• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

white tail feather on grackle? (1 Viewer)

annieB

hello , anybody out there know why a grackle would have a single white feather on its tail? we've seen him at the feeder for two years now.

Hi, Annie, and welcome to the forum!

The white feather could be a bit of "leucism" or partial albinism, which is not uncommon among birds. This is a condition where single feathers or patches of feathers are lacking their normal pigment. I've had several different spp of birds in our yard with anomalous white plumage. Here's a pinyon jay that visited every day for an entire season. Normally, they're all blue with no white, but this guy had a lot of white on him.

Hope you enjoy the forum! There are a lot of really nice and knowledgeable birding folk here.

Attachments

• Pinyon jay - leucistic.jpg
    Pinyon jay - leucistic.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 296
thanks katy and karwin for the info. this is a great resource! it's been a few years since i've been able to do serious birding , unfortunately. today my two year old grandaughter , Madi, identified the bird at the feeder as a woodpecker!

I have a Sparrow with a white tail feather who visits regularly for food.The only one in the bunch with the white tail.

annie burton said:
thanks katy and karwin for the info. this is a great resource! it's been a few years since i've been able to do serious birding , unfortunately. today my two year old grandaughter , Madi, identified the bird at the feeder as a woodpecker!

Never too young to start birding! If you say your grand-daughter could ID as to species, I'm hanging up the bins! LOL!

OMG, Karwin, what an adorable picture! And she's not even 2 -- then. Loved the scope (which was almost bigger than she is) on the shortened tripod. Thanks for sharing.

127 lifers?! 3:) I'm not hangin' up my bins!

Hi Annie. I just joined to reply to your thread. The grackles are back to my corner of the Tucson area over the past several weeks. I was very surprised to see some with a snow white central section of tail (if it is one feather, it's a big feather) that contrasted quite beautifully with the black. I suppose it could have been only one bird that I have seen several times, but I assumed it was a subspecies and that I was seeing a few instead of one repeatedly. So I did a bunch of google searches and was very surprised to turn up nothing outside of your post. If I am seeing only an individual, I have a feeling there will be more of these birds in the future from the way the female birds surrounded him.

annie burton said:
hello , anybody out there know why a grackle would have a single white feather on its tail? we've seen him at the feeder for two years now.

hello Tarn, and welcome to the forum. I've not been on for a while, and just read your reply. The grackle I see has the white central tail feather also. I kind of think it's the same grackle, since the white feather is just left of center. Wish I was in Arizona, since that's my dream. The roadrunners really fascinate me!
See you around,
annie burton

annie burton said:
hello Tarn, and welcome to the forum. I've not been on for a while, and just read your reply. The grackle I see has the white central tail feather also. I kind of think it's the same grackle, since the white feather is just left of center. Wish I was in Arizona, since that's my dream. The roadrunners really fascinate me!
See you around,
annie burton
Hey, Annie, if you're ever in southern California, you'll see roadrunners there, too. My first ever was in the Santa Monica Mountains above Will Rogers State Park. Of course, they're a little more prevalent here in AZ. ;) You should definitely come out west -- the birding is fabulous!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back