• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fox Pee? (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
I've recently moved house. The garden has a lawn area (ever diminishing as I make more beds & a pond).

Over the last few weeks I've noticed small brown patches of grass - not dead - just discoloured brown. They're not in one pool, but more like drops in a small area - as if an animal is scent marking with urine in a small patch - but moving as it does so. Generally where I put food out for the birds.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing it?

We've yet to see a Fox in the garden - though Mrs.H saw one nearby.

Do Foxes, or any other animal do this, please?

Thanks,

H

Possibly, but I've got a cat & he doesn't pee like that - maybe female cats? Do they do a dribble pee?

I've looked at images on the web & can't see much that resembles this - small bronzy patches in clusters, all small. The grass doesn't die, just gets discoloured.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but males usually mark territories, and blobs on a lawn don't seem to fit the bill. Female dogs that squat on your lawn often produce brown patches, perhaps fox females do too. As an aside, this may be why it is ok to us our pee on a compost heap, but not er ladies!

If it's fox, you should be able to smell it - from some distance - if the ones I see are anything to go by.

We get Badgers and Fox regularly although usually it's signs rather than sightings, ie poo and dug up grass. I've never seen the lawn discoloured so you may need to look elsewhere. I use about 80% of my garden for wildlife and 20% as a cottage type garden, I hate lawns as they're hard work and don't fit either criteria well. Ours still covers 30% of the 20% though :-(
Just a thought but have you considered Wombles (Hedgehogs) we don't get them here so I can't comment on that.
Luv from Dave

Not seen a Hedgehog yet - still hoping.

Yes, Dave, slowly making the garden more wildlife friendly - pond going in soon, lawn is full of plants - the less grass the better as far as I'm concerned.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back