• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juv.BHGull June-Sep plumage, East of Tower Bridge, London yesterday. (1 Viewer)

KenM

Was struck by this very attractive (dark) individual yesterday, only the second time that I've encountered one so well marked. Have to presume that paler Juvs. are the norm and that this phase is a very ''short'' phase, as I've so rarely encountered one such as this....or do I need to get out more often?

Cheers

Attachments

• P1980654.jpeg    Juv.BHG 1..jpeg
    P1980654.jpeg Juv.BHG 1..jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 111
You need to get to BHG colonies more often 3:) perfectly normal newly-fledged youngster. They don't keep that plumage for very long though.

You need to get to BHG colonies more often 3:) perfectly normal newly-fledged youngster. They don't keep that plumage for very long though.

Cheers Nutty, I’ve never visited a BHG colony but I have “clocked” post breeding birds (presumed non breeders) returning to Wintering areas as early as June, and have only seen juvs. (Birds of the year) and their respective plumages have been far in advance of the imaged bird. Thus am assuming that this phase is perhaps ongoing for just less than a month?

If that, I think often just 2 or 3 weeks even, and before they travel very far. I'd think you should look for a potential new breeding colony within a few km of your bird :t:

Cheers Nutty, I’ve never visited a BHG colony but I have “clocked” post breeding birds (presumed non breeders) returning to Wintering areas as early as June, and have only seen juvs. (Birds of the year) and their respective plumages have been far in advance of the imaged bird. Thus am assuming that this phase is perhaps ongoing for just less than a month?

Plenty of breeding colonies of these around London these days to the detriment of Common Terns.

The nicest ‘phase’ of any of our resident Gull species - albeit short-lived a few weeks at most. The light makes it look darker than norm but these ‘Ginger’ birds really are very attractive so make the most of it:t:

Laurie -

to the east of Tower Bridge? As I recall don't a few pairs of BHG breed on rafts in St Katherines Dock

I'm more familiar with the west of town, but there's a good sized colony at the London Wetland Centre not far from central London. Perhaps closer to Ken but further out is Fishers Green as I believe he is near Epping Forest.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back