• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (43 Viewers)

Getting a little bit lost off here...

Are disabled people ruining birding? I thought it was photographers?

Can I still go birding with my friends that are disabled? Can I use their disability as an excuse for bad behaviour?

Now I am worried.

Yours in anticipation...

Your not the only one who is lost, Jonny.

I like this Jason though, kid can spit some sick lyrics.

I am so glad I took up bird watching as a hobby. It is such a relaxing and peaceful way to spend my time. Sometimes I like to take photographs of the birds which I see. Although they are never rare it gives me great pleasure to look at them on my computer at home. Birdwatching and photography are such peaceful activities ..... :hippy: :smoke:

Ron

This rant from Mick Saunt is the biggest load of rubbish I’ve heard in years. I was one of the 6 people standing in the group photograph. The distance that we were standing (c.10m from the privet hedge) was well outside the minimum distance the bird was happy with us standing. This was based on the fact I had been there the previous day for 4 hours and people were standing much closer to the bird and it showed no nervousness to people moving around noisily.
Mick’s accusation that people scared the bird by moving is very doubtful, people did move, I wasn’t one of them I hasten to add. The bird flew down to the bird bath and spent around 20 seconds and took around 3 gulps of water before flying back into the tree and certainly didn’t appear to have flown due to people moving slightly. This was definitely part of the pattern the bird has been showing during its stay. The bird tended to feed on the fat balls for 5-10 minutes then it normally goes for a drink, 3 to 4 gulps then back into the sycamore tree for a quiet period (c.30 mins) to digest its last meal. Therefore the above fitted with the regular pattern and the accusation that people scared the bird off of the bird bath in this instance is complete and utter fantasy.
I assume that Mick was one of the 3 folks, 2 of which had cameras that were standing further back than everyone else. As well as us there were approximately 10 additional people standing on the other side of the road at roughly an equal distance to the bird/garden to what we were. I’m happy for him to stand back that’s his choice, but from that position you wouldn’t get a decent shot because the bird looked pants on the bird bath and the bird feeders from a photographers point of view. We were stood quietly at the furthest distance that it was possible to see the bump on the bottom of the sycamore trunk were the bird occasionally alighted. This was the most desirable spot to get the bird perched for a nice photograph. A quick search of the web reveals lots of pictures of the bird on this spot. In fact the picture mentioned Mick that was given to the owners was a picture of the bird in this position and was obviously taken from roughly the point we were stood! Interestingly once Mick and the other moaner cleared off, we asked the owner if we could throw a few raisins in and around the garden and wow! He came down and then came down right in front of us only a few feet away and seemed unperturbed by a rush of birders clanking tripods.
Mick, here is a bit of advice, what you need to do is get out and start doing some bird finding and gaining general experience in birds and their habits after a while you will get the hang of it. This is far better than running around chasing other peoples birds and being so sad that you just want to moan about others that are far more competent than yourself. Unfortunately these days the twitching scene is full of low level bird spotters like you. In the old days people used to get a local patch familiarise themselves with the common species then consider travelling more widely in search of new birds, this went along with swotting up on the identification of less familiar birds such as melodious/icterine warbler or Mediterranean gull etc. Sadly these days are long gone people go straight to the twitching scene and don’t have a clue about what they are looking at. A good example of this is the recent Melodious warbler in Notts, good on the finder for noticing something different. But for crying out loud the bird was being watched virtually all day before someone with an ounce of knowledge and ability made the correct ID. That’s an example what has happened to the state of the typical twitching crowd. I’m not against beginners but for heaven’s sake I don’t like to be told where to stand by folks who don’t have a clue what they are looking at.
Another thing I can’t understand is why people seem to think it’s good to arrive at a twitch to watch the bird facing the sun in terrible heat haze when they can scarcely see anything more than a blob and think that a satisfactory ‘tick’. The whole idea of going to see a rare bird is that you are supposed to be familiarising yourself with the identification features for future reference when you might be lucky enough to come across one for yourself. I don’t know whether it’s just laziness in walking or just general lack of interest in the bird once the tick has been trainspotted. The melodious warbler incident proves this point none of the people twitching the melodious warbler had any idea what they were looking at, none of them bothered to look at the ID features before travelling to see the bird, how pathetic!
At the RCS none of us wanted to move back due to the fact that we were trying to enjoy the bird as the 3 idiots 5m behind were talking really loudly, joking and talking general drivel, they sounded like they were all bloody deaf to me. I caught some bull about the bird getting blown off course and rubbish about some birds the 3 in the group were bragging about seeing, Yawn!
This seems to be a big problem these days at twitches with people making constant loud noise that frequently prevents the bird coming out into the open. As said earlier In fact the majority of people these days at twitches are absolutely clueless as to what they are watching, but appear to be experts in the tolerance to a birds approachability. A lot of photographers at rarities these days try to sit quietly to the side and wait for the bird to come to them. This can be difficult as if you try to do this all you get is a load of numpties stood directly behind you chatting loudly arms waving about and constantly clanking tripods standing directly over where the bird wants to come out while you’re sitting quietly hoping for the bird to show. Well if you do this expect to be walked in front of, its people trying to get away from the numpties.
Also I will add I was never on Dunwich heath taking pictures of Dartford warblers except for the day I had a walk there when I rough-legged buzzard fly over, If I had seen someone on there that day I would have remembered. Other than that the only other day I’ve been up there was the day of the Daurian shrike so Pete I think you must be confusing me with someone else.

Talking of ill informed rants, what the hell do you know about the Melodious situation? Several of us 'idiots' spent a good deal of time noting what we could from fleeting views and carefully listening to its intermittent vocalisations, and then engaged in lengthy discussion about problems with the initial identification. Your contribution was what exactly?

Surely this argument would have been more effective had it taken place at the time? Rather than a few days later behind keyboards....
Not taking sides here (Mainly because i've lost where this was going...)but there are better ways of sorting this out, private message perhaps?

Talking of ill informed rants, what the hell do you know about the Melodious situation? Several of us 'idiots' spent a good deal of time noting what we could from fleeting views and carefully listening to its intermittent vocalisations, and then engaged in lengthy discussion about problems with the initial identification. Your contribution was what exactly?

You beat me to it! I was there Friday and would have challenged anyone to nail its ID then - some excellent guys on site hadnt questioned it..... Adam (Spurn) takes great credit for questioning it and after stunning photos showed its PP it made life a good deal easier later that night. But during the first day or so these photos/views hadnt taken place.

Why start on the ID of that bird?!

Surely this argument would have been more effective had it taken place at the time? Rather than a few days later behind keyboards....
Not taking sides here (Mainly because i've lost where this was going...)but there are better ways of sorting this out, private message perhaps?

Wise words Oliver. There are better ways of sorting it out.

But, I'd be telling porkies if I said I wasn't enjoying this at least a little bit.....;)

Must be a slow birds day! Hopefully things will kick off on the patch tonight, but in a much less confrontational manner!

Cheers,
Jim.

Wise words Oliver. There are better ways of sorting it out.

But, I'd be telling porkies if I said I wasn't enjoying this at least a little bit.....;)

Must be a slow birds day! Hopefully things will kick off on the patch tonight, but in a much less confrontational manner!

Cheers,
Jim.

Oh its amazing to read......! ;)
Have the mods seen it yet? Maybe they are enjoying it too?

Best of luck for this evening :t:

Oli

I believe my post to have been measured and reasonable, in its request. (Others, of course, have the inalienable right to differ.) Some of the reaction is neither: in fact, being highly pejorative, even threatening- what the authors are purporting to condemn.

I would advise the exercise of much greater balance in these vituperations- as much for the preservation of sanity as any other consideration.

As for ‘speaking out’: the recent Roller, for instance, did not allow any approach within about 100 metres, if not much further. When a photographer at one of my daily visits asked around, to see if anyone objected to his advancing on the bird, I told him I did, as did others. On his protestations, I proferred the above explanation, as to why this was not a good idea. Obviously this did not suffice, as he went away, muttering.

Agree. It was a sod to see on Saturday. Difficult. Very difficult.

Getting a little bit lost off here...

Are disabled people ruining birding? I thought it was photographers?

Can I still go birding with my friends that are disabled? Can I use their disability as an excuse for bad behaviour?

Now I am worried.

Yours in anticipation...

Lets just hope nobody from ATOS is reading this thread;)

Lets just hope nobody from ATOS is reading this thread;)

I wouldn't worry; this was the organisation that occupied in several places offices on the first and second floors, and then claimed that many supposedly disabled people hadn't turned up for the interviews...:C
MJB

Red Kites!

We are very pleased to say that we have seen a pair of Red Kites gliding over Norwich Road in Wymondham a few days ago and once again over Kett's Park today, though this time a single adult, which we believe to be one of the pair from our previous sighting.

Agree. It was a sod to see on Saturday. Difficult. Very difficult.

I also found it to be 'ideal' in terms of the way people behaved when was there (Friday evening); everyone kept very quiet, any conversation was hushed even when people were trying to direct others onto the bird, everyone moved around as softly as they could, no one attempted to lure it out with a recording. The whole thing was just as 'proper' as it could be; plenty of respect for the bird and other birders on show and it nicely balanced a rather pessimistic feeling I had about the state of the scene after a couple of recent incidents where I've had to intervene to try and stop bad behavior from birders and photographers.

We are very pleased to say that we have seen a pair of Red Kites gliding over Norwich Road in Wymondham a few days ago and once again over Kett's Park today, though this time a single adult, which we believe to be one of the pair from our previous sighting.

Sorry no bird news here ;) only kidding. Great bird to see,, especially a pair!

I'd be fuming if I was outed on the internet as a birder as well. I'd like to choose the time and place I break it to friends and family.

Admitting you have an addiction is the first step. It is nothing to be ashamed of and it should give you great strength to know that you can face your issues.

"A twelve-step program is a set of guiding principles (accepted by members as 'spiritual principles,' based on the approved literature) outlining a course of action for recovery from addiction, compulsion, or other behavioral problems"

I hope this has helped you face your demons, we're all behind you...

;)

On Wednesday when the RCS was not being seen around the feeders. I walked east and onto the raised bank. There were flocks totalling into three figures made up entirely of fledged juveniles coming off the salt marsh and resting on the last houses.Whereas in the town there were mainly adults possibly on second broods. So perhaps they have not done so badly.

We get reasonably large flocks in June at Upton Warren Worcs, made up almost entirely of Juvs, with a few accompanying adults. It would appear that the 1st broods join together and are taken to the countryside to fatten up. The adults then continue to raise their 2nd broods. This would make sense as there would be no juveniles competing for food, that would be required for the chicks.B :)

Last edited:
Admitting you have an addiction is the first step. It is nothing to be ashamed of and it should give you great strength to know that you can face your issues.

"A twelve-step program is a set of guiding principles (accepted by members as 'spiritual principles,' based on the approved literature) outlining a course of action for recovery from addiction, compulsion, or other behavioral problems"

I hope this has helped you face your demons, we're all behind you...

;)

Except the photographers, who are in front of me. (Insert appropriate smiley to defuse angry replies).

quote "It would show grace on your part, if slightly more than a smidgen of apology (to Mick) was forthcoming, Kevin."

Are you serious, you have got to be kidding me, do you live in the real world, I got to doubt that.
It is Mick that needs to retract his photo which is in fact liable in so many ways and cowardly.
He has got his response from us normal thinking people that he so flippantly abuses, and deservedly so.
Bullies have no place in society nor do there followers.
God you make me sick, you would not dare say what you are saying to there faces because your all cowards and that is what bullies are, cowards.

Nothing to do with me mate I don't know any of you.But you are contradicting yourself a bit by calling the other geazer a 'bully' but to be fair mate , you are sounding a bit of a bully to me.8-P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back