• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Microsoft Antivirus (1 Viewer)

Geoff Pain

Rural Member
For the last couple of days when I come to view Birdforum I get the following message.
MICROSOFT ANTIVIRUS has found critical process activity on your PC.You need to clean your computer to prevent the system breakage.

I run AVG Internet Security and according to it I have no problems.

I have not run the suggested cleaning programme.I just shut down Internet Explorer and restart and the message doesn't come up again until the following day.This problem is only occuring with Birdforum and not on any other sites.Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Geoff

You both might be interested in an article in the current issue of Computeractive 16-29 October. Microsoft AV scores bottom of all the AV products in the marketplace and Microsoft have no intention of improving the product.

Could it be that you get a reaction from some advertisement that is shown on BF? Have you tried using e.g., firefox with adblock to avoid downloading the adds to see if that makes a difference?

Niels

That message sounds like Spam to me, they want you to click on something. I don't believe that you would ever get a message starting Microsoft Antivirus, as in fact there is nothing with that name. If it said Defender or Security Essentials it MIGHT be from them but not Microsoft Antivirus...

Be careful and don't click on anything...

Mike

I have had 2 episodes both on here in recent days.

I had used my history link to recheck a thread from earlier on in the day and on doing that it diverted to another website which avast brought up as a suspect Trojan. A couple of days earlier I did the same thing again by using history and this time it brought up that my computer was infected and I had to use a link to a website to clear it. I tried to x out but with no luck, Ian checked on the name of the "clearing website" [all I can remember it had 2 words and both began with v] and we managed to get instructions on how to get rid of the page and thankfully it worked.

I have avast and have run both a quick and deep scan and it has not picked anything up and also have HP defender on my system.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back