• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with upgrade. (1 Viewer)

Stonesy66

Hi, I am hoping that anyone out there can help me. I am about to upgrage to some new binoculrs as my first pair from 30 years ago have seen better days. I have 200-300 pounds to spend and was after views on the Hawke ED, Visionary Fieldtracker ED or Opticron Countryman. They will be used for general birdwatching and not especially in low light conditions. I have handled a couple of pairs and prefer the roof prism design. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers,

Hi, I am hoping that anyone out there can help me. I am about to upgrage to some new binoculrs as my first pair from 30 years ago have seen better days. I have 200-300 pounds to spend and was after views on the Hawke ED, Visionary Fieldtracker ED or Opticron Countryman. They will be used for general birdwatching and not especially in low light conditions. I have handled a couple of pairs and prefer the roof prism design. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers,

I think it's a little bit tricky here. One thing I've realised is that beyond a basic quality point, personal preference makes a big difference. I've not seen the Visionary so I can't commenton that. The other two are very different beasts. For my eyes, the was no CA with the Hawke. I think it has a field flattening element and is probably the most popular choice in the UK at the moment. My eyesight might be odd, but I didn't find it best in class for contrast, and the focus is on the slow side; laborious for my tastes. The Contryman is perhaps a bit old fashioned. There is pronounce field curvature and the CA, not bad but obvious. I personally preferred the focus and the contrast. I know I might be in the minority but I might be inclined to save a bit of cash and go for the Contryman, but you really need to figue it out for yourself.

I've not tried them yet, but Helios have a couple of very reasonably priced new EDs out. There old models were good for the money so I would be tempted to give them a look as well.

Try to get to a well stocked retailer if you can. On Pete Gamby field test list there is one in Stafford next weekend if that helps.

David

David, many thanks for taking the time to reply and also for the advice. I shall certainly try to make the day at Stafford. Excuse my ignorance but what does CA mean.

Cheers, Stonesy.

David, many thanks for taking the time to reply and also for the advice. I shall certainly try to make the day at Stafford. Excuse my ignorance but what does CA mean.

Cheers, Stonesy.
Look up "chromatic aberration in binoculars" on google. There are sites with good explanations out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back