• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help! Pheasant like impostor (1 Viewer)

Lupy2018

Hi all,

I was taking some photographs at Thrunton Woods today, near Rothbury, Northumberland, England.

A pheasant sized bird ran across the path, but it wasnt like anything I had ever seen before. It was black breasted and necked, with a white back and long striking white tail feathers. Its stayed ahead of me on the ground for a little while, then flew off when i got closer.

I've been trawling the internet for hours with no success, I am starting to think its not British at all. Please helps guys, its becoming an obsession.

Carl

Maybe an exotic pheasant species, or just a particular colour morph of Common Pheasant (I've heard that greenish or dark ones are popular). Populations of several species were released in Britain during the last few centuries.

Sounds a bit like one of the Lophura species, maybe Silver Pheasant? Obviously an escape from captivity, but they are quite widely kept and I wouldn't consider it impossible for them to breed as ferals in the UK (as other exotics like Reeves and Lady Amherst's pheasants have at times).

Hi Lupy, Welcome to bird forum, The bird you saw was most likely a pheasant species but more like a colour morph as Sangahyando said, I,ve not seen this particular colour morph you witnessed today before in the outdoors, but I,ve seen a number of colour types over the years, a parkland/estate near to where I live often replenishes its stock of pheasant only yesterday I saw two pheasant due to distance I could not be sure If one of these birds a pure white one was the one I saw later which was white apart from black streaking on the breast may have been the same bird so yes there are a number of different types out there.

Hi Lupy, Welcome to bird forum, The bird you saw was most likely a pheasant species but more like a colour morph as Sangahyando said, I,ve not seen this particular colour morph you witnessed today before in the outdoors, but I,ve seen a number of colour types over the years, a parkland/estate near to where I live often replenishes its stock of pheasant only yesterday I saw two pheasant due to distance I could not be sure If one of these birds a pure white one was the one I saw later which was white apart from black streaking on the breast may have been the same bird so yes there are a number of different types out there.
It could have been one of the 15 recognized subspecies of silver pheasant.. this link may help https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_pheasant

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back