• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norwich Birding (1 Viewer)

Glad u got it mate. As I left for work this morning I was lucky enough to watch 21x waxwings drop on to the telegraph wires in front of me. Superb! I watched as hey took off only to land again on telegraph wires on Gloucester street ,Norwich . They've brighten my day up even if it is overcast out here!

R. Cleverley

Nice ... Sounds like the numbers are building a bit around there.

Detoured to Friars Quay before work to check that the Shag was still present, and was glad to see it zooming up and down the river, diving occasionally.

Went again after work, when it was still present but had gone to sleep behind the tree along the river edge (near Elm Hill car park). Hopefully it will stay until the weekend for any Norwich birders that want to see it but haven't been able to yet.

Attachments

• IMGP4223 (800x600).jpg
    IMGP4223 (800x600).jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 125
Great White Egret still on Earlham marsh late morning. No Redpolls for me on the UEA feeders, let alone any Mealies. Will try again in the next couple of days. Recent pics of the Cambridge Street Waxwings and the Egret attached.

Attachments

• GWE.jpg
    GWE.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Waxwing.jpg
    Waxwing.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Waxwing2.jpg
    Waxwing2.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Waxwing3.jpg
    Waxwing3.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 83
  • Waxwing6.jpg
    Waxwing6.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Dr Death

Shag still there this morning. Can be seen from the car park behind the art college, near Playhouse

Ps Doesn't look ill or weak to me.. Nice glossy plumage

Hey all,

I just heard the news that the best Shag in Norwich is dead, her name escapes me for now. Unfortunately, this also puts an end to Sacha's lengthy tenure as a world renowned animal doctor. Sach, If we ever meet, please don't tell me I am looking well, or that my hair is looking glossy ;)

God bless the dead o:D

Kieran

Haha.... I am taking appointments at my surgery tomorrow. Kieran, judging from the hair in your photo... You are fine!

Poor bird. I was worried for it. Inland seabirds are never a pleasant thing to see. a Manxie in London once was a London tick but left me with mixed feelings after seeing it looking weak and lost.

RIP ..

Gutted to hear about that ,although i had the same concerns as u sacha as regards seeing a seabird inland, but When I saw the bird( which I'm assuming is the same one) it was very active and didn't give any signs of being sick , although I'm no expert. Does anyone know the cause of death ?
Shaky

Shirley (maybe that was her name?) this has been 'shagged to death' but I'm more than a little concerned for you Kieren. Quite apart from all the 'top gear', Sacha says you are fine. Does this mean you will be keeling over tomorrow?

On more birdy matters, apparently a flock of 40+ Waxwings on Nursery Close, Hellesdon (off Middeton's Lane) for their third day and the GWE still around the West Earlham marsh area.

Reed Buntings back at Thorpe Marsh now, with three males singing this morning. Surprisingly part of the broad was frozen, with around 525 Black-headed Gulls roosting on the ice. Other than that, 14 Lapwings, Stock Dove and Sparrowhawk present, along with Pochard, Teal, Gadwall & Tufted Ducks.

Reed Buntings back at Thorpe Marsh now,
Interestingly, yesterday brought a Reed Bunting into the garden at Lakenham, where it was picking up seed under the feeders. (And our first Goldcrest, on the fatballs. :) )

Reed Buntings back at Thorpe Marsh now, with three males singing this morning. Surprisingly part of the broad was frozen, with around 525 Black-headed Gulls roosting on the ice. Other than that, 14 Lapwings, Stock Dove and Sparrowhawk present, along with Pochard, Teal, Gadwall & Tufted Ducks.

Great count of BHGulls james. i actually had 2 returning Reed Buntings at Thorpe on the 20th January and again on the 27th January . I had a nice tit flock there on Monday , containing a Treecreeper , 2x Goldcrest & a Coal tit behind the bird hide which was very nice. Also a Water rail which was very showy(for a water rail that is!).
Hope u enjoy your week off with plenty of birding I'm sure!
Happy birding
Shaky

An unexpected Norwich city centre tick with a drake Pochard on the river just north of the Lady Julian Bridge (the newish one between Queen Of Iceni & Norwegian Blue).

Whitlingham was quiet duck-wise (still not seen Goosander or Smew yet this year), but good views of Goldcrest, Water Rail, Kingfisher & a Great Black-backed Gull.

Attachments

• Pochard city (600x800).jpg
    Pochard city (600x800).jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Pochard 1 (800x602).jpg
    Pochard 1 (800x602).jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Water Rail (800x601).jpg
    Water Rail (800x601).jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Walk to Thorpe Marshes and Postwick Marshes

I visited Thorpe Marshes in Norwich today. Managed to see a couple of Water Rails (albeit brief views), 10+ Teal and high numbers of Pochard and Tufted Duck.

Then I walked along the river to Postwick Marshes. Although the marshes at first looked bleak and lifeless, a male Peregrine stormed across the marsh and put up a flock of Lapwing and Golden Plover.

The Peregrine suprisingly landed in a tree. It wasn't long before it flew off again and attempted to ambush a hunting Kestrel. It looks a bit out of place in the tree. I have previously only seen them perch on the ground, posts, rocks and buildings. Has anyone else seen a Peregrine perched in a tree?

Also of note was a Green Sandpiper that flew overhead, a Green Woodpecker (also in a tree), a confiding Goldcrest and a couple of Teal along the river.

Cheers

Steve

Like you I have mostly seen Peregrines on buildings, gate posts or the ground, but I do remember seeing a pair in a tree at Cantley in December 2010 when I went to see the Lesser White-fronted Goose.

How far along Postwick Marshes were the Golden Plover? I keep meaning to go down Boundary Lane at Thorpe, where I think you can cross the railway line and then walk through Postwick Grove and along the river for a bit? Or can you only get down to the river closer to Surlingham?

James

Then I walked along the river to Postwick Marshes. Although the marshes at first looked bleak and lifeless, a male Peregrine stormed across the marsh and put up a flock of Lapwing and Golden Plover.

The Peregrine suprisingly landed in a tree. It wasn't long before it flew off again and attempted to ambush a hunting Kestrel. It looks a bit out of place in the tree. I have previously only seen them perch on the ground, posts, rocks and buildings. Has anyone else seen a Peregrine perched in a tree?

Like you I have mostly seen Peregrines on buildings, gate posts or the ground, but I do remember seeing a pair in a tree at Cantley in December 2010 when I went to see the Lesser White-fronted Goose.

How far along Postwick Marshes were the Golden Plover? I keep meaning to go down Boundary Lane at Thorpe, where I think you can cross the railway line and then walk through Postwick Grove and along the river for a bit? Or can you only get down to the river closer to Surlingham?

James

Hi James,

Thanks for the info re Peregrines. I thought I was going mad yesterday when I saw it perched in the tree.

Yes you are right, there is a public footpath down Boundary Lane which leads to Postwick Marshes. However, there was a big puddle just before the railway line.

You can also get to the same public footpath by going down Griffin Lane and following the sign to City Boats. At City Boats the road ends and you will see a metal gate in front of you which looks like it blocks the way. However, you can walk around the left hand side of gate and you immediately join the public footpath. Keep going ahead. However, If you look to your left you will see the steps which lead over the railway back to Boundary Lane.

I walked all the way along the river until I was nearly opposite the Bramerton pub to view the Plovers. The landscape initially looked empty. The plovers were distant and only visible in flight. So a telescope is advised and be prepared for a wait.

Cheers

Steve

I visited Thorpe Marshes in Norwich today. Managed to see a couple of Water Rails (albeit brief views), 10+ Teal and high numbers of Pochard and Tufted Duck.

Also of note was a Green Sandpiper that flew overhead, a Green Woodpecker (also in a tree), a confiding Goldcrest and a couple of Teal along the river.

Cheers

Steve

I have seen the pair of Peregrines that hang around Buckenham/Cantley perched in the rookery at Buckenham many times.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back