• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Burton Mere Wetlands, Cheshire (1 Viewer)

davewalters

Absolutely blown away by this reserve. It was all new to me. I was a serious twitcher, local patcher and Cheshire birder until around 2003 and then just hung up my bins, with the exception of keeping a garden list.
My wife and I thought we'd have a look at BMW on Sunday as it's only 12 miles away and as she's recently retired her horse we're a bit stumped for things to do.
The layout of the whole place just took me straight back to my first visits to Norfolk in the late 80's. The staff in the reception hide were fantastic and the birds.....
Most obvious was a total of 46 Little Egrets. Probably nothing to todays birders but I like many others travelled several hundred miles to see my first one a few decades ago. I even twitched the first available Cheshire record at Frodsham, I think?
A few Avocet were a bit of surprise and I think a Cheshire tick (Jonathan, is that right?) and piecing the reserve together with what used to be IMF and earlier kept my wife interested for hours :-O
Anyway just wanted to share and to say that once a birder always a birder!!!!
Luv Dave Walters

BMW is a little gem and I've seen some cracking birds on the reserve.
Most recently I was lucky enough to catch up with the Cattle Egret chicks when the news first "broke" of the breeding success.

If I remember correctly Colin Wells has been "The Warden" since IMF was first opened and he's been the driving force behind the creation of BMW and the wider Wirral shore RSPB presence.
Colin is now heading into retirement but he's the sort of bloke who will just pitch up as a volunteer.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back