• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (9 Viewers)

Managed to get the tripod fixed, so went back to Cantley for some more! Similar species to yesterday, but the added bonus of a Little Stint and 3 Curlew Sandpiper. Full count on my blog.
Cheers,
Jim.

Fantastic list of waders Jim! Must get myself down there sometime.
I happened to be one of those "hardened souls" who waited for the WBW and GW at Cromer this weekend. Trust me for the views I had I was I hadn't! Missed the Phalarope at Cley as a result :-C

Fantastic list of waders Jim! Must get myself down there sometime.
I happened to be one of those "hardened souls" who waited for the WBW and GW at Cromer this weekend. Trust me for the views I had I was I hadn't! Missed the Phalarope at Cley as a result :-C

I am glad you got them as I did as well , 2 Chiffchaffs & a Garden Warbler outside my flat in Norwich 2day & several Chiffchaffs at Strumpshaw fen 2day + good views of Kingfishers

Last edited:
What are the access arrangements for Cantley Beet factory ? hours/permit etc ? I've not been there before. thanks in advance.

Park at the main factory office and sign in at security,picking up a permit. Depending on how busy the site is,staff may let you drive down to the carpark nearest the pits. Otherwise,small carpark opposite bowls club on road to reedcutters pub. You then follow the public footpath alongside the river,when fence ends pits are on your left. You could of course arrive by train,pick up permit,follow footpath.
Cheers,
Jim.

I'll get another year or two use out if it yet!

RBA reporting a Pectoral Sandpiper at Cantley today,on the main pit. Few LRP also. Typical!
Jim.

Titchwell August 31st

Today’s highlights

Dunlin – 160 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper – 22 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 3 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 10 west
Great skua – 16 west in 90mins this morning
Arctic skua – 5 west in 90mins this morning

Paul

Norfolk Bank Holiday weekend
Tina & I had the pleasure of visiting your wonderful county again this weekend.
Whenever we visit we always seem lucky enough to find a new UK tick and this weekend was no exception. We would have liked to have got the wryneck at Wells Woods, however we don't have a pager and didn't find out about it until on our way home.
Yesterday morning at Chosley a very worn Buzzard was soaring at Chosley briefly before heading south.
It had a rufous neck and tail feathers, it was white underwing and was lacking the distinct carpal patches, normal for a common buzzard. The outer band was quite
distinct , though I was unable to make out any baring on the tail feathers.
Whilst I accept that this was most likely a Common buzzard in moult, I thought that it might be worth a mention.
The photos below are indistinct I know.
Unfortunately my EOS is in for a reset at the moment and the old Olympus 550 doesn't focus to well, it likes clouds a lot though.
Best
Mick

Attachments

• Buzzard Choseley 300811Z30082011_Resize.jpg
    Buzzard Choseley 300811Z30082011_Resize.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Buzzard 2 Choseley 300811Z30082011_Resize.jpg
    Buzzard 2 Choseley 300811Z30082011_Resize.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 105
  • Buzzard 1 Choseley 300811Z30082011_Resize.jpg
    Buzzard 1 Choseley 300811Z30082011_Resize.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 116
Late news - Sunday 28th August

Cley Coastguards. In half an hour between 5pm and 5.25pm we counted 21 Manx Shearwaters and 10 Arctic Skuas! I texted RBA to alert others that there was a good passage going on. Final list was: 56 Manx Shearwaters, 28 Arctic Skuas, 2 Bonxies, 3 Guillemots, 12 Gannets, 1 Common Scoter, 1 Dunlin, 1 Little Gull, 155 Sanderling, 1 Whimbrel, 1 Fulmer and 1 Eider. See full account of the day on my blog.

Lovely video of the Walsey, Red-backed Shrike by Pete Snook on my blog here

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Norfolk Bank Holiday weekend
Tina & I had the pleasure of visiting your wonderful county again this weekend.
Whenever we visit we always seem lucky enough to find a new UK tick and this weekend was no exception. We would have liked to have got the wryneck at Wells Woods, however we don't have a pager and didn't find out about it until on our way home.
Yesterday morning at Chosley a very worn Buzzard was soaring at Chosley briefly before heading south.
It had a rufous neck and tail feathers, it was white underwing and was lacking the distinct carpal patches, normal for a common buzzard. The outer band was quite
distinct , though I was unable to make out any baring on the tail feathers.
Whilst I accept that this was most likely a Common buzzard in moult, I thought that it might be worth a mention.
The photos below are indistinct I know.
Unfortunately my EOS is in for a reset at the moment and the old Olympus 550 doesn't focus to well, it likes clouds a lot though.
Best
Mick

It looks shot to bits! And there's lots of estates out that way....

Only kidding ;). It looks like a classic Common Buzzard to my eyes, a heavily moulting adult bird. Juveniles I've been seeing recently are all absolutely pristine.

Atb,

James

Hi,

We are over in Norfolk next week for what is looking like a week of bad weather :(
If the Wryneck stays in Wells (probably not) can anyone tell me where you go and park and stuff to be able to see it?
thanks in advance.

Wells Wryneck

Try this: http://gridreferencefinder.com/?gr=TF9140743898|Wryneck|0&z=18&v=h&t=Wryneck - on Aerial View.

Use Google Map, etc., to see site at higher resolution.

Bird is at NW corner of childrens' play area, often viewed from the top of the sea-defence bank, sometimes from the bottom. Feeds close to fence which runs north-south at west end of play area. You will probably just have to join the group of birders !

Park in Freeman St/Holkham Road and walk around corner by the quay.

I find French's fish&chips the best.

Titchwell September 1st

Today’s highlights

Curlew sandpiper – 19 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 7 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 1 over reserve
Ruff – 23 on fresh marsh
Greater flamingo – escaped bird on fresh marsh

Paul

Berry gaudy

No, it’s not a misspelled article about the founder of Motown, but a brief account of this afternoon along the front at Warham Greens and Stiffkey.

I have never seen so many berries as are in the vicinity of the Whirligig. Others commented, too. Elders, brambles, hips and haws in their millions- yes ! I was there, vainly seeking a reported Barred Warbler; instead, I flushed a Baz walker.

Earlier, around 1400 hours, I had gone down the westernmost track and saw ten buzzard-types above the pines at East Hills. Some were even further off: attempting, it seems, to beat into the strongish, easterly wind and might have had a longer profile. My 8x bins were not powerful enough for all this.

However, by the time I’d trudged back up the track, driven the car down and put up the ‘scope, I could only see seven- all Buzzards. They soon moved off in a westerly or south-westerly direction.

There must be some migration tomorrow. (Please.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back