• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which Monopod? (1 Viewer)

DeeDeeG

Right so, sorted the camera and lens, but now thinking i need a monopod for abit more stability. Would like a tripod, but am really worried that it is going to be rather heavy to lug around. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced monopod!!

Hello DDG, if i may use that form,

I do not know what you consider 'reasonably priced.' However, I use a Monosat monopod with a tilt head, which works quite well with my 12x50 binocular. I am unconvinced that a monopod works for digiscoping. Perhaps someone with such experience will post.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewoodl :hi:,

hi ddg,
I have been using this, with my scope, and camera setup with a 400mm lens on,
I find them light to carry, does have 6 years warranty, and you can set them up in various configurations
I used to carry a tripod about, until I used one of them, now this is all I use,
very reasonable priced and you can get different variations of the monopod as well, you can use the base feed to use as a table stand,
here's a link of the sirui monopod,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIRUI-P2...745605&hash=item1edec1f2f2:g:fr8AAOSw0XFa1auz
hth.... regards...Keith in Swindon

I understand you have the 150-600 sigma, DDG.

600mm requires good long lens technique. I have seen people using long telephotos on monopods and it looks really cumbersome to me. A tripod set up would be my choice. At least you can put it down and give your arms a rest.

Best wishes.

hi ddg, the link I sent a few posts above, of the monopod I use the monopod comes with a collapsible base so you can use the monopod stood up on its own (not recommended) or remove from base and attach the supplied spike to it,
the base of the monopod also rotates and you can lean approx. 45 degrees with it whist still on the ground, try doing that with a tripod,
I have several tripods here, and to date the monopod works for me, its light and will take your load you want depending on the head you choose, I have had over 3 kilos on mine, without a problem (using the opticron 100mm scope and camera attached
now I just use the camera and 400mm lens on it,
regards...keith

My criteria for monopods is that they be made of thick sections and the fewer the better. I'll trade cary-ability for a more solid footing, and the more sections the slimmer the bottom sections. It of course depends on what you expect to shoot, but bending to be able to track a bird high in the trees or in flight, gets old really fast on my old body and so my next monopod will be a no expense spared model which reaches at least 78 or 80 inches ( approximately 200 mm) so that with a gimbal on it I can comfortably aim high, or low.

My criteria for monopods is that they be made of thick sections and the fewer the better. I'll trade cary-ability for a more solid footing, and the more sections the slimmer the bottom sections. It of course depends on what you expect to shoot, but bending to be able to track a bird high in the trees or in flight, gets old really fast on my old body and so my next monopod will be a no expense spared model which reaches at least 78 or 80 inches ( approximately 200 mm) so that with a gimbal on it I can comfortably aim high, or low.

The challenge is getting this type of monopod through the airline luggage system. Airlines discourage carry-ons over 22 inches, so it becomes luggage.
I wind up buying based on folded length, which eliminates a lot of good options.

The camping industry has begun to offer sectional tent poles held together by an interior shock cord, that might be a better approach to making a solid monopod.

The challenge is getting this type of monopod through the airline luggage system. Airlines discourage carry-ons over 22 inches, so it becomes luggage.
I wind up buying based on folded length, which eliminates a lot of good options.

The camping industry has begun to offer sectional tent poles held together by an interior shock cord, that might be a better approach to making a solid monopod.

I did not think of that, and that is definitely something to add to the equation. On the other hand I have two other monopods already, which only lack, and frustrate me, on the points I mentioned. So like often is the case, it would seem that at least two monopods are a good idea. One can get good tall monopods with five sections, but then I find them infuriating in use, so I tend towards having two or three extremes in all things. My next monopod will be tall and only three sections, because I find that where I use my long lenses, weight and portability are not as much a concern as fluidity, and efficiency of use. Of course, I drive everywhere, rather than fly, even if it's across the country, as for me, it's all about the trip, not just the destination.

I did not think of that, and that is definitely something to add to the equation. On the other hand I have two other monopods already, which only lack, and frustrate me, on the points I mentioned. So like often is the case, it would seem that at least two monopods are a good idea. One can get good tall monopods with five sections, but then I find them infuriating in use, so I tend towards having two or three extremes in all things. My next monopod will be tall and only three sections, because I find that where I use my long lenses, weight and portability are not as much a concern as fluidity, and efficiency of use. Of course, I drive everywhere, rather than fly, even if it's across the country, as for me, it's all about the trip, not just the destination.

Clearly you have a lot more freedom if you drive.
For non fliers, I'd note the Audubon birding tripod is only two sections and has good reviews.
https://www.theaudubonshop.com/product/birder-tripod-legs-only/

The gear requirements for photographers are much more stringent than for observers. As an observer, I'm happy to get glimpses, but photographers need more to nail the shot. Their needs exceed my competence.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back