• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (44 Viewers)

Yet another hedge is being torn up. The photo below shows that on the eastern border of the field east of the westernmost track at Warham Greens. It joins one no longer there, north of the coast road between Sheringham and Weybourne.

I don’t think the Winter Thrushes/Berries Survey would turn up much there !

The Highland beast below was standing in the Loch to the east of Stiffkey.

The Speckled Wood was fading almost visibly before my eyes at Friary Hills.

Attachments

• 043pse.jpg
    043pse.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 030pse.jpg
    030pse.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 010pse.jpg
    010pse.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 51
Autumn?

There is a pair of Egyptian Geese with four recently fledged goslings at Pull's Ferry in Norwich this afternoon. Not unprecedented (Birds of Norfolk mentions a brood in November and several mid-winter breeding attempts), but the latest brood I've seen by quite a way!
Hi James,

I saw what I presume must be the same young Egyptian Goose family at Cow Tower at around 1330. The young gosling count then was 7. Hopefully the other 3 were hiding up somewhere when you saw them :eek!:

Interestingly, I remember my earliest recorded brood of the year being Egyptian Geese as well (Irstead in early March).

Also of interest were 2 House Martins nearby on Ferry Lane still going to a nest.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for that. I suspect the other three were around somewhere, I initially went to have a look after my fiancee had seen two goslings, so some were clearly out of sight then. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Interesting to hear about the House Martins too. I live nearby and have seen them over the summer, but didn't know there was still a brood that haven't left yet.

Incidentally my earliest Egyptian Goose brood was in February at Holkham Lake a few years ago, and they tend to be the first birds to breed at Whitlingham each year.

Regards,
James

Hi James,

I saw what I presume must be the same young Egyptian Goose family at Cow Tower at around 1330. The young gosling count then was 7. Hopefully the other 3 were hiding up somewhere when you saw them :eek!:

Interestingly, I remember my earliest recorded brood of the year being Egyptian Geese as well (Irstead in early March).

Also of interest were 2 House Martins nearby on Ferry Lane still going to a nest.

Regards

Steve

Last edited:
yellow-browed warblers

There are still two around the dell area at wells, showing well with perseverance, much harder to snap though !

On a different note, does anybody know why every scrape at Cley is flooded, there were very few waders there today just ducks. Surely our flagship reserve should be managed to accommodate passage waders at this time of year. Maybe flood one of pat's, simmond’s or north for the ducks but all three ?

Attachments

• IMG_3222.JPG
    IMG_3222.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 166
I believe Penny means that it is ‘cropped’, Pat.

My photo in #17701 is partially of a crop (potatoes), mainly harvested. The red potato-picking-behemoth is out of the shot, but I think I was told last year it cost about £400,000.

Do we have any more instances of hedge removal and, more pertinently, is there anything to be done about it, rather than just sitting on the fence ?

Good website. Forum on there though, looking at this thread, are you sure that is a good idea!

I echo the first remark. As for yet another ‘forum’, Shirley there is a limit to how many interweb-based, (virtual) social interaction sites to which one can meaningfully contribute ? There is a life ‘out there’ to be lived, birds to find/see . . .

I suppose one could see if the farmland is part of the Natural England Higher Lever Stewardship scheme, but I would suggest it isn't looking at the photo.
Thanks Penny. Be in touch.

Just returned from Buckingham Marshes, I was quite shocked and delighted to see a Ruddy Shelduck, hanging out with the Greylags and Barnacles.
I'm guessing this might be the same bird that was seen on Breydon water in the week? Anyone shed more light on this?

There were also three Ruddy Shelducks (two females and a juv) on Breydon Water near Burgh Castle same day - and one flew over nearby Hardley which might be your bird going for a wander. I think most of the Ruddys we get here, come across from a feral population on the continent and the majority of these arrive in the late summer / autumn.

Last edited:
Might be worth checking with North Norfolk District Council to see if they have received an application for the hedge to be removed. Certain hedges are protected under the 1997 Hedgerows Regulations and their removal requires planning permission. NNDC are usually pretty good at acting when a hedge has been taken down without permission.

I believe Penny means that it is ‘cropped’, Pat.

My photo in #17701 is partially of a crop (potatoes), mainly harvested. The red potato-picking-behemoth is out of the shot, but I think I was told last year it cost about £400,000.

Do we have any more instances of hedge removal and, more pertinently, is there anything to be done about it, rather than just sitting on the fence ?

I echo the first remark. As for yet another ‘forum’, Shirley there is a limit to how many interweb-based, (virtual) social interaction sites to which one can meaningfully contribute ? There is a life ‘out there’ to be lived, birds to find/see . . .

John I know the estate has a lot of HLS , but not sure if it covers that field. Its possible that the hedge will be replaced as it has caused a lot of problems in the past. The hawthorns are big , ivy covered and very top heavy ( ideal for birds ) . Most winters the track gets blocked several times during winter gales.

Down to the sea...

First up, thanks for the nice comments about the osprey/lon-tailed skua pics I put up the other day. And now for a silly question. Any suggestions for a photography trip to a local beach at the weekend? I'm not expecting anything rare but wonder if there might be somewhere with a good likelihood of something to photograph on the shoreline. I had a walk at Happisburgh on Sunday afternoon and saw young ringed plovers and turnstones and offshore three Brent geese flying south. Or is still too early in the year? Thanks in advance - The Novice

Dave
Just out of interest, if you had stopped, how would you have established that they were a family group?

John

Interesting question, John.
Are you referring to ageing the birds
or
the assumption that adults and juvs from the same family would still be congregating together?

Last edited:
Interesting question, John.
Are you referring to ageing the birds
or
the assumption that adults and juvs from the same family would still be congregating together?

Was thinking of the ageing. If three or four adults, presume migrants, any other combination at this time of year is problematical to establish a family party. Plus trying to be argumentative ;)

John

John, sadly I don't think there is much one can do, it infuriates me to see not only this, but the constant hedge trimming. Berries laying strew along local roads.. this along with the war against verges and you can see why our wildlife struggles

Was thinking of the ageing. If three or four adults, presume migrants, any other combination at this time of year is problematical to establish a family party. Plus trying to be argumentative ;)

John

You, argumentative, can't believe thato:)

I think behaviour is quite key at this time of year as well.
They seemed to ascend from the same wood and just cruise and interact with each other in a friendly 'teaching' manner!
Wonder if anyone could point me in the direction of online papers on family groups and interaction?

Its a pity , but hedgerow management in Norfolk is a good example of what I call the "Norfolk farmers disease". They just have to have a neat tidy farm and leave little room for wildlife. If it was not for the money they get from pheasant shooting to pay for the game habitat Norfolk would be one big field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back