd as Rufous HYF. The one on the bottom right is my latest candidate. There is clearly a width difference, rather dramatic actually.

Attachments

• composite.jpg
    composite.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 52
Yup. If that last bird is a juvenile female, the widths of the rects make me lean toward Allen's. If she's an adult (second-year to explain the gorget and R2), I'd have to lean toward Rufous. Sorry she's so ambiguous!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back