• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which camera should i get (1 Viewer)

Interesting Steve - where abouts exactly did your BR setup break? How much weight were you carrying on it? And for how long before it broke?

I've got 6lbs on mine (borne on the lens tripod foot) for about 2 years actual use - say 2 or 3 times a week on average. There is very minimal wear (necking) on the metal attachment clip, though I have seen photos of worse (greater than half the diameter ....)

Looks like there are lots of generic permutations available ..... lol. China.

Chosun :gh:

Once it was the bit that goes into the camera thread and once th bit that is attached to. Whatever a 7D and 100 - 400L weigh. About 3kg.

Once it was the bit that goes into the camera thread and once th bit that is attached to. Whatever a 7D and 100 - 400L weigh. About 3kg.
Thanks for the heads up Steve :t:

I just checked mine, and the screw in eyelet (into the tripod foot of the lens) is ok (I had it done up really tight) both on the thread and the inside surface of the eyelet. The inside surface of the connecting carabiner has lost its black surface coating, and there is perhaps ~0.5-1mm necking evident at the bottom inside of the curve where the contact is, and the weight is borne.

I will have to keep an eye on it, and one of those back up tethers sounds like a good idea. I'm in the habit of checking that the eyelet thread is done up tight everytime I put the sling on and go for a walk anyway.

Chosun :gh:

Too late to the show, I guess. I have the Panasonic G81 with the Pana 100-400 and couldn't be happier. The combo has dual stabilisation (in camera and in lens), and I am finally getting sharp shots from birds far away.

Thanks for all your comments. Well i have ended up with a Nikon D7200 with a Sigma 150 - 600mm lens. Must admit, i have alot to learn, but hopefully will get to grips with it eventually!!! Thinking i may have to increase my spinnach intake now, or start weight training!!!!!

Missed this thread earlier- I'm a big fan of the D7200 - an excellent choice! I use it with a 300mm PF and 1.4x converter - much more compact but would've been over your budget, with less reach.

I've got a Peak Design Slide camera strap, which you might look at as an alternative to the Black Rapid. Very happy with it, camera sits lens-down on your waist- comfortable, discreet, and hasn't let me down yet...with the Sigma I think you'd attach one end to the tripod collar, it uses an Arca-Swiss compatible plate so would have the advantage of being easy to place on a suitable tripod head.

Congrats on your purchase. I have been considering the Sigma 150-600 lens, as well as the Tamron variant. Hope it tracks well and is a sharp lens for you.

Don't pick a camera for it's size, don't pick a camera at all in fact. Pick the lens system! that would always be my advice, and you did admirably well, in that Nikon has, along with Canon just about every lens need covered and at all price points.

You date with the body in mind, you marry with the lenses in mind, is one way to sum it up. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back