• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Bird19189

So I'm fairly new to serious birdwatching, I have a pair of 10x25 binoculars and I have a few issues with them:

I am naturally a little bit shaky with my hands and the x10 doesn't help

I find them too small in terms of range, anything over 100 foot is hard to depict colours, which slows down species recognition

The scope is poor I feel like I'm looking through a tube of smarties....

So I am hoping for suggestions, not on individual products but lenses I should be looking at......
I need good range clear sight up to 200m
Lenses that absorb a lot of light - my job entails me straining myeyes a lot, so I need compensating lenses
Weight of the binoculars is not an issue

On my very quick search I come to the conclusion of 7 x 42/50

what do we think?

Perfect given your requirements. That said, any good quality 7-8 x 40-50 glass would be a huge improvement over your 10x 25.

Essex Wildlife Trust are holding an Optics Event at their Centre at Abberton Reservoir, not too far from you, on Sunday 7 Jan where you should be able to check out various models/specifications to see what suits you best, and ask questions face to face.

I have an RSPB HD 10x42. Love it. I dont notice the shake at all with this bin. Prefer it over the 8x42 any day. But nothing like testing it out as Simon suggests.

A decent pair of 8x42 should do the trick. If weight is an issue you may want to look at something a little more compact such as an 8x32 but these are really better for close work such as woodland birding.

Also eye relief (distance from eyepiece to lens) is an important factor especially if you normally wear spectacles.

As with many things in life cost pays an important part and it often pays to go the best that you can afford. The top end makes, whilst more expensive, will usually have much better optics and build quality. A cheap option may turn out more expensive in the long run if they do not stand the test of time. That said there are some very acceptable budget optics available these days coming from china and the like.

As said before you should always try before you buy to ensure that they are compatible and meet your needs. Remember, even the poorest quality optics will look good on a bright sunny day. The real test is when it is dull. You get a better appreciation of the light gathering and colour definition performance.

Good luck

Definitely try out the x32 and x42 sizes. I find x32 binoculars to be too light and small for me to enjoy. I don't keep them as steady and given that I wear glasses most of the time, have not been impressed with the eye relief. 7x or 8x are great for all around use, good magnification and generally easy to hold steady.

If you can compare Alpha brand optics (even their 2nd level price points )side by side with value brands you'll get a better understanding of build quality, optics and what you are paying for. And you can decide what works for you price wise.

To hammer home the point being made above: try before you buy.

Optics are not the things to buy on recommendation alone. If possible pick a day with poor light as this really shows up the quality of optics. Maybe make a day of it at a reserve that stocks a good range and don't get rushed into things.

When we moved on to quality binoculars, my wife and I went to the Bird Fair and visited the various stands multiple times trying things out.

Best wishes

what do we think?

You should check out some of the posts on the Binocular sub-forum here on this site. There are a few people that like to bird with 7x and they will likely have some recommendations. You can get a very nice set of optics for not a lot of money. If you don't mind size/weight, I'd consider something x50ish if you are particularly wanting something that lets in a lot of light. In terms of what "everyone" uses, 8x42 is a very common configuration. If you want to seriously ditch the shake, Canon makes some IS binoculars that are quite good, but they might set you back some $$$.

So I'm fairly new to serious birdwatching, I have a pair of 10x25 binoculars and I have a few issues with them:

I am naturally a little bit shaky with my hands and the x10 doesn't help

I find them too small in terms of range, anything over 100 foot is hard to depict colours, which slows down species recognition

The scope is poor I feel like I'm looking through a tube of smarties....

So I am hoping for suggestions, not on individual products but lenses I should be looking at......
I need good range clear sight up to 200m
Lenses that absorb a lot of light - my job entails me straining myeyes a lot, so I need compensating lenses
Weight of the binoculars is not an issue

On my very quick search I come to the conclusion of 7 x 42/50

what do we think?
There's a fair bit to it, but you should be able to get a useful improvement over your 10x25's.

Before delving into formats (power x objective size) I think it's worth mentioning a couple of points (some of which have been touched on already in posts answering your question).

First up is that 'fit' to your face /hands will have quite a bearing on how steady and satisfactory the view is. In general, the higher the magnification power, the less steady the view. 7, or 8x is generally the limit for handheld viewing, though with the right fit, 10x is entirely doable, sometimes more. Depending on the 'fit' to you, you may even find that a particular 10x bin is steadier to hold than another 7, or 8x.

Secondly as has already been mentioned, the more demanding conditions (such as low light, back lighting, dull skies etc) is where the higher quality bins will earn their keep.

Thirdly, your age will generally determine how much exit pupil (objective size divided by magnification) you can use. Young people can use 5 or 6mm or more, whilst someone in their 70's say is mostly maxed out at about 4mm in daylight and can even get away with 3mm. If the exit pupil of your binoculars is less than what your eye can readily use then the binoculars will appear to lose brightness (as your 10x25's might). Generally about 5mm is pretty good.

Fourthly, you need to have the correct eye relief (distance from your eye to the ocular lens). If you wear glasses, this may limit your choice though most bins these days are pretty good. If you don't wear glasses, then the eye cups need to extend far enough to suit you.

It's all about the 'fit' for you. You really need to try the bins in person. One format/brand will 'speak to you'. Certainly they'll all have something to say to your wallet at any rate!

As has been said 8x42 is a pretty good all rounder. I don't think you need to go to 50mm unless you are young and looking at a 10x50. Some people love a 7x42, and if most of your viewing is close-in amongst dense vegetation on fast moving subjects in low light then you might too. The extra wide field 8x42 Zeiss SF and Nikon MHG pretty much negate 7x bins to a large extent these days.

If a bit older, or looking at more open environments, then a 10x42 might be your cup of tea, or even a 10x32.

Whichever format you choose, generally quality counts and there aren't too many substitutes for it.

I would suggest a 8x42, or 8.5x42 would be a good start. Bins such as the Zeiss SF, or HT, or Swarovski SV, or SLC, or Nikon EDG or MHG have lots to recommend them. You might also like a Leica UVHD+ if you don't wear glasses, or an NV if you do. In an 8x32 I like the Swarovski 8x32 SV.

In a 10x, the Swarovski 10x50 SV is king. In a 10x42 the Zeiss SF, or Nikon MHG are good. The only 10x32 I like is the Swarovski SV. The wider fields of these particular 10x's make them useful in general in my view. The other thing to remember with 10x is that depth of field (dof - the range of distance in focus at any one time) is pretty thin. This may be a disadvantage (or advantageous) depending on your requirements.

As has been said previously, you might also like a stabilized bin - Canon's 10x42 springs to mind .....

If your hands are a bit shaky as you say, then ergonomics /fit will be the most important of the factors I mentioned.

Chosun :gh:

Just a quick note to say: Don't forget about porros. If there's one single bit of advice that I wish I'd had, it would have been to consider porros in my binocular search. The ergonomics suit me, the 3d view is lovely, and the quality of the optics for the money seems much better. Roofs have advantages too, but do check out both.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back