• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acros and Acronyms- birding terms explained! - beginning birders (2 Viewers)

Please can anyone tell me what "LTW" would refer to?
I was reading a thread about vultures in the Ordesa in Northern Spain, but I don't think that "LTW" was region specific.
Thank you
Harry

Please can anyone tell me what "LTW" would refer to?
I was reading a thread about vultures in the Ordesa in Northern Spain, but I don't think that "LTW" was region specific.
Thank you
Harry

Think I've just seen the thread - in this case LTW would seem to be the letters on the colour ring on the birds leg ;)

A very useful thread, indeed.
Have never been a 'group' bird watcher; mainly family or alone so never came across much more than "LBJ" etc as a youngster from my uncles, who were walking guides in the New Forest.
When I came back to the UK and moved to Norfolk, I started following some of the available websites, and was totally stumped by the term "vismigging".
Have now caught up with that and many other terms that help and some that I will shun, so thank you for the thread.
Harry

Bling. Refers to a ring on a birds leg. In particular when deciding if a bird is an escape or plastic. Eg that bird is plastic cos it's showing bling.
However of course many wild birds are also ringed as part of studies into migration and such so and bird displaying bling may not always be plastic. Often the pattern of coloured rings or if visible the numbers and letters can be used to trace a birds heritage.

Bird pronunciation;

Whooper Swan; pronounced Hooper, not wooper (or wopper)

There must be a few others, eg Pochard, hard 'ch' not soft.

---

Common Mispellings - Common Scooter seems to crop up quite frequently, always brightens any day ;-)

Bird pronunciation;

Whooper Swan; pronounced Hooper, not wooper (or wopper)

There must be a few others, eg Pochard, hard 'ch' not soft.

---

Common Mispellings - Common Scooter seems to crop up quite frequently, always brightens any day ;-)
An old one for you. Gyr
Amount of times this one comes up.

Last edited:
Mmmmmm ...

Not sure if there ever was concensus on that one? Ger is in Gerbil, Ger as in Gertrude or Gyre as in Gyrocopter?

(Unless I've been mispronouncing some of those wrong?!) Whereas Whooper and Pochard are obviously either right or wrong ... )

LOL I've always pronounced it Gire in my head.

Not in anger though, as I've never seen one.... yet!

Wikipedia (which is NEVER wrong, of course) gives it as 'dʒɜːr', which I believe is roughly what we are calling 'jer'.
So there. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back