• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Apps and other kit for beginners. (1 Viewer)

Roper1

Hello, We moved to England recently and my 10 year old son and I would like to learn more about birds here. We are based in North Derbyshire/ South Yorkshire areas. Are there any good apps to help get us started? We have a book from the rspb on the way and an old pair of binoculars. Are there any essentials we should look out for?
Thanks

Hello, We moved to England recently and my 10 year old son and I would like to learn more about birds here. We are based in North Derbyshire/ South Yorkshire areas. Are there any good apps to help get us started? We have a book from the rspb on the way and an old pair of binoculars. Are there any essentials we should look out for?
Thanks

Another pair of binoculars. Sharing binoculars is no fun at all and two pairs of eyes are better than one when trying to locate birds.
Joining the RSPB and then go on outings with the local group would be a good start, lots of advice and information from other local people available that way!

HTH

Nick

Hi I use audubon bird guide app very useful has lists to check off birds u see and has a section to help u find out what kind of bird ur seening

Welcome :) I have only been birding a year - but here is my twopeneths worth!

I also take my birding rucksack everywhere I go. As well as my binoculars and camera it contains, lens wipes, tissues, baby wipes, a note book and gel pen (always works in the cold and wet!), my Collins and La Rousse ID books and my WWT and RSPB cards.

I would recommend joining the local Wildlife Trust as a well as the RSPB. It is cheap and you can get free entry and parking to all Wildlife Trust reserves around the country, except Norfolk!

Have fun birding!

Although the Collins guide is excellent and a book you will certainly want to move on to as your interest develops, the RSPB guide is arguably better for beginners as it focusses on species you are likely to see in Britain. It also has more information on the status and distribution of individual species, and is lighter and easier to carry around.
I can't comment on the Collins app as I've not used it, but certainly having recordings of song and calls would be a useful asset - learning bird song is a very useful skill as well as very rewarding, and you are starting at the right time of year as the breeding season is getting underway.

Check out this article, "Bird Watching Beginners Guide" it's really easy to follow and it also shows three cool Birding Apps (Merlin Bird ID, Audubon Bird Guide App, and eBird by Cornell Lab) that you can use for bird watching. Good luck to you mate!

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back