• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Show us your Pocket Monocular (1 Viewer)

bruno28

I got really into the pocket monocular recently.
Bought two Zeiss Turmon 8x21 and an Eschenbach 8x21.

The Zeiss being old still has great optics. The Eschenbach (seems to be a copy of the Docter) is made of plastic and has quite a bad quality finish. Many defects on the outside and the focusing lens is quite wobbly, which is the difference between having half the image in focus and half not. (https://youtu.be/tNDOm5GtqRA )

I do want a Docter 8x21 but cant justify the brand new price when the Zeiss is half price and has great optics and a sturdy build.

Show me your pocket monocular and what are your thoughts.

Attachments

• LRM_EXPORT_6988856713538_20191024_103611925.jpg
    LRM_EXPORT_6988856713538_20191024_103611925.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 144
I have the Russian? 5x25. I think there is also a 7x25. Good view but crudely painted red. Other colours aslo available.
Possibly Ukrainian.
5x 10 degrees
Resolution 9"
Made 16-10-86
Mass 0,130 (kg)
74x52x52 size.
Multicoated, except uncoated prisms.
Close focus for me 13ft. Probably less for many users.
Thin leather strap.
Case, leather?
minus 30C to plus 45C
+/- 5 dioptres.

I have had to score two thin lines as this monocular opens a bit more than 90 degrees.

Also several Japanese 8x21s, with various trade names.
The one I use is marked Helios 8x21 6.5 degrees.

There is a similar Wray, which I don't have.
These are all folding.

There is a tiny Russian Galilean 2.5x?

Sorry, no photos.

B.

Last edited:
I have the Russian? 5x25. I think there is also a 7x25. Good view but crudely painted red. Other colours aslo available.
Possibly Ukrainian.
5x 10 degrees
Resolution 9"
Made 16-10-86
Mass 0,130 (kg)
74x52x52 size.
Multicoated, except uncoated prisms.
Close focus for me 13ft. Probably less for many users.
Thin leather strap.
Case, leather?
minus 30C to plus 45C
+/- 5 dioptres.

I have had to score two thin lines as this monocular opens a bit more than 90 degrees.

Also several Japanese 8x21s, with various trade names.
The one I use is marked Helios 8x21 6.5 degrees.

There is a similar Wray, which I don't have.
These are all folding.

There is a tiny Russian Galilean 2.5x?

Sorry, no photos.

B.

Im going to have a look up what you have listed. Any pictures?

I just got a Docter to add to my collection and I forgot to list that I also have an USSR Helios 8x30 i got too 2 weeks ago. Really great optics! Just a lot bulkier than the foldable.

Last edited:
I have a red Leica Monovid 8x20
(photo is well known on internet)
Excellant constructions and optics,
but
just need to use it more

edj

There are small monoculars from Minox, Nikon, Opticron etc.

I have several micro monoculars around 7x20 or 8x20 (half micro binoculars).

There is a Chinese 7x20 or 8x20 Porro monocular for the grand sum of £4 or less retail.
Ex factory, probably £1.
They could probably be given away in corn flakes boxes, although they might pollute the corn flakes.

There were tiny British cameras given away with cereals.
Coronet Midgets.
The green ones are maybe £300 nowadays.
About 8 colours plus variations.
Some collectors have about twenty different variations.
There are also fake spray painted ones.

B.

Last edited:
I have a red Leica Monovid 8x20
(photo is well known on internet)
Excellant constructions and optics,
but
just need to use it more

edj
Same here. Superb quality, but not cheap. On the odd occasions I do want to carry something light and portable, I take Leica Ultravid HD 8x20s: just easier a bit to use, though once again not cheap.

I have the Nikon 7x15 HG, 5x15 HG and Leica Monovid, along with a few oddities like a Minox Makroscope and a Seibert Emoskop. I use the 5x15 most often, but I am more likely to carry Nikon 7x15 CF M binoculars or Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25.

I have the Nikon 5x15 HG. I'm no monocular power user by any means, but when I want one this tiny Nikon delivers what I'm looking for.

Anything larger than tiny just doesn't interest me. I'll carry pocket bins instead.

Attachments

• Nikon HG 5x15.jpg
    Nikon HG 5x15.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 106
Nice. I was researching on thses. They are actually made of stainless steel.

I've never seen one, but they are quite highly priced. Worth in the optics?
I have the Nikon 5x15 HG. I'm no monocular power user by any means, but when I want one this tiny Nikon delivers what I'm looking for.

Anything larger than tiny just doesn't interest me. I'll carry pocket bins instead.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I believe the Nikon HG monoculars have cases made of titanium, not that it matters. The weight difference between Ti and S.S would be inconsequential on such a small device.

The optics are w/o fault. Keeping in mind a 5x15mm optic is no powerhouse, it gives a sharp, contrasty view with a very wide field, and lot's of DOF which minimizes focusing. It also has beaucoup eye relief.

This last feature is cool for the way I use it. I enclose it in my hand by making a relaxed fist. This allows for the correct distance from my eye and acts as a light shield. Really simple to use this way.

With the cord around the neck, the optic fits easily into a tee shirt pocket.

I used to carry it a lot when walking my dog in the neighborhood for aiding in bird ID. It was very covert and didn't draw attention. Now that I'm w/o a dog it's not seeing much light.

Got my first real chance to use my zeiss turmon.
There was an old sail ship in the ocean around Manly, Sydney.

Was a great view in the distance to the turquoise water.

I put my phone onto the monocular and got this.

a5f65ad8731b0e870b2945ee15e4ef41.jpg

864a4da5260322962e7a1fdc04ac9766.jpg

0828974af253efa0cac571637368411f.jpg

Last edited:
Hello All,

I am thinking of getting a monocular as I do not have one yet.

Is the Leica Monovid (Blackline) 8 x 20 worth buying , and is it worth the rather expensive price.

Also it is the only monocular that I can find for sale in my country o:D o:D

Thanks for your responses.

Cheers.

Hi bruno,

That is the ship from the Goonies (1985), or something similar.
I still enjoy this movie.

Great photos, by the way.

Regards,
B.

Last edited:
Hello All,

I am thinking of getting a monocular as I do not have one yet.

Is the Leica Monovid (Blackline) 8 x 20 worth buying , and is it worth the rather expensive price.

Thanks for your responses.

Cheers.

Hi 42za,

here is my 2 ct:

Most people - myself included - who own one, and have others to compare with, will probably rate the Monovid the best built and best performing 8x20 monocular available today.
I would say that it is well worth the high price, but whether it is worth you spending so much money on it will depend on your expectation or demands, and on how much you intend to use the precious instrument.

Canip

The Monovid is outstanding, but bulky for a monocular, and having to screw in the close-focus attachment gets old really quickly. The two Nikon HG (5x15 and 7x15) are much smaller, don't need the close-focus attachment (although they don't focus as close as the Monovid with one), and are generally more convenient.

That does simplify the decision-making process, but are you sure you can't get the Nikons from Japanese sellers on eBay?

The Monovid is outstanding, but bulky for a monocular, and having to screw in the close-focus attachment gets old really quickly. The two Nikon HG (5x15 and 7x15) are much smaller, don't need the close-focus attachment (although they don't focus as close as the Monovid with one), and are generally more convenient.

That does simplify the decision-making process, but are you sure you can't get the Nikons from Japanese sellers on eBay?

Hello All,

Fazalmajid , I unfortunately live in a very corrupt country and buying from Ebay is a crapshoot at best , the goods will be "lost" or stolen and will not reach me , just saying ;) ;) ;)

Also thanks to the other posters that replied to my question.

It appears that the Monovid is a very good product , I must still decide on what to do.

o:D

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back